* [genericx86-jethro] core-image-sato HDDIMG 'install' - no hard drive selected - /etc/fstab no such file or directory
@ 2016-07-12 10:45 Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-12 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello everyone!

I am trying to install genericx86 core-image-sato (jethro) HDDIMG to an
atom-pc.
For this 2GB USB stick is used.
When choosing 'install' option from boot menu I get the message:

"Searching for hard drives...
No hard drive selected. Installation aborted."

Installatiion stops and i get the console.
When I try to run fsck, it says: can't read '/etc/fstab': No such file or
directory

fdisk -l  shows only the partitions of USB stick.

After I choose 'boot' option to boot into live image, SDD drive is under
/dev/sdb and USB installation stick under /dev/sda,

What recipe/package is my installation missing? The SSD hard drive is not
recognized for some reason. With previous yocto releases this package list
DID work fine.
So there is something missing in the background.
Do you have any idea what this might be?

Below is my package list from local.conf.

thank you and kind regards
Simon :-)

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks ssh-server-openssh"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " make \
     initscripts \
     grub \
     initramfs-boot \
     syslinux \
     initramfs-live-install \
     initramfs-live-install-efi \
     initramfs-live-boot \
     xinit \
     xwininfo \
     openssh-sftp \
     openssh-sftp-server \
     qtbase-plugins \
     qtconnectivity \
     qtdeclarative \
     qtdeclarative-plugins \
     qtdeclarative-tools \
     qtdeclarative-qmlplugins \
     qtenginio \
     qtlocation \
     qtmultimedia \
     qtmultimedia-plugins \
     qtmultimedia-qmlplugins \
     qtsystems \
"

Viele Grüsse
Simon Bolek :-)

mit freundlichem Gruss / kind regards / pozdrawiam
Simon P. Bolek
Dipl. Inf. Simon P. Bolek
SAP Integration Architect
Business Mobile and IVI Solutions
mailto: simon.bolek@arcom-ivi.de
http://www.arcom-ivi.de/
XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/SimonP_Bolek

* Re: [genericx86-jethro] core-image-sato HDDIMG 'install' - no hard drive selected - /etc/fstab no such file or directory
@ 2016-07-12 23:36 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-12 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 3:45 AM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am trying to install genericx86 core-image-sato (jethro) HDDIMG to an
> atom-pc.
> For this 2GB USB stick is used.
> When choosing 'install' option from boot menu I get the message:
>
> "Searching for hard drives...
> No hard drive selected. Installation aborted."
>
> Installatiion stops and i get the console.
> When I try to run fsck, it says: can't read '/etc/fstab': No such file or
> directory
>
> fdisk -l  shows only the partitions of USB stick.
>
> After I choose 'boot' option to boot into live image, SDD drive is under
> /dev/sdb and USB installation stick under /dev/sda,
>
> What recipe/package is my installation missing? The SSD hard drive is not
> recognized for some reason. With previous yocto releases this package list
> DID work fine.
> So there is something missing in the background.
> Do you have any idea what this might be?

udev should have run and found your hdd. So it seems its not finding
it when running from initramfs. Can you try to add logs to initramfs
and see what udev is doing ?

@ 2016-07-13  6:28   ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-13  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thank you Raj,

Is there a standard way to activate these initramfs logs, or do I have to
implement it myself somewhere?

thank you and kind regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-13  6:36     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-13  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Simon Bolek
<simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Raj,
>
> Is there a standard way to activate these initramfs logs, or do I have to
> implement it myself somewhere?

you have to add printf etc. yourself into the init script in initramfs image

@ 2016-07-13  7:03       ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thank you,

I just guess, that it is the following function in init script to put the
echos to? Is it?

udev_daemon() {
    OPTIONS="/sbin/udev/udevd /sbin/udevd /lib/udev/udevd
/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd"

    for o in $OPTIONS; do
        if [ -x "$o" ]; then
            echo $o
            return 0
        fi
    done

    return 1
}

cheers

@ 2016-07-13 11:57         ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Raj,

So i tried to do manually, what init script does and udev definitely does
not recognize the SSD drive.
I ran
 /lib/udev/udevd --daemon --debug > udev.debug 2>&1 &
from the cli and there is no trace of recognizing the SSD. Only the
/dev/sda, which is the USB stick I am running the installation from.

