* [Xenomai] how can I use the Xenomai functions in ROS1?
@ 2018-08-30 18:32 Matheus Pinto
From: Matheus Pinto @ 2018-08-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi everbody,

I have my reasons for wanting to integrate ROS1 (Robot Operating System)
with Xenomai.

I would just like it to be possible to use the functions of ROS1 (create
node, publish, subscribe, ...) within a real-time task (do not necessarily
guarantee predictability in ROS functions).

I created a question in ROS community for this subject:

https://answers.ros.org/question/301491/how-can-i-use-the-xenomai-functions-in-ros/?comment=301568#post-id-301568

But as guided by them it might be a good idea to ask the Xenomai community
to help me.

As can be seen in ROS community question, using a ROS function inside a
task generate a runtime error:

'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::lock_error>
>'
      what():  boost: mutex lock failed in pthread_mutex_lock: Invalid argument
    Aborted

By the way, the ROS library when trying to use a mutex function of
libboost, causes the program to be terminated from within the task.  Does
not Xenomai allow you to use other thread functions within a real-time
task? If yes, how could I get around this problem?

--
Atenciosamente*,*

*Matheus Leitzke Pinto*
Professor de Sistemas Embarcados

*Campus Chapecó*
+55 (49) 33 13 12 44 <callto:+5549333131244>

*Instituto Federal de Santa Catarina - Campus Chapecó*
Rua Nereu Ramos, 3450 D - Seminário, Chapecó - SC, 89813-000
<http://www.chapeco.ifsc.edu.br>www.chapeco.ifsc.edu.br

* Re: [Xenomai] how can I use the Xenomai functions in ROS1?
@ 2018-09-01  4:12 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-09-01  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lpinto.matheus; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:32 PM Matheus Pinto <lpinto.matheus@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everbody,
>
> I have my reasons for wanting to integrate ROS1 (Robot Operating System)
> with Xenomai.
>
> I would just like it to be possible to use the functions of ROS1 (create
> node, publish, subscribe, ...) within a real-time task (do not necessarily
> guarantee predictability in ROS functions).

Not directly, I'd recommend using a framework like RTROS to achieve this.

> I created a question in ROS community for this subject:
>

> https://answers.ros.org/question/301491/how-can-i-use-the-xenomai-functions-in-ros/?comment=301568#post-id-301568
>
> But as guided by them it might be a good idea to ask the Xenomai community
> to help me.
>
> As can be seen in ROS community question, using a ROS function inside a
> task generate a runtime error:
>

> 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::lock_error>
> >'
>       what():  boost: mutex lock failed in pthread_mutex_lock: Invalid
> argument
>     Aborted

 This could be an issue where non RT threads try to use RT resources, many
errors can be generated if care isn't taken when using RT and non RT
resources in the same process. or thread  Look at the presentation that the
ROS community linked in your question, using the RTROS framework you should
be able to achieve what  you are looking for.

By the way, the ROS library when trying to use a mutex function of
> libboost, causes the program to be terminated from within the task.  Does
> not Xenomai allow you to use other thread functions within a real-time
> task? If yes, how could I get around this problem?

Please look over the getting starting area of the Xenomai wiki.  It should
answer some of your questions.

thanks

Greg

--

@ 2018-09-01 14:34   ` Matheus Pinto
From: Matheus Pinto @ 2018-09-01 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greg; +Cc: xenomai

Hi Greg,

This could be an issue where non RT threads try to use RT resources, many
> errors can be generated if care isn't taken when using RT and non RT
> resources in the same process. or thread  Look at the presentation that the
> ROS community linked in your question, using the RTROS framework you should
> be able to achieve what  you are looking for.

I looked at the video and got in touch with the presenters of this RTROS,
because the source code is not available in any place for download.
However, I got no response.

Also, through an internet search, it can be seen that there is an paper
about RTROS, but of other authors from a different university:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167739X15001831. The
source code is not available either.

Thanks