* [Buildroot] Understanding kernel version manipulation
@ 2013-08-07 18:06 Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2013-08-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Gentlemen:

I'm trying to understand kernel version manipulation that ends up
creating /lib/modules/linux* this morning in order to get the
/lib/modules directory to work correctly between my existing linux
kernel project (2.6.37+) and the newest buildroot.

This is part of the AM3517/Qt5 project I am working on where the TI
support department has said that they are staying on the 2.6.37+
kernel indefinitely for the LogicPD AM3517EVM.

I can create a tar.xz from the existing kernel source which has the
tricky script in scripts/setlocalversion which adds a "+" sign, so I
get linux-2.6.37+ from uname and /lib/modules/2.6.37+.

But, when I copy that .tar.xz to the dl/ directory as if it were
downloaded, I end up with /lib/modules/2.6.37 instead of
/lib/modules/2.6.37+ and modprobe sticks its tongue out when the
rootfs boots.

Could someone consider giving me a few pointers on using a custom
tarball linux kernel and understanding the extraversion addition logic
for the "+" in buildroot so I can make a bit of progress, please.

Charles

--
Charles Krinke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-08-07 18:06 UTC | newest]