I used 'meld' to compare the /initrd from current jethro image and previous
working fido image.
They are almost the same:
- in jethro /lib/modules... file structure is missing with:
modules.alias
modules.alias.bin
modules.builtin.bin
modules.dep
modules.dep.bin
modules.devname
modules.softdep
modules.symbols
modules.symbols.bin

- there are slight differences between
/etc/init.d/udev
/etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh
, but I cannot tell, if this is the reason.

Unfortunately I did not dig inside binary /lib/udev/udevd.

So do you have any other ideas, what might be the reason for not
recognizing the SSD? Maybe there are some additional recipes needed from
jethro on?

thanks & kind regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-13 14:56           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raj,
>
> So i tried to do manually, what init script does and udev definitely does
> not recognize the SSD drive.
> I ran
>  /lib/udev/udevd --daemon --debug > udev.debug 2>&1 &
> from the cli and there is no trace of recognizing the SSD. Only the
> /dev/sda, which is the USB stick I am running the installation from.
>
> I used 'meld' to compare the /initrd from current jethro image and previous
> working fido image.
> They are almost the same:
> - in jethro /lib/modules... file structure is missing with:
> modules.alias
> modules.alias.bin
> modules.builtin.bin
> modules.dep
> modules.dep.bin
> modules.devname
> modules.softdep
> modules.symbols
> modules.symbols.bin

this means depmod did not run during initramfs image creation

> - there are slight differences between
> /etc/init.d/udev
> /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh
> , but I cannot tell, if this is the reason.

what are the differences ?

@ 2016-07-14  6:32             ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-14  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 4:57 AM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Raj,
> >
> > So i tried to do manually, what init script does and udev definitely does
> > not recognize the SSD drive.
> > I ran
> >  /lib/udev/udevd --daemon --debug > udev.debug 2>&1 &
> > from the cli and there is no trace of recognizing the SSD. Only the
> > /dev/sda, which is the USB stick I am running the installation from.
> >
> > I used 'meld' to compare the /initrd from current jethro image and
> previous
> > working fido image.
> > They are almost the same:
> > - in jethro /lib/modules... file structure is missing with:
> > modules.alias
> > modules.alias.bin
> > modules.builtin.bin
> > modules.dep
> > modules.dep.bin
> > modules.devname
> > modules.softdep
> > modules.symbols
> > modules.symbols.bin
>
> this means depmod did not run during initramfs image creation

How can I make this happen during bitbake, so i have those files in the
HDDIMG?

> > - there are slight differences between
> > /etc/init.d/udev
> > /etc/udev/scripts/mount.sh
> > , but I cannot tell, if this is the reason.
>
> what are the differences ?

Sorry for this patch-like copy/paste, but this was the simplest way of
presenting the changes.
Do you see something important here, that might cause the SDD not beeing
recognized?

--- /home/simon/Development/Yocto-Project/initrd-ok/etc/init.d/udev
+++ /home/simon/Development/Yocto-Project/initrd-jethro/etc/init.d/udev
@@ -14,20 +14,27 @@
 [ -d /sys/class ] || exit 1
 [ -r /proc/mounts ] || exit 1
 [ -x /lib/udev/udevd ] || exit 1
+SYSCONF_CACHED="/etc/udev/cache.data"
+SYSCONF_TMP="/dev/shm/udev.cache"
+DEVCACHE_REGEN="/dev/shm/udev-regen" # create to request cache regen
+
+# A list of files which are used as a criteria to judge whether the udev
cache could be reused.
+CMP_FILE_LIST="/proc/version /proc/cmdline /proc/devices"
+[ -f /proc/atags ] && CMP_FILE_LIST="$CMP_FILE_LIST /proc/atags"
+
+# List of files whose metadata (size/mtime/name) will be included in cached
+# system state.
+META_FILE_LIST="lib/udev/rules.d/* etc/udev/rules.d/*"
+
+# Command to compute system configuration.
+sysconf_cmd () {
+    cat -- $CMP_FILE_LIST
+    stat -c '%s %Y %n' -- $META_FILE_LIST | awk -F/ '{print $1 " " $NF;}'
+}
+
 [ -f /etc/default/udev-cache ] && . /etc/default/udev-cache
 [ -f /etc/udev/udev.conf ] && . /etc/udev/udev.conf
 [ -f /etc/default/rcS ] && . /etc/default/rcS
-
-readfiles () {
-   READDATA=""
-   for filename in $@; do
-       if [ -r $filename ]; then
-           while read line; do
-               READDATA="$READDATA$line"
-           done < $filename
-       fi
-   done
-}

