* Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-15 20:08 rustyhowell
From: rustyhowell @ 2021-02-15 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Is there a way to automatically record build time of a recipe without modifying the recipe itself?  I have a recipe that is a monster, it has many git URIs and produces many packages that are coupled. It should be broken up but company deadlines have kept us from taking the time to do this. I was talking to my boss about this. He said we really needs some concrete data about how much this monster recipe is costing us before green-lighting the massive effort to split up the recipe.  I agree with him, so I would like to know how much time is spent repeatedly building this recipe.  I figure I could do this by adding do_fetch_prepend() and writing the time to a file, and then do_install_append() and writing the time to the file. So after a week or so, I would have many start/end data points to discuss.

However, I did not want to modify the recipe itself. I was hoping to augment the recipe via local.conf. Another bbappend in a new layer would work I guess, but I was hoping there was something simpler. Thanks in advance.

* Re: [yocto] Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-15 20:12 ` Konrad Weihmann
From: Konrad Weihmann @ 2021-02-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, rustyhowell

buildstats [1] maybe? That can be inherited globally and does give some
neat results and insights

[1]
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/buildstats.bbclass

On 15.02.21 21:08, rustyhowell@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to automatically record build time of a recipe without
> modifying the recipe itself?  I have a recipe that is a monster, it has
> many git URIs and produces many packages that are coupled. It should be
> broken up but company deadlines have kept us from taking the time to do
> this. I was talking to my boss about this. He said we really needs some
> concrete data about how much this monster recipe is costing us before
> green-lighting the massive effort to split up the recipe.  I agree with
> him, so I would like to know how much time is spent repeatedly building
> this recipe.  I figure I could do this by adding do_fetch_prepend() and
> writing the time to a file, and then do_install_append() and writing the
> time to the file. So after a week or so, I would have many start/end
> data points to discuss.
>
> However, I did not want to modify the recipe itself. I was hoping to
> augment the recipe via local.conf. Another bbappend in a new layer would
> work I guess, but I was hoping there was something simpler. Thanks in
> advance.

* Re: [yocto] Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-16  6:11   ` Yocto
From: Yocto @ 2021-02-16  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2/16/21 3:12 AM, Konrad Weihmann wrote:
> buildstats [1] maybe? That can be inherited globally and does give
> some neat results and insights
>
> [1]
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/buildstats.bbclass

how about "time bitbake recipe"  :)

> On 15.02.21 21:08, rustyhowell@gmail.com wrote:
>> Is there a way to automatically record build time of a recipe without
>> modifying the recipe itself?  I have a recipe that is a monster, it
>> has many git URIs and produces many packages that are coupled. It
>> should be broken up but company deadlines have kept us from taking
>> the time to do this. I was talking to my boss about this. He said we
>> really needs some concrete data about how much this monster recipe is
>> costing us before green-lighting the massive effort to split up the
>> recipe.  I agree with him, so I would like to know how much time is
>> spent repeatedly building this recipe.  I figure I could do this by
>> adding do_fetch_prepend() and writing the time to a file, and then
>> do_install_append() and writing the time to the file. So after a week
>> or so, I would have many start/end data points to discuss.
>>
>> However, I did not want to modify the recipe itself. I was hoping to
>> augment the recipe via local.conf. Another bbappend in a new layer
>> would work I guess, but I was hoping there was something simpler.
>> Thanks in advance.

* Re: Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-16 19:43     ` rustyhowell
From: rustyhowell @ 2021-02-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

"time bitbake recipe" is perfect for manual things. But I wanted to also measure the recipe times when building the entire image.  I ended up creating  a bbappend with new pre/post tasks for the main tasks (fetch, unpack, configure, compile, install, package).   The pre task drops a timestamp file and the post task reads the file, calculates the elapsed time and logs it to a file.  It's a bit clunky but it gives the information I want.  Thanks for the help.

* Re: [yocto] Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-16 20:04       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-02-16 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:43 AM <rustyhowell@gmail.com> wrote:

> "time bitbake recipe" is perfect for manual things. But I wanted to also measure the recipe times when building the entire image.  I ended up creating  a bbappend with new pre/post tasks for the main tasks (fetch, unpack, configure, compile, install, package).   The pre task drops a timestamp file and the post task reads the file, calculates the elapsed time and logs it to a file.  It's a bit clunky but it gives the information I want.  Thanks for the help.

you could also look into using buildstats bbclass
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TipsAndTricks/InvestigatingBuildTime

* Re: [yocto] Timing a recipe
@ 2021-02-17 11:32 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2021-02-17 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustyhowell; +Cc: yocto

As said, buildstats is *exactly* what you want.  There's a forked
pybootchart in oe-core that can visualise the data too.

Ross

@ 2021-02-17 12:55       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-02-17 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustyhowell, yocto

On Tue, 2021-02-16 at 11:43 -0800, rustyhowell@gmail.com wrote:
> "time bitbake recipe" is perfect for manual things. But I wanted to
> also measure the recipe times when building the entire image.  I
> ended up creating  a bbappend with new pre/post tasks for the main
> tasks (fetch, unpack, configure, compile, install, package).   The
> pre task drops a timestamp file and the post task reads the file,
> calculates the elapsed time and logs it to a file.  It's a bit clunky
> but it gives the information I want.  Thanks for the help.

As others have said, please look at the buildstats class and the data
it saves into TMPDIR/buildstats. It should do what you want and we have
tools like pybootchart which can show it visually.

Cheers,

Richard