* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-27 20:31 Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2013-01-27 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Gentlemen:

I have a nearly finished AM3517 project with buildroot. Thank you all
for getting me to this point.

I have an issue where the compile log runs 50000 lines. That is, "make
clean && make" produces output from all the packages being compiled.

Is there a way to add a string to selected buildroot/package
directories to tell selected packages to either not print their
compiled output, send it do /dev/null or minimize the printed output
during compile so as to focus on the one or two packages where there
are issues to be solved?

--
Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-27 20:42 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2013-01-27 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Charles> Gentlemen:
 Charles> I have a nearly finished AM3517 project with buildroot. Thank you all
 Charles> for getting me to this point.

 Charles> I have an issue where the compile log runs 50000 lines. That
 Charles> is, "make clean && make" produces output from all the packages
 Charles> being compiled.

 Charles> Is there a way to add a string to selected buildroot/package
 Charles> directories to tell selected packages to either not print
 Charles> their compiled output, send it do /dev/null or minimize the
 Charles> printed output during compile so as to focus on the one or two
 Charles> packages where there are issues to be solved?

You can compile with make -s (silent) option to make buildroot less
verbose (but it is still quite verbose).

Is the amount of output any real problem, or is it just cosmetical?
Normally if there's any build problems you only really want to look at
the last few lines (which is also why the autobuilder web page provides
a link to the last ~100 lines).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-27 21:49   ` Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2013-01-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

The key issue seems to be the web page that tracks builds for every
checkin. The 50000 lines of log takes "almost forever" to load on most
browsers and "forever" on the browsers that get indigestion and crash

So, ... at this point in the project, I am only interested in build
failures which only occur when a checkin from someone goes "awry".

The "-s" argument, is this an argument to make? As in, "make -s"

Charles

--
Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-27 22:37     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2013-01-27 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Charles> The key issue seems to be the web page that tracks builds for every
 Charles> checkin. The 50000 lines of log takes "almost forever" to load on most
 Charles> browsers and "forever" on the browsers that get indigestion and crash
 Charles> loading the page.

 Charles> So, ... at this point in the project, I am only interested in build
 Charles> failures which only occur when a checkin from someone goes "awry".

 Charles> The "-s" argument, is this an argument to make? As in, "make -s"

Yes. From man make:

      -s, --silent, --quiet
            Silent operation; do not print the commands as they are executed.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-28  2:15       ` Charles Krinke
From: Charles Krinke @ 2013-01-28  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

A related question, if I may.

Is there a way to add to ver.mk or another file in the packages
directory to tell selected packages to be silent as opposed to all
packages?

Charles

--
Charles Krinke

* [Buildroot] decreasing size of compile log
@ 2013-01-28  7:47         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2013-01-28  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Charles> A related question, if I may.
 Charles> Is there a way to add to ver.mk or another file in the packages
 Charles> directory to tell selected packages to be silent as opposed to all
 Charles> packages?

Not currently, no.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard