* environment setup script
@ 2016-04-14 17:31 Sid Price
From: Sid Price @ 2016-04-14 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello, I am new to Yocto and relatively new to Linux. I am working my way
through the "Getting Started" guide and I have met a problem. I am trying to
run the "environment-setup ." script for the arm platform. First I notice
that when I list the folder /opt/poky/2.0.1 I see the scripts but they are
not shown as executable. Is this correct? When I try the following command I
am told "Permission denied":

/opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi

If I use sudo I see "command not found"

Any pointers would be very much appreciated,

Sid

Sid Price

Desktop Application and Embedded System Design

* Re: environment setup script
@ 2016-04-14 17:42 ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2016-04-14 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sid Price, yocto

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM Sid Price <sidprice@softtools.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am new to Yocto and relatively new to Linux. I am working my way
> through the “Getting Started” guide and I have met a problem. I am trying
> to run the “environment-setup …” script for the arm platform. First I
> notice that when I list the folder /opt/poky/2.0.1 I see the scripts but
> they are not shown as executable. Is this correct? When I try the following
> command I am told “Permission denied”:
>

> /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi
>

> If I use sudo I see “command not found”

The setup script has to be *sourced* into your shell, not run. The
instructions most likely included a leading '.' but you missed it. Either
type '. /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi' or
'source /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi' in
your shell.

* Re: environment setup script
@ 2016-04-14 17:44 ` Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2016-04-14 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sid Price; +Cc: yocto

Maybe I can help with this one, Sid.

First step is to install "sudo". So, ... with your package manager see if
"sudo" is a listed package. Barring that, try "su -", enter your root
password and do "apt-get sudo". At this point, you will need to use the
command "visudo" to add your user to the sudoers list. Google this for more
complete instructions. Finish by exit from the root bash prompt to exit
from root.

Then you should be able to use "sudo apt-get install <something>".

Charles

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Sid Price <sidprice@softtools.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am new to Yocto and relatively new to Linux. I am working my way
> through the “Getting Started” guide and I have met a problem. I am trying
> to run the “environment-setup …” script for the arm platform. First I
> notice that when I list the folder /opt/poky/2.0.1 I see the scripts but
> they are not shown as executable. Is this correct? When I try the following
> command I am told “Permission denied”:
>

> /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi
>

> If I use sudo I see “command not found”
>

> Any pointers would be very much appreciated,
>
> Sid
>

> *Sid Price*
>
> *Desktop Application and Embedded System Design*

Charles Krinke

* Re: environment setup script
@ 2016-04-14 17:54   ` Sid Price
From: Sid Price @ 2016-04-14 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christopher Larson', yocto

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM Sid Price <sidprice@softtools.com <mailto:sidprice@softtools.com> > wrote:

Hello, I am new to Yocto and relatively new to Linux. I am working my way through the “Getting Started” guide and I have met a problem. I am trying to run the “environment-setup …” script for the arm platform. First I notice that when I list the folder /opt/poky/2.0.1 I see the scripts but they are not shown as executable. Is this correct? When I try the following command I am told “Permission denied”:

/opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi

If I use sudo I see “command not found”

The setup script has to be *sourced* into your shell, not run. The instructions most likely included a leading '.' but you missed it. Either type '. /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi' or 'source /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi' in your shell.

Using “source /opt/poky/2.0.1/environment-setup-armv5e-poky-linux-gnueabi” appeared to work, no errors reported. Should I now expect to see new environment variables when I use “printenv”, because I don’t see any of those mentioned in the getting started guide.

Sid

* Re: environment setup script
@ 2016-04-14 17:57   ` Sid Price
From: Sid Price @ 2016-04-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)