* Raspberry Pi2 Fails to boot into LXDE.
@ 2017-03-08 12:40 Steve Plant
From: Steve Plant @ 2017-03-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi All,

Very new to all this linux world, and especially Yocto.

I'm working on a embedded project at the moment using a raspberry pi2 board.

I have used toaster with Morty 2.2 to compile an image using"rpi-basic-image", to this I have added the following bitbake variables:

Bitbake variables

DISTRO
poky
DL_DIR
/home/steve/poky/downloads
IMAGE_FSTYPES
ext3 jffs2 tar.bz2 rpi-sdimg
IMAGE_INSTALL_append
packagegroup-core-x11-base packagegroup-lxde-base connman
PACKAGE_CLASSES
package_rpm
SSTATE_DIR
/home/steve/poky/sstate-cache

DISABLE_OVERSCAN
1
GPU_MEM_1024
512

I have dd'ed the image to an SD card increased the sdb2 partition to the max size and powered up the rpi. Everything looks fine to start with, as it displays the four raspberrys in the top left, then the white "Yocto Project" splash screen complete with small blue dot to the side appears, the progress bar moves across to 100 percent, then the screen turns black with a white cursor in the middle and it appears to freeze with only a very dim one second flash of the "act" led.

I have then connected the 7" touchscreen and apart from the added multicolored square at the very beginning I get the exact same boot up problem, hangs on the black screen with white cursor (good to see its all resized correctly for the TfT through!!)

Before adding the packagegroup-core-x11-base and packagegroup-lxde-base I successfully copied over and ran the rpi-basic-image with no problem, ending up with a usable console.

Looking for any help here, I'm thinking I've missed adding a package, or some type of local.conf instruction. any suggestions would be appreciated.............

Regards, Steve.

* Re: Raspberry Pi2 Fails to boot into LXDE.
@ 2017-03-08 17:17 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-03-08 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Plant; +Cc: yocto

On 17-03-08 12:40:51, Steve Plant wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Very new to all this linux world, and especially Yocto.
>

> I'm working on a embedded project at the moment using a raspberry pi2 board.
>

> I have used toaster with Morty 2.2 to compile an image using"rpi-basic-image", to this I have added the following bitbake variables:
>
> Bitbake variables
>
> DISTRO
> poky
> DL_DIR
> /home/steve/poky/downloads
> IMAGE_FSTYPES
> ext3 jffs2 tar.bz2 rpi-sdimg
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append
> packagegroup-core-x11-base packagegroup-lxde-base connman
> PACKAGE_CLASSES
> package_rpm
> SSTATE_DIR
> /home/steve/poky/sstate-cache
>
> DISABLE_OVERSCAN
> 1
> GPU_MEM_1024
> 512
>
> I have dd'ed the image to an SD card increased the sdb2 partition to the max size and powered up the rpi. Everything looks fine to start with, as it displays the four raspberrys in the top left, then the white "Yocto Project" splash screen complete with small blue dot to the side appears, the progress bar moves across to 100 percent, then the screen turns black with a white cursor in the middle and it appears to freeze with only a very dim one second flash of the "act" led.
>

> I have then connected the 7" touchscreen and apart from the added multicolored square at the very beginning I get the exact same boot up problem, hangs on the black screen with white cursor (good to see its all resized correctly for the TfT through!!)
>

> Before adding the packagegroup-core-x11-base and packagegroup-lxde-base I successfully copied over and ran the rpi-basic-image with no problem, ending up with a usable console.
>

> Looking for any help here, I'm thinking I've missed adding a package, or some type of local.conf instruction. any suggestions would be appreciated.............

Can you send the content of /var/log/Xorg.log file ?

@ 2017-03-10  0:55   ` Steve Plant
From: Steve Plant @ 2017-03-10  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

OK, I have spent the last day googling my heart out trying to find the Xorg.log file without any luck.

The problem is that due to the rpi hanging on boot, the only way I can access the SD card to look for the file is place it in a USB SD card reader and use my VirtualBox based Debian to "ls" directores etc.

Having established that there is no file located at /var/log/Xorg.log (there isn't a log directory) but there is a symbolic link in the var directory - goes nowhere.

After goggling I discovered that the file could also be in the ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, however if I try to look there I get "permission denied" and cannot seem to get to the root directory of the card and I can't find a way around this as I'm trying to access this directory through the USB card reader.

Looked everywhere with no answers, Is there anyone who could help me here??

Regards, Steve.

