* util-linux and --enable-raw with recent kernels
@ 2021-10-12 16:27 Federico Pellegrin
From: Federico Pellegrin @ 2021-10-12 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
Running on a quite recent kernel (5.14.10 from Fedora 34) I've came across
a problem when building util-linux (2.35.2) native, namely in the configure
phase:

configure: error: raw selected, but required raw.h header file not available

After a bit or research I believe it is due to:
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1820154.html

Which is related to the change in the recent kernels here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/603e4922f1c81fc2ed3a87b4f91a8d3aafc7e093#diff-10d697dff14540ee1eb6539dcc53b2b88844b6187c1995c0698ba0936754304a
where the raw.h file was indeed removed.

As per first link it may not be obvious to fix, and don't see an upstream
fix for it, but from the Yocto perspective my current workaround is
basically just to remove "--enable-raw" from the EXTRA_OECONF to disable
the raw feature.

While the whole image seemed to build fine with this, I'm not very sure if
that configuration option had a precise use (which maybe it's being
skipping in my specific build) or not, so I wanted to ask the experts if
there is any opinion on this and/or should I do a merge request that
removes it to handle this problem, at least until there is a better
solution upstream in util-linux?

Many thanks,
Federico

* Re: [yocto] util-linux and --enable-raw with recent kernels
@ 2021-10-12 16:55 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-10-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/12/21 9:27 AM, Federico Pellegrin wrote:

> Hello,
> Running on a quite recent kernel (5.14.10 from Fedora 34) I've came
> across a problem when building util-linux (2.35.2) native, namely in the
> configure phase:
>
> configure: error: raw selected, but required raw.h header file not available

you might want to use latest master, fix that you might find useful is

https://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=7f577c10913104860121f682b9b3754870c4db23

@ 2021-10-13  3:01   ` Federico Pellegrin
From: Federico Pellegrin @ 2021-10-13  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)