* [dm-crypt] trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs
@ 2014-03-20 14:48 Stephen Cousins
From: Stephen Cousins @ 2014-03-20 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I am testing dm-crypt with a system that serves data over NFS. I'm finding
that when serving the data over NFS4 it will go for a little while and then
it will just stop copying and networking on the NFS server will stall out
so that other connections to other parts of the storage (a non-dm-crypt
volume) will become very laggy. Soon after canceling the copy the other
connections resume back to normal.

I have tried this on two different servers, one with a single disk with ZFS
and another with a ZFS raidz2 pool and they both do the same thing. CPU
doesn't seem to be an issue. Doing local copies is not a problem. That is,
copying to/from these volumes made up of dm-crypted disks from other disks
on the server have no problems.

One system (the one with the RAID pool) is CentOS 6.4 and the other one is
CentOS 6.5.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this before and if so, what can be
done to make it work? I'm going to test to see if taking ZFS out of the
equation helps. I haven't run into this with ZFS with disks without
dm-crypt.

Thanks,

Steve

 Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
 Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System
 244 Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu

* Re: [dm-crypt] trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs
@ 2014-03-20 19:16   ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2014-03-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Cousins, dm-crypt; +Cc: device-mapper development

On 03/20/2014 03:48 PM, Stephen Cousins wrote:
> I am testing dm-crypt with a system that serves data over NFS. I'm
> finding that when serving the data over NFS4 it will go for a little
> while and then it will just stop copying and networking on the NFS
> server will stall out so that other connections to other parts of the
> storage (a non-dm-crypt volume) will become very laggy. Soon after
> canceling the copy the other connections resume back to normal.
>
> I have tried this on two different servers, one with a single disk
> with ZFS and another with a ZFS raidz2 pool and they both do the same
> thing. CPU doesn't seem to be an issue. Doing local copies is not a
> problem. That is, copying to/from these volumes made up of dm-crypted
> disks from other disks on the server have no problems.
>
> One system (the one with the RAID pool) is CentOS 6.4 and the other
> one is CentOS 6.5.
>
> I'm curious if anyone else has run into this before and if so, what
> can be done to make it work? I'm going to test to see if taking ZFS
> out of the equation helps. I haven't run into this with ZFS with
> disks without dm-crypt.

Hi,

unfortunately the dmcrypt code in Centos 6.x is not what is upstream
kernel (mainly because of per cpu processing changes upstream).
(It would be interesting if it is reproducible with upstream kernel,
but I guess it is not easy to test...)

I am adding cc to dm-devel list, maybe someone there could have some idea
how to help here.

Milan

> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>

> -- ________________________________________________________________
> Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
> Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System 244
> Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
> <tel:%28207%29%20561-3574> Orono ME 04469
> steve.cousins at maine.edu <http://maine.edu>

* Re: trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs
@ 2014-03-20 19:16   ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2014-03-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Cousins, dm-crypt-4q3lyFh4P1g; +Cc: device-mapper development

@ 2014-03-20 22:12     ` Stephen Cousins
From: Stephen Cousins @ 2014-03-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz; +Cc: dm-crypt, device-mapper development

I'm getting mixed results but it is looking like ZFS have something to do
with the problem afterall.

I tried it with dm-crypt -> XFS -> NFS and I'm not seeing the same lag
issue. I say mixed results mainly because I've been using rsync to do the
testing and for some reason rsync has trouble with this setup. It works but
really slowly. Like around 3 MB/sec over a Gigabit link. If I use "cp -pR"
then it goes at 60 MB/sec. I use rsync all the time and I've never seen
this before so it took a while for me to realize that rsync was acting up.
Anyone run into this before?

I'll bring this to the ZFSonLinux people and see what they say.

Thanks,

Steve

 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu

From: Stephen Cousins @ 2014-03-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz; +Cc: dm-crypt-4q3lyFh4P1g, device-mapper development

 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu

* Re: [dm-crypt] trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs
  (?)
@ 2014-03-27 17:56     ` Stephen Cousins
From: Stephen Cousins @ 2014-03-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz; +Cc: dm-crypt

I'm following up on this to let you know that it has been identified as a
ZFS sync issue that has been addressed recently. No need to contact
dm-devel.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu

* Re: [dm-crypt] trouble with dm-crypt and NFS: server hangs
@ 2014-03-27 20:28       ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2014-03-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Thank you!

Arno

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 18:56:06 CET, Stephen Cousins wrote:
> I'm following up on this to let you know that it has been identified as a
> ZFS sync issue that has been addressed recently. No need to contact
> dm-devel.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Steve
>

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Stephen Cousins <steve.cousins@maine.edu>wrote:
>
> > I'm getting mixed results but it is looking like ZFS have something to do
> > with the problem afterall.
> >
> > I tried it with dm-crypt -> XFS -> NFS and I'm not seeing the same lag
> > issue. I say mixed results mainly because I've been using rsync to do the
> > testing and for some reason rsync has trouble with this setup. It works but
> > really slowly. Like around 3 MB/sec over a Gigabit link. If I use "cp -pR"
> > then it goes at 60 MB/sec. I use rsync all the time and I've never seen
> > this before so it took a while for me to realize that rsync was acting up.
> > Anyone run into this before?
> >
> > I'll bring this to the ZFSonLinux people and see what they say.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> unfortunately the dmcrypt code in Centos 6.x is not what is upstream
> >> kernel (mainly because of per cpu processing changes upstream).
> >> (It would be interesting if it is reproducible with upstream kernel,
> >> but I guess it is not easy to test...)
> >>
> >> I am adding cc to dm-devel list, maybe someone there could have some idea
> >> how to help here.
> >>
> >> Milan

> > --
> >  Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
> >  Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System
> >  244 Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
> >  Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----
A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato