* Beginner Guide
@ 2013-05-29 13:24 Jie Ping Quek
From: Jie Ping Quek @ 2013-05-29 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi
   In the beginner guide in xen wiki, it uses ethernet for the bridging for
the network. So if i am using wireless instead of ethernet interface, how
should i go about it? I have try other methods using iw but i stuck in the
WDS issues with the router.

Regards
Jpeg

* Re: Beginner Guide
@ 2013-05-29 13:48 ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-05-29 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jie Ping Quek; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 21:24 +0800, Jie Ping Quek wrote:
> Hi
>    In the beginner guide in xen wiki, it uses ethernet for the
> bridging for the network. So if i am using wireless instead of
> ethernet interface, how should i go about it? I have try other methods
> using iw but i stuck in the WDS issues with the router.

Once you get wireless working you can, I think, treat it just like
Ethernet as far as Xen is concerned.

I would concentrate on getting wireless configured on the system without
Xen before moving on to getting Xen working.

However getting wireless working natively is not really a question about
Xen development (the topic of this list). I suggest you take it up with
your distro's user list or at best the xen-users@ list.

Ian.

* Re: Beginner Guide
@ 2013-05-29 13:56   ` Ben Guthro
From: Ben Guthro @ 2013-05-29 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Jie Ping Quek, xen-devel

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 21:24 +0800, Jie Ping Quek wrote:
>> Hi
>>    In the beginner guide in xen wiki, it uses ethernet for the
>> bridging for the network. So if i am using wireless instead of
>> ethernet interface, how should i go about it? I have try other methods
>> using iw but i stuck in the WDS issues with the router.
>
> Once you get wireless working you can, I think, treat it just like
> Ethernet as far as Xen is concerned.

FWIW, we at XenClient Enterprise have this disabled, as we have found
the support for it in the underlying linux drivers to be unreliable,
at best.

Your mileage may vary.

> I would concentrate on getting wireless configured on the system without
> Xen before moving on to getting Xen working.
>
> However getting wireless working natively is not really a question about
> Xen development (the topic of this list). I suggest you take it up with
> your distro's user list or at best the xen-users@ list.
>
> Ian.

* Re: Beginner Guide
@ 2013-05-30  7:52   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2013-05-30  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Jie Ping Quek, xen-devel

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:48:35PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 21:24 +0800, Jie Ping Quek wrote:
> > Hi
> >    In the beginner guide in xen wiki, it uses ethernet for the
> > bridging for the network. So if i am using wireless instead of
> > ethernet interface, how should i go about it? I have try other methods
> > using iw but i stuck in the WDS issues with the router.
>
> Once you get wireless working you can, I think, treat it just like
> Ethernet as far as Xen is concerned.

wlan doesn't support ethernet bridging (afaik), so with wlan you need to use nat for the VMs.

-- Pasi

> I would concentrate on getting wireless configured on the system without
> Xen before moving on to getting Xen working.
>
> However getting wireless working natively is not really a question about
> Xen development (the topic of this list). I suggest you take it up with
> your distro's user list or at best the xen-users@ list.
>
> Ian.

* Beginner guide
@ 2014-06-11 18:04   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-06-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:58:02 +0530, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha said:
>
> >      I just want to know what I should learn and any suggested books to
> > learn kernel programming.
>
> Learn C.  Learn C *really* well.  Especially the way the Linux
> kernel implements object-oriented concepts using callbacks through
> structures of function pointers (struct file_ops, etc...)

  particularly gcc extensions that are used extensively in the kernel:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Extensions.html

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Beginner guide
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-11 17:55 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-06-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:58:02 +0530, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha said:

>      I just want to know what I should learn and any suggested books to
> learn kernel programming.

Learn C.  Learn C *really* well.  Especially the way the Linux kernel
implements object-oriented concepts using callbacks through structures
of function pointers (struct file_ops, etc...)

Learn about race conditions and locking.

Come to grips with the fact that the Linux kernel of 2014 isn't the kernel
from 2004 - most of the code has already been looked over by lots of
professional programmers, and a lot of the low-hanging fruit has been
cleared out already.  So be prepared to accept that these days, not
everybody can be a productive kernel hacker.

