* RFC: Upgrading rt-tests requires numactl
@ 2020-09-23 17:22 Randy Witt
From: Randy Witt @ 2020-09-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer; +Cc: alex.kanavin

While looking into upgrading rt-tests to the latest version, on IRC, John
Kacur(the maintainer of rt-tests), recommended "that they use
unstable/devel/latest as the maintained stable branch".

I updated the recipes in
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rewitt/rt-tests-upgrade&id=551b25918d06c903fff22d76d5683b548c4f2e6f.
However, I know this won't work as is, due to the issues below.

The latest version of rt-tests requires the numa libraries for compilation via
this patch https://marc.info/?l=linux-rt-users&m=158335896221530&w=2. rt-tests
exists in oe-core, but numactl which provides libnuma/numa.h exists in
meta-openembedded.

Another issue is that ARM is removed from COMPATIBLE_HOST in
http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-support/numactl/numactl_git.bb?h=master#n27.
This may be for legacy reasons, but libnuma can be installed on most
distributions running on an ARM host. Regardless, it would need to be changed to
allow for rt-tests on ARM.

I'm therefore trying to determine how to proceed to upgrade rt-tests. These are
the options I thought of, which are most likely not exhaustive.

1. Bring numactl into oe-core
2. move rt-tests out of oe-core
3. TMy to patch out the numa requirement and carry it forever(doesn't appear to
be a small task)