________________________________
On 17-03-08 12:40:51, Steve Plant wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Very new to all this linux world, and especially Yocto.
>

> I'm working on a embedded project at the moment using a raspberry pi2 board.
>

> I have used toaster with Morty 2.2 to compile an image using"rpi-basic-image", to this I have added the following bitbake variables:
>
> Bitbake variables
>
> DISTRO
> poky
> DL_DIR
> /home/steve/poky/downloads
> IMAGE_FSTYPES
> ext3 jffs2 tar.bz2 rpi-sdimg
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append
> packagegroup-core-x11-base packagegroup-lxde-base connman
> PACKAGE_CLASSES
> package_rpm
> SSTATE_DIR
> /home/steve/poky/sstate-cache
>
> DISABLE_OVERSCAN
> 1
> GPU_MEM_1024
> 512
>
> I have dd'ed the image to an SD card increased the sdb2 partition to the max size and powered up the rpi. Everything looks fine to start with, as it displays the four raspberrys in the top left, then the white "Yocto Project" splash screen complete with small blue dot to the side appears, the progress bar moves across to 100 percent, then the screen turns black with a white cursor in the middle and it appears to freeze with only a very dim one second flash of the "act" led.
>

> I have then connected the 7" touchscreen and apart from the added multicolored square at the very beginning I get the exact same boot up problem, hangs on the black screen with white cursor (good to see its all resized correctly for the TfT through!!)
>

> Before adding the packagegroup-core-x11-base and packagegroup-lxde-base I successfully copied over and ran the rpi-basic-image with no problem, ending up with a usable console.
>

> Looking for any help here, I'm thinking I've missed adding a package, or some type of local.conf instruction. any suggestions would be appreciated.............

Can you send the content of /var/log/Xorg.log file ?

> Regards, Steve.

lists.yoctoproject.org
Discussion of all things about the Yocto Project. Read our Community Guidelines or learn more about how to participate in other community discussions.

* Re: Raspberry Pi2 Fails to boot into LXDE.
@ 2017-03-10  5:42     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-03-10  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2017-03-10 01:55, Steve Plant wrote:
> OK, I have spent the last day googling my heart out trying to find the Xorg.log file without any luck.
>

> The problem is that due to the rpi hanging on boot, the only way I can access the SD card to look for the file is place
> it in a USB SD card reader and use my VirtualBox based Debian to "ls" directores etc.
>
> Having established that there is no file located at /var/log/Xorg.log (there isn't a log directory) but there is a
> symbolic link in the var directory - goes nowhere.
>

> After goggling I discovered that the file could also be in the ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, however if I try to look
> there I get "permission denied" and cannot seem to get to the root directory of the card and I can't find a way around
> this as I'm trying to access this directory through the USB card reader.
>

> Looked everywhere with no answers, Is there anyone who could help me here??

/var/log is on a volatile file system (i.e. it does not live on the SD card)

If you can get into your board via SSH, you can copy the file and send it

@ 2017-03-10  7:26       ` Yusuke Mitsuki
From: Yusuke Mitsuki @ 2017-03-10  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello Steve

Would you try to other HDMI display such as PC monitor.

I suspects two points as follows.

* You enabled KMS(such as vc4graphics in MACHINE_FEATURE)
* Your display has not EDID.

If your HDMI settings in config.txt such as follows. There is a high
possibility that your HDMI display does not have EDID.

```
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
```

When your display has not EDID, KMS will fail in initalization.
In such case, you have to create EDID file manually.

I hope this helps.

2017/03/10 14:43 "Gary Thomas" <gary@mlbassoc.com>:

> On 2017-03-10 01:55, Steve Plant wrote:
>
>> OK, I have spent the last day googling my heart out trying to find the
>> Xorg.log file without any luck.
>>

>> The problem is that due to the rpi hanging on boot, the only way I can
>> access the SD card to look for the file is place
>> it in a USB SD card reader and use my VirtualBox based Debian to "ls"
>> directores etc.
>>
>> Having established that there is no file located at /var/log/Xorg.log
>> (there isn't a log directory) but there is a
>> symbolic link in the var directory - goes nowhere.
>>

>> After goggling I discovered that the file could also be in the
>> ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log, however if I try to look
>> there I get "permission denied" and cannot seem to get to the root
>> directory of the card and I can't find a way around
>> this as I'm trying to access this directory through the USB card reader.
>>

>> Looked everywhere with no answers, Is there anyone who could help me
>> here??
>>

