* How to strip down my Yocto Linux?
       [not found] <568398942.4073936.1501667235929.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-08-02  9:47 ` Bacheh Karaji
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bacheh Karaji @ 2017-08-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Discussion List

I would like to strip down my Yocto Linux before put in it to flash. Unneeded software, man pages, POCO sample codes and other documentation just waste resource, especially on the i.MX28 EVK with only 128MB flash.

My local.conf file looks following:

$ gedit conf/local.conf &
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " poco nginx canutils vsftpd curl fcgi spawn-fcgi net-snmp util-linux ubiattach-klibc ubimkvol-klibc ubiformat-klibc minicom net-tools zeroconf avahi-autoipd mtd-utils u-boot-fw-utils ethtool"
I bitbake the image "core-image-base".

I was wondering, is there a way that I can delete all of the Unneeded files?

Can somebody help me howto strip down my Yocto Linux?

* Re: How to strip down my Yocto Linux?
@ 2017-08-02  9:57   ` Markus Volk
From: Markus Volk @ 2017-08-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I guess that depends on what your needs are. Personally i would start to build core-image-minimal and just add the packages i need

regards
Markus

--
Markus Volk <f_l_k@t-online.de>

* Re: How to strip down my Yocto Linux?
@ 2017-08-02 10:02     ` Ayoub Zaki
From: Ayoub Zaki @ 2017-08-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

A quick win also to remove DISTRO features in local.conf that your
application(s) does not need  :

DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "bluetooth"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "3g"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "opengl"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "wayland"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "x11"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "nfc"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "nfs"
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "ext2"

etc...

--

Ayoub Zaki

ayoub.zaki@embexus.com
Mobile: +49(0)176-62901545
Skype: ayoub.zaki_2
https://embexus.com

@ 2017-08-02 10:06   ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2017-08-02 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bacheh Karaji, Yocto Discussion List

Hi!

At the moment it like this:

On 02.08.2017 11:47, Bacheh Karaji wrote:
 > I bitbake the image "core-image-base"/.

You start out with a already big image setup.

> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " poco nginx canutils vsftpd curl fcgi spawn-fcgi
> net-snmp util-linux ubiattach-klibc ubimkvol-klibc ubiformat-klibc
> minicom net-tools zeroconf avahi-autoipd mtd-utils u-boot-fw-utils ethtool"

And then you add even more stuff.

After that, you want to remove lots of it again.

While that maybe technically works, its pretty pointless. You first
waste a lot of compilation time in generating stuff, which you then need
additional time to remove again.

The correct approach is to create an image recipe that exactly fits your
needs. Usually one would start out with core-image-minimal.bb, copy that
to your-cool-image.bb, and then add the additionally wanted packages in
there.

Greetz
--
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
———————————————
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363

@ 2017-08-02 10:34   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-08-02 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bacheh Karaji; +Cc: Yocto Discussion List

First, the core images are examples; copy and paste the closest to what you
want and then modify the recipe.

If you want a really small image then start from core-image-minimal, but be
aware that is missing a lot of stuff you may actually want.

How to remove things depends on how they got installed in the first place.
Unless you have doc-pkgs in IMAGE_FEATURES then you shouldn't have any man
pages or documentation.  If the poco recipe installs sample code you don't
want then fix the recipe to put those in another package. etc etc.

Ross

@ 2017-08-02 21:21     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-08-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bacheh Karaji, Burton, Ross; +Cc: Yocto Discussion List