* [SPARSE] Questions for distros
@ 2017-11-04 17:25 Luc Van Oostenryck
From: Luc Van Oostenryck @ 2017-11-04 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König, Jeff Layton; +Cc: linux-sparse

Hi,

I'm making some cleanup in my dev tree and there are a few things
I'm curious about concerning what distros are doing.

I hope you don't mind to answer to those questions.

1) Do the distros use sparse's shared lib?
   I remember there was a mail about it months ago but
   I can't find it anymore.

2) Do the distros use sparse's install rule?

3) Do the distros install sparse with its pkconfig?

Thanks for your time,
-- Luc Van Oostenryck

* Re: [SPARSE] Questions for distros
@ 2017-11-04 17:43 ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2017-11-04 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Van Oostenryck, Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: linux-sparse

On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 18:25 +0100, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making some cleanup in my dev tree and there are a few things
> I'm curious about concerning what distros are doing.
>
> I hope you don't mind to answer to those questions.
>
> 1) Do the distros use sparse's shared lib?
>    I remember there was a mail about it months ago but
>    I can't find it anymore.

The Fedora and EPEL packages do not. I'm not opposed to adding it, but I
don't really need it and no one has asked for it.

> 2) Do the distros use sparse's install rule?

Yes. rpmbuild basically does a make install in a chrooted dir, and then
installs the files that end up in there.

> 3) Do the distros install sparse with its pkconfig?

No. Since we aren't packaging the shared lib, we don't bother.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>

* Re: [SPARSE] Questions for distros
@ 2017-11-04 17:56   ` Uwe Kleine-König
From: Uwe Kleine-König @ 2017-11-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Van Oostenryck; +Cc: Jeff Layton, linux-sparse

Hi Luc,

On 11/04/2017 06:43 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 18:25 +0100, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm making some cleanup in my dev tree and there are a few things
>> I'm curious about concerning what distros are doing.
>>
>> I hope you don't mind to answer to those questions.
>>
>> 1) Do the distros use sparse's shared lib?
>>    I remember there was a mail about it months ago but
>>    I can't find it anymore.
>>

> The Fedora and EPEL packages do not. I'm not opposed to adding it, but I
> don't really need it and no one has asked for it.
>
>> 2) Do the distros use sparse's install rule?
>>

> Yes. rpmbuild basically does a make install in a chrooted dir, and then
> installs the files that end up in there.
>
>> 3) Do the distros install sparse with its pkconfig?
>
> No. Since we aren't packaging the shared lib, we don't bother.

The answers for Debian are exactly the same. Ubuntu uses the Debian
packages as is.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/sparse (and
https://packages.debian.org/sid/sparse-test-inspect) have "list of
files" links for each architecture which might be quicker to answer
similar questions for you. (But I don't mind your questions.)

Best regards
Uwe

* Re: [SPARSE] Questions for distros
@ 2017-11-04 20:01   ` Luc Van Oostenryck
From: Luc Van Oostenryck @ 2017-11-04 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: Uwe Kleine-König, Linux-Sparse

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 18:25 +0100, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm making some cleanup in my dev tree and there are a few things
>> I'm curious about concerning what distros are doing.
>>
>> I hope you don't mind to answer to those questions.
>>
>> 1) Do the distros use sparse's shared lib?
>>    I remember there was a mail about it months ago but
>>    I can't find it anymore.
>>

> The Fedora and EPEL packages do not. I'm not opposed to adding it, but I
> don't really need it and no one has asked for it.

I also don't see the need for it for now.

>> 2) Do the distros use sparse's install rule?
>>

> Yes. rpmbuild basically does a make install in a chrooted dir, and then
> installs the files that end up in there.

OK, that's good to know.

>> 3) Do the distros install sparse with its pkconfig?
>
> No. Since we aren't packaging the shared lib, we don't bother.

OK, that's good because it's broken since 2013 :(

Thanks for the reply,
Luc

* Re: [SPARSE] Questions for distros
@ 2017-11-04 20:13     ` Luc Van Oostenryck
From: Luc Van Oostenryck @ 2017-11-04 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Kleine-König; +Cc: Jeff Layton, Linux-Sparse

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Uwe Kleine-König <uwe@kleine-koenig.org> wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>
> On 11/04/2017 06:43 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
>> On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 18:25 +0100, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm making some cleanup in my dev tree and there are a few things
>>> I'm curious about concerning what distros are doing.
>>>
>>> I hope you don't mind to answer to those questions.
>>>
>>> 1) Do the distros use sparse's shared lib?
>>>    I remember there was a mail about it months ago but
>>>    I can't find it anymore.
>>>

>> The Fedora and EPEL packages do not. I'm not opposed to adding it, but I
>> don't really need it and no one has asked for it.
>>
>>> 2) Do the distros use sparse's install rule?
>>>

>> Yes. rpmbuild basically does a make install in a chrooted dir, and then
>> installs the files that end up in there.
>>
>>> 3) Do the distros install sparse with its pkconfig?
>>
>> No. Since we aren't packaging the shared lib, we don't bother.
>>

> The answers for Debian are exactly the same. Ubuntu uses the Debian
> packages as is.

OK, thanks.

> https://packages.debian.org/sid/sparse (and
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/sparse-test-inspect) have "list of
> files" links for each architecture which might be quicker to answer
> similar questions for you. (But I don't mind your questions.)

I see that the .h files are installed as well as sparse.pc.
I've the intention to remove them from the install rule in my tree
because using some .h files are missing since 2013 and I don't think
anybody use it, only the executables are used. But I'm also fine to keep
it if there is some objections.

Best regards,
-- Luc