 kill_udevd () {
     pid=`pidof -x udevd`
@@ -57,38 +64,35 @@
     # the automount rule for udev needs /tmp directory available, as /tmp
is a symlink
     # to /var/tmp which in turn is a symlink to /var/volatile/tmp, we need
to make sure
     # /var/volatile/tmp directory to be available.
-    mkdir -p /var/volatile/tmp
+    mkdir -m 1777 -p /var/volatile/tmp

     # Cache handling.
-    # A list of files which are used as a criteria to judge whether the
udev cache could be reused.
-    CMP_FILE_LIST="/proc/version /proc/cmdline /proc/devices /proc/atags"
     if [ "$DEVCACHE" != "" ]; then
             if [ -e $DEVCACHE ]; then
-            readfiles $CMP_FILE_LIST
-            NEWDATA="$READDATA"
-            readfiles /etc/udev/cache.data
-            OLDDATA="$READDATA"
-            if [ "$OLDDATA" = "$NEWDATA" ]; then
-                            (cd /; tar xf $DEVCACHE > /dev/null 2>&1)
+            sysconf_cmd > "$SYSCONF_TMP"
+            if cmp $SYSCONF_CACHED $SYSCONF_TMP >/dev/null; then
+                            tar xmf $DEVCACHE -C / -m
                             not_first_boot=1
                             [ "$VERBOSE" != "no" ] && echo "udev: using
cache file $DEVCACHE"
-                            [ -e /dev/shm/udev.cache ] && rm -f
/dev/shm/udev.cache
+                            [ -e $SYSCONF_TMP ] && rm -f "$SYSCONF_TMP"
+                            [ -e "$DEVCACHE_REGEN" ] && rm -f
"$DEVCACHE_REGEN"
                     else
                 # Output detailed reason why the cached /dev is not used
-                if [ "$VERBOSE" != "no" ]; then
-                    echo "udev: udev cache not used"
-                    echo "udev: we use $CMP_FILE_LIST as criteria to judge
whether the cache /dev could be resued"
-                    echo "udev: olddata: $OLDDATA"
-                    echo "udev: newdata: $NEWDATA"
-                fi
-                echo "$NEWDATA" > /dev/shm/udev.cache
+                cat <<EOF
+udev: Not using udev cache because of changes detected in the following
files:
+udev:     $CMP_FILE_LIST
+udev:     $META_FILE_LIST
+udev: The udev cache will be regenerated. To identify the detected changes,
+udev: compare the cached sysconf at   $SYSCONF_CACHED
+udev: against the current sysconf at  $SYSCONF_TMP
+EOF
+                touch "$DEVCACHE_REGEN"
                     fi
         else
             if [ "$ROOTFS_READ_ONLY" != "yes" ]; then
                 # If rootfs is not read-only, it's possible that a new
udev cache would be generated;
                 # otherwise, we do not bother to read files.
-                readfiles $CMP_FILE_LIST
-                echo "$READDATA" > /dev/shm/udev.cache
+                touch "$DEVCACHE_REGEN"
             fi
             fi
     fi
@@ -97,7 +101,7 @@
     kill_udevd > "/dev/null" 2>&1

     # trigger the sorted events
-    echo -e '\000\000\000\000' > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
+    [ -e /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug ] && echo -e '\000'
>/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
     /lib/udev/udevd -d

     udevadm control --env=STARTUP=1

@ 2016-07-14 23:16               ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-14 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Raj,

