* [Xenomai] CONFIG_CPU_FREQ, CONFIG_APM. kernel - 2.6.38.8
@ 2012-06-01  5:54 Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-01  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Greetings,

W.r.t kernel - 2.6.38.8

This page http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.6/TROUBLESHOOTING
asks us to disable "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ".

Power management and ACPI options
-->CPU Frequency scaling
-->-->CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE
-->-->CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND
-->-->CPU_FREQ_PMAC64
-->-->CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE
-->-->CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE
-->-->CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE

There isn't any particular option named "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ".
Does this mean that we have to disable whole bunch of all these above options?

Same is the case with "CONFIG_APM". It also has various variants as follows:
APM_CPU_IDLE
APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND
APM_DO_ENABLE

Location is said to be in:
--> Power management and ACPI options
-->--> APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS support (APM [=n])

But in kernel 2.6.38.8 there isn't any option called "APM (Advanced
Power Management) BIOS support" anywhere.
"Power management and ACPI options" results in the following menu.

  [*] Power Management support
  [*]   Power Management Debug Support
  [*]     Extra PM attributes in sysfs for low-level debugging/testing
  [ ]     Verbose Power Management debugging
  [*] Suspend/resume event tracing
  [*] Suspend to RAM and standby
  [ ]   Test suspend/resume and wakealarm during bootup
  [*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
  ()    Default resume partition
  [*] Run-time PM core functionality
  [*] ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
  [*] SFI (Simple Firmware Interface) Support  --->
  CPU Frequency scaling  --->
  -*- CPU idle PM support
  [ ]   Cpuidle Driver for Intel Processors (NEW)
  Memory power savings  --->

  "ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support"  results
in the following menu:

  --- ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
                                                  │ │
  │ │                                                [*]   Deprecated
/proc/acpi files
                               │ │
  │ │                                                [*]   Deprecated
power /proc/acpi directories
                               │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   ACPI 4.0
power meter
                                 │ │
  │ │                                                < >   EC
read/write access through /sys/kernel/debug/ec (NEW)
                                       │ │
  │ │                                                [*]   Deprecated
/proc/acpi/event support
                               │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   AC Adapter

                              │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Battery

                              │ │
  │ │                                                {M}   Button

                              │ │
  │ │                                                {M}   Video

                              │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Fan

                              │ │
  │ │                                                [*]   Dock

                              │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Processor

                              │ │
  │ │                                                < >   IPMI (NEW)

                              │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Processor
Aggregator
                                │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Thermal
Zone
                                  │ │
  │ │                                                -*-   NUMA
support
                                     │ │
  │ │                                                ()    Custom DSDT
Table file to include
                              │ │
  │ │                                                [*]   Debug
Statements
                                    │ │
  │ │                                                [ ]
Additionally enable ACPI function tracing
                                        │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   PCI slot
detection driver
                                 │ │
  │ │                                                {M}   Container
and Module Devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
                                │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Memory
Hotplug
                                   │ │
  │ │                                                <M>   Smart
Battery System
                                    │ │
  │ │                                                < >   Hardware
Error Device (NEW)
                                 │ │
  │ │                                                [ ]   ACPI
Platform Error Interface (APEI) (NEW)
                                     │ │
  │ │

  Has some names been changed or I am simply missing some point?
  Please guide.

Regards,
-Anisha

* Re: [Xenomai] CONFIG_CPU_FREQ, CONFIG_APM. kernel - 2.6.38.8
@ 2012-06-01  7:12 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
       [not found]   ` <CAM1yFZ-KEO3Z7K+YXDBZdZExrYe3jffd6jfS-FM7W=8Zu2jdsA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-06-01  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anisha Kaul; +Cc: xenomai

On 06/01/2012 07:54 AM, Anisha Kaul wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> W.r.t kernel - 2.6.38.8
>
> This page http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.6/TROUBLESHOOTING
> asks us to disable "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ".
>
> (...)
>   Has some names been changed or I am simply missing some point?
>   Please guide.

No, all the options are still there in linux 2.6.38.8. I am a bit
surprised that given the time you have spent been asking questions on
this list you still have not built and run Xenomai.