> /var/log is on a volatile file system (i.e. it does not live on the SD
> card)
>
> If you can get into your board via SSH, you can copy the file and send it

>>> poky
>>> DL_DIR
>>> /home/steve/poky/downloads
>>> IMAGE_FSTYPES
>>> ext3 jffs2 tar.bz2 rpi-sdimg
>>> IMAGE_INSTALL_append
>>> packagegroup-core-x11-base packagegroup-lxde-base connman
>>> PACKAGE_CLASSES
>>> package_rpm
>>> SSTATE_DIR
>>> /home/steve/poky/sstate-cache
>>>
>>> DISABLE_OVERSCAN
>>> 1
>>> GPU_MEM_1024

@ 2017-03-10 13:25   ` Steve Plant
From: Steve Plant @ 2017-03-10 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Khem,

I was finally able to SSH into the raspberry pi and found the Xorg.log file, exactly where you said it would be.

Looking at it, for some reason Xorg cannot find the module evdev. I have looked for this but cannot find where it is supposed to be located.

I did notice that there was a "libevdev" which had not been included into the build, so I added that by updating the Bitbake variables with:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append
libevdev packagegroup-core-x11-base packagegroup-lxde-base connman

Rebuild the "rpi-basic-image" and copied the image to the SD card, booted up the rpi but no change. I have noticed that there is also a "python-evdev" package with is not included in the build, but that is part of the "meta-python" layer which I have not added. Do I need to add this???

Here is the Xorg.log file

[3087510.347]
X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
[3087510.347] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[3087510.347] Build Operating System: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64
[3087510.347] Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi2 4.4.48 #1 SMP Sat Feb 25 00:03:23 AEST 2017 armv7l
[3087510.347] Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=800 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=480 bcm2709.boardrev=0xa21041 bcm2709.serial=0xf9e8fbc6 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:E8:FB:C6 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 bcm2709.uart_clock=48000000 bcm2709.disk_led_gpio=47 bcm2709.disk_led_active_low=0 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3dc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f000000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait
[3087510.347] Build Date: 07 March 2017  09:16:40PM
[3087510.347]
[3087510.347] Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
[3087510.347]     Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
[3087510.347] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
[3087510.348] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 10 11:43:14 2017
[3087510.359] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[3087510.359] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[3087510.359] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[3087510.372] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[3087510.372] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[3087510.372] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[3087510.372] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[3087510.379] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
    Using a default monitor configuration.
[3087510.380] (==) Automatically adding devices
[3087510.380] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[3087510.380] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[3087510.380] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/OTF/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[3087510.383]     Entry deleted from font path.
[3087510.383] (==) FontPath set to:

[3087510.383] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[3087510.383] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
    If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[3087510.383] (II) Loader magic: 0x1c3b80
[3087510.383] (II) Module ABI versions:
[3087510.384]     X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[3087510.384]     X.Org Video Driver: 20.0
[3087510.384]     X.Org XInput driver : 22.1
[3087510.384]     X.Org Server Extension : 9.0
[3087510.384] (II) no primary bus or device found
[3087510.384] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[3087510.393] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
[3087510.393] (II) UnloadModule: "glx"
[3087510.393] (II) Unloading glx
[3087510.393] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
[3087510.394] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 0
[3087510.394] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 1
[3087510.394] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[3087510.394] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[3087510.394] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting
[3087510.394] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[3087510.394] (II) Unloading modesetting
[3087510.394] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[3087510.394] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[3087510.395] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[3087510.400] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[3087510.400]     compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 0.4.4
[3087510.400]     Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[3087510.400]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
[3087510.400] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[3087510.400] (--) using VT number 1

