* using module_autoload
@ 2013-05-29 13:01 Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-29 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm failing to load a kernel module named spike doing this:
1) add the recipe (inherit module), based in a Makefile with
modules_install:
$(MAKE) INSTALL_MOD_DIR=kernel/drivers/spike -C $(KERNEL_SRC) M=$(SRC)
modules_install
2) Add the package to the image with IMAGE_INSTALL += "spike" in the
local.conf file
3) In the machine/mymachine.conf I've added
        MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "spike"
        module_autoload_spike = "spike"

The driver gets added to the image and I can load it with insmod spike,
however, I would like to load it at boot time.
A workaround is to create a file with the name spike.conf and write spike
inside. Copying that file to /etc/modules-load.d/spike.conf
loads the driver correctly, but I need to do it from a recipe.

Can anyone spot what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Katu

* Re: using module_autoload
@ 2013-05-29 14:39 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-05-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:01:11PM +0100, Katu Txakur wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm failing to load a kernel module named spike doing this:
> 1) add the recipe (inherit module), based in a Makefile with
> modules_install:
> $(MAKE) INSTALL_MOD_DIR=kernel/drivers/spike -C $(KERNEL_SRC) M=$(SRC)
> modules_install
> 2) Add the package to the image with IMAGE_INSTALL += "spike" in the
> local.conf file
> 3) In the machine/mymachine.conf I've added
>         MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "spike"
>         module_autoload_spike = "spike"
>
> The driver gets added to the image and I can load it with insmod spike,
> however, I would like to load it at boot time.
> A workaround is to create a file with the name spike.conf and write spike
> inside. Copying that file to /etc/modules-load.d/spike.conf
> loads the driver correctly, but I need to do it from a recipe.
>
> Can anyone spot what am I doing wrong?

module_autoload won't work with external module unless you inherit also
kernel-module-split

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: using module_autoload
@ 2013-05-29 14:55   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2013-05-29 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur, Martin Jansa; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 29 May 2013 16:39:48 Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:01:11PM +0100, Katu Txakur wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm failing to load a kernel module named spike doing this:
> > 1) add the recipe (inherit module), based in a Makefile with
> > modules_install:
> > $(MAKE) INSTALL_MOD_DIR=kernel/drivers/spike -C $(KERNEL_SRC) M=$(SRC)
> > modules_install
> > 2) Add the package to the image with IMAGE_INSTALL += "spike" in the
> > local.conf file
> > 3) In the machine/mymachine.conf I've added
> >
> >         MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "spike"
> >         module_autoload_spike = "spike"
> >
> > The driver gets added to the image and I can load it with insmod spike,
> > however, I would like to load it at boot time.
> > A workaround is to create a file with the name spike.conf and write spike
> > inside. Copying that file to /etc/modules-load.d/spike.conf
> > loads the driver correctly, but I need to do it from a recipe.
> >
> > Can anyone spot what am I doing wrong?
>
> module_autoload won't work with external module unless you inherit also
> kernel-module-split

Note that module.bbclass already does this, so if the external module recipe
already does "inherit module" then that is not the problem.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: using module_autoload
@ 2013-05-29 15:32     ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

Martin, Paul, thanks for your help.
Yes, the recipe does inherit module.
Any other problem that you can think off?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Katu

@ 2013-05-29 15:34       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-05-29 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On 13-05-29 11:32 AM, Katu Txakur wrote:
> Martin, Paul, thanks for your help.
> Yes, the recipe does inherit module.
> Any other problem that you can think off?

Note: if you are on master, Martin said "module-split", not
"module".

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-05-29 15:48         ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

Guys,
I'm using the gumstix repo
https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo and I don't have any
module-split bbclass.
The module.bbclass inherits module-base.bbclass and module_strip.bbclass,
but the latest is empty.
Do you think my problem could be related with that? module_strip is also
inherited by kernel.bbclass

thanks a lot,
Katu

@ 2013-05-29 16:14           ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-05-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 04:48:58PM +0100, Katu Txakur wrote:
> Guys,
> I'm using the gumstix repo
> https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo and I don't have any
> module-split bbclass.
> The module.bbclass inherits module-base.bbclass and module_strip.bbclass,
> but the latest is empty.
> Do you think my problem could be related with that? module_strip is also
> inherited by kernel.bbclass

That looks like danny release, so you don't have this commit
http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/meta/classes/kernel-module-split.bbclass?id=51928b6b5ca0a46a9dcd754483a19af58b95fa18

You can backport it if you want, but without this module_autoload won't
work for external modules.

@ 2013-05-30  8:49             ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-30  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

Thanks again Martin,
I tried with that kernel-module-split.bbclass but although I got no errors,
it didn't work :(
Can I create the file spike.conf and tell the recipe or the Makefile to
copy it to /etc/modules-load.d ?
how can I do that?

Thanks again, I would be completely stuck without your help
Katu

@ 2013-05-30 11:34               ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2013-05-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 09:49:13AM +0100, Katu Txakur wrote:
> Thanks again Martin,
> I tried with that kernel-module-split.bbclass but although I got no errors,
> it didn't work :(

Did you just copy that file from master/dylan to danny? It wont work,
because it depends also on other changes, e.g.

http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/meta/classes/package.bbclass?id=5aa52c6882d2929b2e530c4fa297c6d3e97d4f9f

This version of that class is compatible with danny:
https://github.com/openwebos/meta-webos/commit/c5a3676e69ab54d62f29d7bbeb6a4ac517eb1c33

and this is the usage:
https://github.com/openwebos/meta-webos/commit/c9f91ecf31ebb602a8a86c8e2017ca431e2623e8

> Can I create the file spike.conf and tell the recipe or the Makefile to
> copy it to /etc/modules-load.d ?
> how can I do that?

Yes you can do the same in recipe as what that bbclass does in more
generic way, depends on how many modules you need to fix..

@ 2013-05-30 16:44                 ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: yocto

yes, I copied the file directly and you're right, it didn't work.
I did the same thing with the danny compatible file and now it's working :)
so, the solution was:

1) copy the kernel-module-split.bbclass<https://github.com/openwebos/meta-webos/blob/c5a3676e69ab54d62f29d7bbeb6a4ac517eb1c33/classes/kernel-module-split.bbclass>
your layer
2) add inherit module kernel-module-split to the recipe of your driver
3) in the machine.conf file add
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "mydriver"
module_autoload_mydriver += "mydriver"

Thanks a lot for your help, I can now jump to the next problem! :)
Katu

@ 2013-05-30 17:12               ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2013-05-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katu Txakur; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, yocto

On May 30, 2013, at 1:49 AM, Katu Txakur <katutxakurra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks again Martin,
> I tried with that kernel-module-split.bbclass but although I got no errors, it didn't work :(
> Can I create the file spike.conf and tell the recipe or the Makefile to copy it to /etc/modules-load.d ?
> how can I do that?

Did you add the module_autoload_foo = "foo" where kernel-module-foo is the module you are interested in
to your recipe after inheriting module-split class ?
if not try that

@ 2013-05-30 23:03                 ` Katu Txakur
From: Katu Txakur @ 2013-05-30 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto