* [Xenomai] error: storage size of ‘sysinfo’ isn’t known
@ 2012-06-20 12:50 Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

Greetings,

linux-2gbt:~ # uname -a
Linux linux-2gbt 2.6.22.5-31-default #1 SMP 2007/09/21 22:29:00 UTC
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

xenomai-2.6.0
My "Power management and ACPI options" screen currently looks exactly like this:

[*] Power Management support
[ ]   Power Management Debug Support
[*] Suspend to RAM and standby
[ ] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
[ ] Run-time PM core functionality
[ ] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
[ ] SFI (Simple Firmware Interface) Support  --->
< > APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS support  --->
CPU Frequency scaling  --->
[ ] CPU idle PM support

The `CPU Frequency scaling` menu is totally disabled.

Since this link:
http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/FAQs#Tips_and_tricks_setting_up_your_x86_kernel

asks us to disable the following:

* CONFIG_APM
* CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR
* CONFIG_INTEL_IDLE
* CONFIG_CPU_FREQ

The "make" is resulting in the following errors:

include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:227: error: storage size of
‘sysinfo’ isn’t known
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:228: error: implicit declaration of
function ‘ipipe_get_sysinfo’
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:227: warning: unused variable ‘sysinfo’
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h: In function ‘rthal_get_timerfreq’:
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:234: error: storage size of
‘sysinfo’ isn’t known
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:234: warning: unused variable ‘sysinfo’
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h: In function ‘set_task_nowakeup’:
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:324: error: ‘TASK_NOWAKEUP’
undeclared (first use in this function)
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:324: error: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:324: error: for each function it appears in.)
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h: In function ‘clear_task_nowakeup’:
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h:329: error: ‘TASK_NOWAKEUP’
undeclared (first use in this function)
include/asm-generic/xenomai/hal.h: In function ‘rthal_enable_notifier’:

What could I have done wrong this time? Please help. :(

--
Anisha Kaul

* Re: [Xenomai] error: storage size of ‘sysinfo’ isn’t known
@ 2012-06-20 12:54 ` Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-20 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai

The kernel version I am using is: linux-2.6.38.8
Xenomai version: xenomai-2.6.0

What else info should I provide to help you to help me?

--

@ 2012-06-20 19:09 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-06-20 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anisha Kaul; +Cc: Xenomai

On 06/20/2012 02:50 PM, Anisha Kaul wrote:
> [ ] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->

> asks us to disable the following:
>
> * CONFIG_APM
> * CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR

I see a discrepancy here, you are told to disable CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR
and you disable CONFIG_ACPI, whereas the documentation explicitely tells
you:

"Do not disable power management globally, the only configuration
options which should be disabled in this area are:

    CONFIG_APM
    CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR

for reasons mentioned here:

http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/FAQs#Tips_and_tricks_setting_up_your_x86_kernel

In particular, keeping the ACPI enabled bears no risks of high
latencies, whereas disabling it may prevent your system from booting
correctly."

> What could I have done wrong this time? Please help. :(

You seem to have botched the kernel preparation of configuration, as
usual. From what I can remember, this is the third time I help you
configuring your kernel configuration. Can't you simply keep the kernel
configuration from one trial to the next, and reuse it, instead of
trying again from scratch, and making the same mistakes, and asking for
help, again and again? What do you think, that our time is unlimited and
you can get us to do your job for free?

So, now the answer is: get your head out of your ass, find and fix the
problem yourself, I am tired of answering you.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] error: storage size of ‘sysinfo’ isn’t known
@ 2012-06-21  5:46   ` Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: Xenomai

On 21/06/2012, Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org> wrote:
> I see a discrepancy here, you are told to disable CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR
> and you disable CONFIG_ACPI,

I was indeed reading the `make menuconfig` options wrongly. But,
changing this option didn't help. I also tried to redo some other
changes that I had done previously, but nothing helped in  getting rid
of those errors.
So, finally I just deleted those directories containing extracted
xenomai and linux files, and started from scratch again - this time
very carefully selecting every option.

The kernel is still compiling on my computer, but this time it has
gone past the stage where it met those errors. I hope it'll get
peacefully compiled this time.

> find and fix the problem yourself, I am tired of answering you.

Of course I do feel that I have tested your patience with these kind
of configuration errors. I am myself sick of recompiling xenomai and
kernel over and over. I do wish to start with the programming things
now. I hope this is the last time I am doing this.

I surely won't bug this mailing list with the configuration issues at
least, in future. And no, I am not taking you for granted, I am
utterly grateful for all the patience you've shown by now.
Pardon me all the inconvenience I have caused you.

--
Anisha Kaul