About depmod again.
Should it be run from meta/classes/kernel.bbclass  ?
pkg_postinst_kernel-base () {
    if [ ! -e "$D/lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}" ]; then
        mkdir -p $D/lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}
    fi
    if [ -n "$D" ]; then
        depmodwrapper -a -b $D ${KERNEL_VERSION}
    else
        depmod -a ${KERNEL_VERSION}
    fi
}

Where is this function beeing called?
I did not find it anywhere.
thanks and kind regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-14 23:30                 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raj,
>
> About depmod again.
> Should it be run from meta/classes/kernel.bbclass  ?
> pkg_postinst_kernel-base () {
>     if [ ! -e "$D/lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}" ]; then
>         mkdir -p $D/lib/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}
>     fi
>     if [ -n "$D" ]; then
>         depmodwrapper -a -b $D ${KERNEL_VERSION}
>     else
>         depmod -a ${KERNEL_VERSION}
>     fi
> }
>
> Where is this function beeing called?

It should be called during rootfs and image creation time. as well as
when you update the package using online package manager.

@ 2016-07-15  8:59                   ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-15  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thanks, but neither:
pkg_postinst_kernel-base ()
nor:
pkg_postinst_kernel-image ()
from /meta/classes/kernel.bbclass gets called when running:
- bitbake core-image-sato or
- bitbake linux-yocto

I put some commands in there, which are definitely wrong (like foobar) and
bitbake run successfully.
Whereas, in other funtions it caused problems.
Any ideas how can fix this?

thanks and best regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-15 22:17                     ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-15 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Raj,

Maybe you could help me with this.
I found out that during rootfs (meta/lib/oe/rootfs.py), depmodwrapper
script is beeing called.
I noticed, that it does generate /lib/modules/<kernel>.. directory
structure under:
poky/build/tmp/work/genericx86-poky-linux/core-image-sato
However, at the end of the bitbake process, there is no /lib/modules
direcotry in
core-image-minimal-initramfs-genericx86-20160715210400.rootfs.cpio.gz

Where are the steps, where this .cpio.gz file is beeing generated. There
must be a place where all the files, that are inside, are beeing put
together.

HELP!
kind regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-16  0:02                       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-16  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raj,
>
> Maybe you could help me with this.
> I found out that during rootfs (meta/lib/oe/rootfs.py), depmodwrapper script
> is beeing called.
> I noticed, that it does generate /lib/modules/<kernel>.. directory structure
> under:
> poky/build/tmp/work/genericx86-poky-linux/core-image-sato
> However, at the end of the bitbake process, there is no /lib/modules
> direcotry in
> core-image-minimal-initramfs-genericx86-20160715210400.rootfs.cpio.gz
>
> Where are the steps, where this .cpio.gz file is beeing generated. There
> must be a place where all the files, that are inside, are beeing put
> together.

initramfs image is a separate image. What you are seeing is the final image.
you might have to add the kernel module to you machine conf

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS = " kernel-modules"

@ 2016-07-21  9:15                         ` Simon Bolek
From: Simon Bolek @ 2016-07-21  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Hi Raj,
Thank you.
I have already tried this.

I managed to start the USB installation by addding
kernel-modules
to core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb

However after the installation, system will not boot up due to kernel
panic:
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown block (0,0) Please append a
correct "root=" boot option;

It seems, the SDD hard drive is found on installation time, but not on boot
time.
How is that possible? It did work with FIDO, but is not working with JETHRO.
Any hint what I have to look for now? Is it the drivers missing? Or maybe
some scripts not running at boot?
What will run at boot prior to mounting what is stated in root= in grub.cfg?

kind regards
Simon :-)

@ 2016-07-21 13:27                           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Bolek; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Raj,
> Thank you.
> I have already tried this.
>
> I managed to start the USB installation by addding
> kernel-modules
> to core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb
>
> However after the installation, system will not boot up due to kernel panic:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown block (0,0) Please append a
> correct "root=" boot option;

can you add

SYSLINUX_ROOT = "root=/dev/hda2"

to local.conf and rebuild ?