The real hard part of the job using Xenomai is to start writing
applications using it and debugging them, not installing, compiling and
configuring it.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] CONFIG_CPU_FREQ, CONFIG_APM. kernel - 2.6.38.8
@ 2012-06-01  7:17   ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
       [not found]   ` <CAM1yFZ-KEO3Z7K+YXDBZdZExrYe3jffd6jfS-FM7W=8Zu2jdsA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-06-01  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anisha Kaul; +Cc: xenomai

On 06/01/2012 09:12 AM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 07:54 AM, Anisha Kaul wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> W.r.t kernel - 2.6.38.8
>>
>> This page http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.6/TROUBLESHOOTING
>> asks us to disable "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ".
>>
>> (...)
>>   Has some names been changed or I am simply missing some point?
>>   Please guide.
>
> No, all the options are still there in linux 2.6.38.8. I am a bit
> surprised that given the time you have spent been asking questions on
> this list you still have not built and run Xenomai.
>
> The real hard part of the job using Xenomai is to start writing
> applications using it and debugging them, not installing, compiling and
> configuring it.

Forgot that:

$ find linux -name '*Kconfig*' | xargs grep 'config \(APM$\|CPU_FREQ$\|ACPI_PROCESSOR$\)'
linux/drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:config CPU_FREQ
linux/drivers/acpi/Kconfig:config ACPI_PROCESSOR
linux/arch/x86/Kconfig:menuconfig APM

--
                                                                Gilles.

@ 2012-06-01 14:08     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2012-06-01 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anisha Kaul; +Cc: Xenomai

On 06/01/2012 10:39 AM, Anisha Kaul wrote:
> On 1 June 2012 12:42, Gilles Chanteperdrix
> <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org> wrote:
>
>> I am a bit surprised that given the time you have spent been asking questions on
>> this list you still have not built and run Xenomai.
>
> I did install Xenomai quite a time back, even ran "hello world" and
> xeno-test on it, but with a different kernel version.
> Then I had to format the harddisk and all over again.
> Now, I don't know why I am having a hard time configuring the things
> on this new kernel. :(
>
>> Forgot that:
>> $ find linux -name '*Kconfig*' | xargs grep 'config \(APM$\|CPU_FREQ$\|ACPI_PROCESSOR$\)'
>> linux/drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig:config CPU_FREQ
>> linux/drivers/acpi/Kconfig:config ACPI_PROCESSOR
>> linux/arch/x86/Kconfig:menuconfig APM
>
> Thankful to you for the hint.
> The problem was that I am configuring the kernel through the "make
> menuconfig" command.
> That command presents a "GUI". The APM option is simply not visible in
> that GUI. I looked again.

The GUI has a "research" function. I believe in make menuconfig it is
the '/' character.

> Now, I'll figure out the modification of those Kconfig files directly.

The Kconfig are the data used by make menuconfig to build the menu. You
do not want to modify them.

This said, this list may not be the best place to ask questions about
configuration/compilation of the Linux kernel.

Please no private mails.

--
					    Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] CONFIG_CPU_FREQ, CONFIG_APM. kernel - 2.6.38.8
@ 2012-06-01 15:04       ` Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-01 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: Xenomai

> Please no private mails.

Deep apologies for the "private" mail. To be honest that was NOT the
intention at all.
I use Gmail. So, I forgot to click "reply all". I clicked "reply".
That made the difference.

> The GUI has a "research" function. I believe in make menuconfig it is
> the '/' character.

I did send the mail "after" using the "/" function. And no APM it is
still not there.
I have already created a thread on the LinuxQuestions.org, hope it'll
get solved.
They said I need to enable some options in the .config file.

> The Kconfig are the data used by make menuconfig to build the menu. You
> do not want to modify them.

Thanks for the information. Yes, now I remember.

* Re: [Xenomai] CONFIG_CPU_FREQ, CONFIG_APM. kernel - 2.6.38.8
@ 2012-06-04  4:46         ` Anisha Kaul
From: Anisha Kaul @ 2012-06-04  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: Xenomai

>> The GUI has a "research" function. I believe in make menuconfig it is
>> the '/' character.

It is solved now. The problem was that APM depends on X86_32.
Mine machine is 64bit. That's why APM isn't there.

--
Anisha