* qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-01  6:00 Jon Szymaniak
From: Jon Szymaniak @ 2018-06-01  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

When attempting to build core-image-minimal on sumo (@b369e61) with a
largely default local.conf, I'm experiencing qemu-native build failures due
to what appear to be an include path issue.

Below is one of the failures -- those not listed here also pertain to a
missing capstone.h.

|   CC      aarch64-softmmu/monitor.o
| In file included from /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp
/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/disas.c:9:0:

| /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native
/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/include/disas/capstone.h:6:10: fatal error:
capstone.h: No such file or directory
|  #include <capstone.h>
|           ^~~~~~~~~~~~
| compilation terminated.

In the qemu-native build directory, the config.log shows an "
 -I/usr/include/capstone" parameter being used during compilation, despite
other -I parameters using ${prefix} correctly.

capstone is pulled into the qemu source tree as a git submodule, and has a
CMake-based build -- so I'm guessing this is the result of not providing
prefix information to the CMake build? However, I'm honestly not sure why
there's a dependency on the capstone disassembler at this point, and
whether the Yocto use-case warrants even enabling support for it.

Adding --disable-capstone to the qemu.inc EXTRA_OECONF definition seemed to
address the build failure, but I haven't tried any QEMU targets yet.

I still need to dig into this a bit further, but just wanted to check in
before I go too far down the rabbit hole... this strikes me as something
that would have broken the nightly builds and therefore might just be an
issue on my end somehow.

Thanks,
Jon Szymaniak

* Re: qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-14 15:49 ` Jon Szymaniak
From: Jon Szymaniak @ 2018-06-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com> wrote:
> When attempting to build core-image-minimal on sumo (@b369e61) with a
> largely default local.conf, I'm experiencing qemu-native build failures due
> to what appear to be an include path issue.
>
> Below is one of the failures -- those not listed here also pertain to a
> missing capstone.h.
>
> |   CC      aarch64-softmmu/monitor.o
> | In file included from
> /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/disas.c:9:0:
> |
> /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/include/disas/capstone.h:6:10:
> fatal error: capstone.h: No such file or directory
> |  #include <capstone.h>
> |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~
> | compilation terminated.
>
> In the qemu-native build directory, the config.log shows an "
> -I/usr/include/capstone" parameter being used during compilation, despite
> other -I parameters using ${prefix} correctly.
>
> capstone is pulled into the qemu source tree as a git submodule, and has a
> CMake-based build -- so I'm guessing this is the result of not providing
> prefix information to the CMake build? However, I'm honestly not sure why
> there's a dependency on the capstone disassembler at this point, and whether
> the Yocto use-case warrants even enabling support for it.
>
> Adding --disable-capstone to the qemu.inc EXTRA_OECONF definition seemed to
> address the build failure, but I haven't tried any QEMU targets yet.
>
> I still need to dig into this a bit further, but just wanted to check in
> before I go too far down the rabbit hole... this strikes me as something
> that would have broken the nightly builds and therefore might just be an
> issue on my end somehow.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon Szymaniak

Sorry to be a bother -- just wanted to bump this.

Happy to work on a patch, but just wanted a sanity check to confirm
that other folks are seeing this too.

* Re: qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-14 16:43   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-06-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Szymaniak, yocto

On 6/14/18 8:49 AM, Jon Szymaniak wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 1:00 AM, Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When attempting to build core-image-minimal on sumo (@b369e61) with a
>> largely default local.conf, I'm experiencing qemu-native build failures due
>> to what appear to be an include path issue.
>>
>> Below is one of the failures -- those not listed here also pertain to a
>> missing capstone.h.
>>
>> |   CC      aarch64-softmmu/monitor.o
>> | In file included from
>> /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/disas.c:9:0:
>> |
>> /snip/build/yocto/sumo/rpi/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.11.1-r0/qemu-2.11.1/include/disas/capstone.h:6:10:
>> fatal error: capstone.h: No such file or directory
>> |  #include <capstone.h>
>> |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~
>> | compilation terminated.
>>
>> In the qemu-native build directory, the config.log shows an "
>> -I/usr/include/capstone" parameter being used during compilation, despite
>> other -I parameters using ${prefix} correctly.
>>
>> capstone is pulled into the qemu source tree as a git submodule, and has a
>> CMake-based build -- so I'm guessing this is the result of not providing
>> prefix information to the CMake build? However, I'm honestly not sure why
>> there's a dependency on the capstone disassembler at this point, and whether
>> the Yocto use-case warrants even enabling support for it.
>>
>> Adding --disable-capstone to the qemu.inc EXTRA_OECONF definition seemed to
>> address the build failure, but I haven't tried any QEMU targets yet.
>>
>> I still need to dig into this a bit further, but just wanted to check in
>> before I go too far down the rabbit hole... this strikes me as something
>> that would have broken the nightly builds and therefore might just be an
>> issue on my end somehow.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon Szymaniak
>
> Sorry to be a bother -- just wanted to bump this.