However, Greg KH is *always* willing to accept any coding love you want
to give to anything in drivers/staging :)

Two very helpful book, even though they are *not* about Linux:

Maurice Bach - The Design of the Unix Operating System

McKusick - The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

Why? It's useful to understand different solutions for how to represent things
like processes, files, and devices.  And both books are an excellent way to
learn about locking in the context of OS design, as they spend a *lot* of time
on "We need to lock this data structure from this point in time until this
other thing finishes, because otherwise something else could run here and do
this other perfectly reasonable thing at just the wrong time, which would
unfortunately end up turning your entire filesystem into a steaming pile of
dingo kidneys because such-and-such will get trashed..."

And if you're bored, Elliot Organick's "The Multics System: An Examination of
its Structure" (ISBN 0-262-15012-3) has insights to be understood, 40 years
after it came out....

From: Saurabh Jain @ 2014-06-11 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

http://wiki.osdev.org/Tutorials
http://kernelnewbies.org/

these links might help u .

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Pranay Srivastava <pranjas@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2014 7:19 PM, "Ben" <ben@cock.li> wrote:
> >
> > While on the subject of books, is Understanding the Linux Kernel - 3rd
> edition worth reading (it covers 2.6)?
>
> yes. if you've hardcopy then open the code and browse through it.
> otherwise use two monitors. :-p.
>
> switching back n forth through windows makes me loose concentration...
>
> without reading and understand the code along with the book wont be as
> helpful as it can be.
>

> > On 06/11/2014 02:28 AM, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>       My name is Prudhvee and I'm purusing my undergraduate second
> year. I'm intrested in kernel development but I'm unable to understand how
> to get into it.
> >> Can you please help me to become a kernel developer.
> >>
> >>      I just want to know what I should learn and any suggested books to
> learn kernel programming.
> >>
> >>  Thank you,
> >>  Prudhvee.

*Saurabh Jain *

*B.Tech Student*

*Computer Science & Engineering *

*Malaviaya  National Institute of Technology , Jaipur*
*"*
*To the question of your life you are the answer, and to the problems of
your life you are the solution.? *
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Beginner guide
@ 2014-06-11 14:55   ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2014-06-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-11 13:39 ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2014-06-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-11 12:08     ` sanjeev sharma
From: sanjeev sharma @ 2014-06-11 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello Prudhvee,

I would suggest first start with Kernel Basic and O.S Concept to understand
where Kernel really fits in O.;S and then gradually speed up to learn How
Kernel works by referring interesting books like Kernel Development by
Robert Love and also have source code handy to map the Kernel source code
with Book to understand the functionality.I Bet you that once you done
with  Kernel Development by Robert Love then you can start working in
community and then will let you know next step.

Regards
Sanjeev Sharma

@ 2014-06-11  7:21   ` Rohan Puri
From: Rohan Puri @ 2014-06-11  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2014-06-11  7:05 ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2014-06-11  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha
<prudhvi.sada@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>       My name is Prudhvee and I'm purusing my undergraduate second year. I'm
> intrested in kernel development but I'm unable to understand how to get into
> it.
> Can you please help me to become a kernel developer.

I would suggest get the foundations right first and let's hope you know good C,
tricks are good to know but you should be able to understand code
written by others and be able to integrate the knowledge with what you
already know.

If you haven't used semaphores or mutexes in user space code then do
that first, understand why is the need. For example why you need to
have a sycall to get a semaphore
but when working with pthreads you probably don't need that.

Understand compiler and make it your friend. Errors you get while
compiling, and things you can do for example why  ((struct
mystruct*)(0))->member fails when you run code but &(((struct
mystruct*)(0))->member) works.

Basic idea is to get to understand how would you do it yourself, get
some ideas in your mind see if they should work or not. You may be
able to write code maybe without going through all that but in the
long run it would help.

>      I just want to know what I should learn and any suggested books to
> learn kernel programming.

Take an operating system course first. Get to know the basics then you
can try to understand kernel code. You can start with LDD, i think a
new version is available now, but take an OS course in parallel or
read yourself.

>  Thank you,
>  Prudhvee.

        ---P.K.S

* Beginner guide
@ 2014-06-11  6:47 ` Asutosh Das
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Asutosh Das @ 2014-06-11  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

check out eudyptula challenge

On 11 June 2014 11:58, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha <prudhvi.sada@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>       My name is Prudhvee and I'm purusing my undergraduate second year.
> I'm intrested in kernel development but I'm unable to understand how to get
> into it.
> Can you please help me to become a kernel developer.
>
>      I just want to know what I should learn and any suggested books to
> learn kernel programming.
>
>  Thank you,
>  Prudhvee.

Thanks & Regards