[3087510.408] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[3087510.408] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
[3087510.408] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[3087510.409] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
[3087510.420] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[3087510.420]     compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 0.0.2
[3087510.420]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
[3087510.421] (II) FBDEV(0): using default device
[3087510.421] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[3087510.421] (II) FBDEV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
    "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[3087510.421] (==) FBDEV(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
[3087510.421] (==) FBDEV(0): RGB weight 888
[3087510.421] (==) FBDEV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[3087510.421] (==) FBDEV(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[3087510.421] (II) FBDEV(0): hardware: BCM2708 FB (video memory: 1500kB)
[3087510.421] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against framebuffer device...
[3087510.421] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor...
[3087510.421] (--) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 800x480 (pitch 800)
[3087510.421] (**) FBDEV(0):  Built-in mode "current"
[3087510.421] (==) FBDEV(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
[3087510.422] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[3087510.422] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[3087510.422] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[3087510.459] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[3087510.459]     compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[3087510.459]     ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[3087510.459] (**) FBDEV(0): using shadow framebuffer
[3087510.459] (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
[3087510.459] (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
[3087510.459] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
[3087510.482] (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[3087510.482]     compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.1.0
[3087510.482]     ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[3087510.482] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[3087510.505] (==) FBDEV(0): Backing store enabled
[3087510.506] (==) FBDEV(0): DPMS enabled
[3087510.507] (==) RandR enabled
[3087510.831] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SIGMACH1P USB Keykoard (/dev/input/event1)
[3087510.831] (**) SIGMACH1P USB Keykoard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[3087510.831] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.832] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[3087510.832] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.832] (II) Unloading evdev
[3087510.832] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[3087510.832] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[3087510.835] (II) config/udev: Adding input device SIGMACH1P USB Keykoard (/dev/input/event2)
[3087510.835] (**) SIGMACH1P USB Keykoard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[3087510.835] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.835] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[3087510.836] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.836] (II) Unloading evdev
[3087510.836] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[3087510.836] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[3087510.837] (II) config/udev: Adding input device FT5406 memory based driver (/dev/input/event0)
[3087510.837] (**) FT5406 memory based driver: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
[3087510.837] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.838] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
[3087510.838] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[3087510.838] (II) Unloading evdev
[3087510.838] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[3087510.838] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
[3087510.839] (II) config/udev: Adding input device FT5406 memory based driver (/dev/input/mouse0)
[3087510.839] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[3087510.839] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

Regards, Steve.

________________________________

* Re: Raspberry Pi2 Fails to boot into LXDE.
@ 2017-03-10 13:31       ` Steve Plant
From: Steve Plant @ 2017-03-10 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto

Thanks Gary,

You where spot on! I have now been able to SSH into the rpi and have posted the Xorg.log file to the mailing list.

I think Xorg is failing to load correctly because it cannot find the evdev module. Looking into how to fix this now......

Regards, Steve.

________________________________

@ 2017-03-10 14:07     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-03-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2017-03-10 14:25, Steve Plant wrote:
> Hi Khem,
>

> I was finally able to SSH into the raspberry pi and found the Xorg.log file, exactly where you said it would be.
>

> Looking at it, for some reason Xorg cannot find the module evdev. I have looked for this but cannot find where it is
> supposed to be located.

This probably isn't the final problem you have - missing this module will keep your
keyboard+mouse from working, but you should get more than a black screen.

Have you thought to try master instead of morty?  The X server is working quite well
on master now - there was a problem with xf86-input-libevdev which has now been sorted.

@ 2017-03-10 15:20     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-03-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Plant; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Steve Plant <steove@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> [3087510.836] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> [3087510.837] (II) config/udev: Adding input device FT5406 memory based
> driver (/dev/input/event0)
> [3087510.837] (**) FT5406 memory based driver: Applying InputClass "evdev
> touchscreen catchall"
> [3087510.837] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> [3087510.838] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
> [3087510.838] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> [3087510.838] (II) Unloading evdev
> [3087510.838] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> [3087510.838] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> [3087510.839] (II) config/udev: Adding input device FT5406 memory based
> driver (/dev/input/mouse0)
> [3087510.839] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
> [3087510.839] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

you have xorg modules missing. evdev, glx and modesetting are reported
missing. Do you have x11 and OpenGL enabled in distro features ?

@ 2017-03-12  4:14       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-03-12  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2017-03-10 16:20, Khem Raj wrote:
> [...]
>> driver (/dev/input/event0)
>> [3087510.837] (**) FT5406 memory based driver: Applying InputClass "evdev
>> touchscreen catchall"
>> [3087510.837] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
>> [3087510.838] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module evdev
>> [3087510.838] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
>> [3087510.838] (II) Unloading evdev
>> [3087510.838] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
>> [3087510.838] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
>> [3087510.839] (II) config/udev: Adding input device FT5406 memory based
>> driver (/dev/input/mouse0)
>> [3087510.839] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
>> [3087510.839] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
>>

> you have xorg modules missing. evdev, glx and modesetting are reported
> missing. Do you have x11 and OpenGL enabled in distro features ?

Also, it would help if you started with something simpler - from your original
email it's not even obvious how you built this LXDE image (what layers/versions,
what machine/target settings, etc).  Try building a "stock" image such as core-image-sato,
then we can help you move forward.