Do you have capstone development headers/libs installed on your build host ?

@ 2018-06-14 16:56     ` Jon Szymaniak
From: Jon Szymaniak @ 2018-06-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, yocto

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:43 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have capstone development headers/libs installed on your build host ?

No, and I understand that's an easy thing to address on the build host.

However, I don't think this should be necessary build host dependency.
QEMU includes the capstone codebase as a git submodule, so everything
that's needed is there.

Maybe it's just a matter of tweaking the recipe to set
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX appropriately so that when the build dives down
into the capstone directory, this points to the correct prefix?

It looks like the inclusion and use of capstone is new, as of the QEMU
version included with sumo. (i.e. This appears not to be the situation
with the version used in rocko and pyro).

* Re: qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-14 19:17       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-06-14 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jon.szymaniak; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:56 AM Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:43 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have capstone development headers/libs installed on your build host ?
> >

> No, and I understand that's an easy thing to address on the build host.
>
> However, I don't think this should be necessary build host dependency.
> QEMU includes the capstone codebase as a git submodule, so everything
> that's needed is there.
>
> Maybe it's just a matter of tweaking the recipe to set
> CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX appropriately so that when the build dives down
> into the capstone directory, this points to the correct prefix?
>
> It looks like the inclusion and use of capstone is new, as of the QEMU
> version included with sumo. (i.e. This appears not to be the situation
> with the version used in rocko and pyro).

Least intrusive approach would be to disable it if its not something you
depend on.

* Re: qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-14 20:08         ` Jon Szymaniak
From: Jon Szymaniak @ 2018-06-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 14:18 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:56 AM Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:43 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Do you have capstone development headers/libs installed on your build
> host ?
> > >

> > No, and I understand that's an easy thing to address on the build host.
> >
> > However, I don't think this should be necessary build host dependency.
> > QEMU includes the capstone codebase as a git submodule, so everything
> > that's needed is there.
> >
> > Maybe it's just a matter of tweaking the recipe to set
> > CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX appropriately so that when the build dives down
> > into the capstone directory, this points to the correct prefix?
> >
> > It looks like the inclusion and use of capstone is new, as of the QEMU
> > version included with sumo. (i.e. This appears not to be the situation
> > with the version used in rocko and pyro).
>
> Least intrusive approach would be to disable it if its not something you
> depend on.

Makes sense, thank you.

Two workarounds that worked for me were either adding qemu-native to
ASSUME_PROVIDED or appending “--disable-capstone” to qemu’s EXTRA_OECONF.

I’ll try to follow up with a patch to the recipe in oe-core, unless you
suspect that the source of this is merely something on my end.

* Re: qemu-native build fails on sumo due to missing capstone.h
@ 2018-06-14 21:50           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-06-14 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Szymaniak; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:08 PM Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 14:18 Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:56 AM Jon Szymaniak <jon.szymaniak@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> host ?
>> > >

>> > No, and I understand that's an easy thing to address on the build host.
>> >
>> > However, I don't think this should be necessary build host dependency.
>> > QEMU includes the capstone codebase as a git submodule, so everything
>> > that's needed is there.
>> >
>> > Maybe it's just a matter of tweaking the recipe to set
>> > CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX appropriately so that when the build dives down
>> > into the capstone directory, this points to the correct prefix?
>> >
>> > It looks like the inclusion and use of capstone is new, as of the QEMU
>> > version included with sumo. (i.e. This appears not to be the situation
>> > with the version used in rocko and pyro).
>>
>> Least intrusive approach would be to disable it if its not something you
>> depend on.
>

> Makes sense, thank you.
>
> Two workarounds that worked for me were either adding qemu-native to
> ASSUME_PROVIDED or appending “--disable-capstone” to qemu’s EXTRA_OECONF.

The fact that not everyone sees this issue makes me think that it might be
something in your environment that’s triggering this but if we disable it
then we make the issue irrelevant

@ 2019-09-30 10:42             ` David Roman
From: David Roman @ 2019-09-30 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto