* Shared lib symlinks in target image
@ 2021-10-03  1:55 Lijun Chen
From: Lijun Chen @ 2021-10-03  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

When I build a yocto image, I added some packages into IMAGE_INSTALL, such as boost, thrift, etc. I notice in the target OS image, the shared libs don't the symlinks. But in the SDK image, the symlinks are there. For example,

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       22 Oct  2 16:41 libboost_filesystem-mt.so -> libboost_filesystem.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       29 Oct  2 16:41 libboost_filesystem.so -> libboost_filesystem.so.1.75.0

Is there a way to add the symlinks to the target image as well?

With the symlinks, I assume we can run an old application even the dependent lib is a newer version?

Thanks,

Lijun

* Re: [yocto] Shared lib symlinks in target image
@ 2021-10-03  3:23 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-10-03  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lijun Chen; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Lijun Chen <lijchen@blackberry.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> When I build a yocto image, I added some packages into IMAGE_INSTALL, such as boost, thrift, etc. I notice in the target OS image, the shared libs don't the symlinks. But in the SDK image, the symlinks are there. For example,
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       22 Oct  2 16:41 libboost_filesystem-mt.so -> libboost_filesystem.so
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       29 Oct  2 16:41 libboost_filesystem.so -> libboost_filesystem.so.1.75.0
>
> Is there a way to add the symlinks to the target image as well?
>

> With the symlinks, I assume we can run an old application even the dependent lib is a newer version?

unversioned symlinks should not be used they are there to be used for
linking during build time. Unless you need to do builds on targets you
really do not need them
so explain you usecase. Are you trying to build stuff on device ?

@ 2021-10-04 13:12   ` Lijun Chen
From: Lijun Chen @ 2021-10-04 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

I have an app built in a different environment that has lower versioned libs, such as boost. I was wondering if on the target there are symlinks to those libs, whether the app can be run on a target that has newer libs without resbuild against a matched env. Seems that is not viable.

@ 2021-10-04 13:42     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-10-04 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lijun Chen; +Cc: yocto