* vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-24 18:58 Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2015-11-24 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's currently not possible to build a vmdk image when TCLIBC = "musl"
due to the following dependencies:

  do_bootdirectdisk -> syslinux -> mtools -> glibc-gconv-ibm850

Creating an mtools .bbappend containing:

  RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
  RRECOMMENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""

seems to be a workaround.

Does anyone see a better solution?

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-24 20:05 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-11-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre McCurdy; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's currently not possible to build a vmdk image when TCLIBC = "musl"
> due to the following dependencies:
>
> do_bootdirectdisk -> syslinux -> mtools -> glibc-gconv-ibm850
>
> Creating an mtools .bbappend containing:
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
> RRECOMMENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
>
> seems to be a workaround.
>
> Does anyone see a better solution?

That should be fine for musl.

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-25 21:40   ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2015-11-25 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Khem,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's currently not possible to build a vmdk image when TCLIBC = "musl"
>> due to the following dependencies:
>>
>> do_bootdirectdisk -> syslinux -> mtools -> glibc-gconv-ibm850
>>
>> Creating an mtools .bbappend containing:
>>
>> RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
>> RRECOMMENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
>>
>> seems to be a workaround.
>>
>> Does anyone see a better solution?
>
> That should be fine for musl.

So would it be correct to add exactly those lines to the oe-core mtools recipe?

@ 2015-11-25 21:56     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-11-25 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre McCurdy; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 25 November 2015 at 21:40, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:

> So would it be correct to add exactly those lines to the oe-core mtools
> recipe?

Yes.  Pretty much every dependency on glibc-gconv* should be guarded with a
libc override of some sort.  There's an open bug to give locale packages
virtual names so this isn't a problem anymore, I should do something about
it!

Ross

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-25 22:31       ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2015-11-25 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:

> On 25 November 2015 at 21:40, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So would it be correct to add exactly those lines to the oe-core mtools
>> recipe?
>
> Yes.  Pretty much every dependency on glibc-gconv* should be guarded with a
> libc override of some sort.  There's an open bug to give locale packages
> virtual names so this isn't a problem anymore, I should do something about
> it!

OK, just to be absolutely sure I understand, mtools RDEPENDS is currently:

  RDEPENDS_${PN} = "glibc-gconv-ibm850"

Potential solution 1:

  RDEPENDS_${PN} = "glibc-gconv-ibm850"
  RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""

Potential solution 2:

  RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-glibc = "glibc-gconv-ibm850"

Which one is correct?

Solution 2 is more invasive, since the _libc-glibc over-ride would
mean RDEPENDS gets ignored completely for mtools-native, right?

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-25 22:39         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-11-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre McCurdy; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 25 November 2015 at 22:31, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Potential solution 1:
>
>   RDEPENDS_${PN} = "glibc-gconv-ibm850"
>   RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-musl = ""
>
> Potential solution 2:
>
>   RDEPENDS_${PN}_libc-glibc = "glibc-gconv-ibm850"
>
> Which one is correct?

Or RDEPENDS_${PN}_append_libc-glibc = " glibc-gconv-ibm850".

(which is what libxml2 and guile do)

Ross

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-26  0:05       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-11-26  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 1:56 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>

> On 25 November 2015 at 21:40, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com <mailto:armccurdy@gmail.com>> wrote:
> So would it be correct to add exactly those lines to the oe-core mtools recipe?
>
> Yes.  Pretty much every dependency on glibc-gconv* should be guarded with a libc override of some sort.  There's an open bug to give locale packages virtual names so this isn't a problem anymore, I should do something about it!

I have already posted this as a patch along with my musl patchset for OE-Core ( which I need to send v2 addressing Phil’s feedback on the series )
here is particular patch
https://github.com/kraj/openembedded-core/commit/11c054232722c6a96fd54f40f664da4a754fd342 <https://github.com/kraj/openembedded-core/commit/11c054232722c6a96fd54f40f664da4a754fd342>
> Ross

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: vmdk images with musl libc
@ 2015-11-26  1:31         ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2015-11-26  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 1:56 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 November 2015 at 21:40, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So would it be correct to add exactly those lines to the oe-core mtools
>> recipe?
>
> Yes.  Pretty much every dependency on glibc-gconv* should be guarded with a
> libc override of some sort.  There's an open bug to give locale packages
> virtual names so this isn't a problem anymore, I should do something about
> it!
>
> I have already posted this as a patch along with my musl patchset for
> OE-Core ( which I need to send v2 addressing Phil’s feedback on the series )
> here is particular patch
> https://github.com/kraj/openembedded-core/commit/11c054232722c6a96fd54f40f664da4a754fd342

Yes, sorry I missed that!

It looks like you only updated one of the mtools recipes though. Could
you update both in v2?

@ 2015-12-01  7:55           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-12-01  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre McCurdy; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer