* OpenEmbedded Virtual Stand at FOSDEM 2021
@ 2021-01-13 21:33 Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2021-01-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

OpenEmbedded has been accepted to hold a "virtual stand" at FOSDEM
2021 which is taking place online this year on Sat 6th Feb & Sun 7th
Feb, based around the CET timezone.

Most of you will be familiar with FOSDEM by now, but if not let me
give a quick bit of background on the event. This is the Free and Open
Source Developers' European Meeting and usually takes place in
Brussels in early February each year. The event won't be happening
in-person in Brussels this year due to the current pandemic but I
think it's still important to take advantage of this opportunity of
connecting with other contributors to OpenEmbedded & Yocto Project as
well as other members and projects within the wider open source
community. For more information see the FOSDEM 2021 website at
https://fosdem.org/2021/.

This virtual stand will consist of a Matrix chat room (likely with
Jitsi video chat) along with hosting space for static web pages &
video within the FOSDEM 2021 website. The details on all of this are
still being figured out but right now we've got enough information to
start planning our involvement. What we're looking for is:

* Any participants in the project who want to help host the Matrix
chat room between 09:00 and 18:00 each day of the event. This will
likely involve introducing the project to folks dropping in the chat
who aren't familiar with OpenEmbedded, answering basic questions and
chatting about example uses of the project. You don't need to be a
long-standing expert in the project to help out here! If you can do a
couple of hours or a half day please let us know.

* Any folks who would like to help build the static web pages for the
stands section of the FOSDEM 2021 website. FOSDEM is using the Hugo
static website generator so the content will be written as Markdown
files which are converted to html by hugo. Further information is
available in the README file at
https://github.com/FOSDEM/stands-website/blob/master/README.md. I'm
hoping that someone is willing to take the lead on this as I'm already
very busy in the runup to FOSDEM. I'm available to help set up git
repositories, test things out and review content.

* Any contributions of video content to go along with the static web
pages. I'm planning to record some short introductory video content
but other contributions would also be welcome. Details on how to
upload videos is expected in the near future but for now it would be
good to just collect folks who are interested so we can discuss this
further.

If you're interested in any of the above please reply to me and/or the
list. I look forward to virtually seeing many of you at FOSDEM 2021!

Paul Barker
Konsulko Group

* Re: [yocto] OpenEmbedded Virtual Stand at FOSDEM 2021
@ 2021-01-14 11:02 ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2021-01-14 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13/01/2021 23:33, Paul Barker wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> * Any participants in the project who want to help host the Matrix
> chat room between 09:00 and 18:00 each day of the event. This will
> likely involve introducing the project to folks dropping in the chat
> who aren't familiar with OpenEmbedded, answering basic questions and
> chatting about example uses of the project. You don't need to be a
> long-standing expert in the project to help out here! If you can do a
> couple of hours or a half day please let us know.

Let's try to come up with some schedule when I should be there and just
let me know how the join the chat.

> * Any contributions of video content to go along with the static web
> pages. I'm planning to record some short introductory video content
> but other contributions would also be welcome. Details on how to
> upload videos is expected in the near future but for now it would be
> good to just collect folks who are interested so we can discuss this
> further.
>
> If you're interested in any of the above please reply to me and/or the
> list. I look forward to virtually seeing many of you at FOSDEM 2021!

What kind of video would you like? A small video which explains a
specific topic?

Something like this?[1]

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpEN953pzs&feature=youtu.be

> Thanks,

Regards,

Robert

* Re: [yocto] OpenEmbedded Virtual Stand at FOSDEM 2021
@ 2021-01-14 15:36   ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2021-01-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Berger, Paul Barker, openembedded-core,
	openembedded-devel, Yocto-mailing-list

I have some photos of stands from the past that would be fun to add to
the stand web page. I can watch chat some, mainly during times I am
awake in the US East coat though.

Philip

On 1/14/21 6:02 AM, Robert Berger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13/01/2021 23:33, Paul Barker wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> * Any participants in the project who want to help host the Matrix
>> chat room between 09:00 and 18:00 each day of the event. This will
>> likely involve introducing the project to folks dropping in the chat
>> who aren't familiar with OpenEmbedded, answering basic questions and
>> chatting about example uses of the project. You don't need to be a
>> long-standing expert in the project to help out here! If you can do a
>> couple of hours or a half day please let us know.
>
> Let's try to come up with some schedule when I should be there and just
> let me know how the join the chat.
>

>> * Any contributions of video content to go along with the static web
>> pages. I'm planning to record some short introductory video content
>> but other contributions would also be welcome. Details on how to
>> upload videos is expected in the near future but for now it would be
>> good to just collect folks who are interested so we can discuss this
>> further.
>>
>> If you're interested in any of the above please reply to me and/or the
>> list. I look forward to virtually seeing many of you at FOSDEM 2021!
>
> What kind of video would you like? A small video which explains a
> specific topic?
>
> Something like this?[1]
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpEN953pzs&feature=youtu.be
>

>> Thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

* Re: [oe] OpenEmbedded Virtual Stand at FOSDEM 2021
@ 2021-01-21 13:02 ` Leon Anavi
From: Leon Anavi @ 2021-01-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

On 13.01.21 г. 23:33 ч., Paul Barker wrote:
> * Any participants in the project who want to help host the Matrix
> chat room between 09:00 and 18:00 each day of the event. This will
> likely involve introducing the project to folks dropping in the chat
> who aren't familiar with OpenEmbedded, answering basic questions and
> chatting about example uses of the project. You don't need to be a
> long-standing expert in the project to help out here! If you can do a
> couple of hours or a half day please let us know.
I will be happy to help with this task as a volunteer for a couple of
hours during FOSDEM 2021.

Best regards,
Leon

--
Leon Anavi
Software Engineer

* Re: [yocto] OpenEmbedded Virtual Stand at FOSDEM 2021
@ 2021-01-22 15:09   ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2021-01-22 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.berger.yocto.user

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 11:02, Robert Berger@yocto.user
<robert.berger.yocto.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 13/01/2021 23:33, Paul Barker wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > * Any participants in the project who want to help host the Matrix
> > chat room between 09:00 and 18:00 each day of the event. This will
> > likely involve introducing the project to folks dropping in the chat
> > who aren't familiar with OpenEmbedded, answering basic questions and
> > chatting about example uses of the project. You don't need to be a
> > long-standing expert in the project to help out here! If you can do a
> > couple of hours or a half day please let us know.
>
> Let's try to come up with some schedule when I should be there and just
> let me know how the join the chat.
>

> > * Any contributions of video content to go along with the static web
> > pages. I'm planning to record some short introductory video content
> > but other contributions would also be welcome. Details on how to
> > upload videos is expected in the near future but for now it would be
> > good to just collect folks who are interested so we can discuss this
> > further.
> >
> > If you're interested in any of the above please reply to me and/or the
> > list. I look forward to virtually seeing many of you at FOSDEM 2021!
>
> What kind of video would you like? A small video which explains a
> specific topic?
>
> Something like this?[1]
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpEN953pzs&feature=youtu.be

I'd say video content for FOSDEM should be around the level of the
things we'd show on the stand, short demos or introductions which can
be understood by people not too familiar with the details of the
project.

I'm going to record a short "Introducing OpenEmbedded" presentation
based around the way I usually pitch the project to folks who turn up
at our FOSDEM stand and ask what the project is about. I may also do a
quick build & boot demo with a Raspberry Pi if I have time to record
that.

Paul Barker
Konsulko Group