* meta-python Dunfell branch maintenance
@ 2020-06-29 14:59 akuster
From: akuster @ 2020-06-29 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List

Hello all,

I have notice many meta-python3 recipes are having their .inc files
being consolidated. I am considering backporting those consolidations
that are bug fix only so that maintenance moving forward is easier.

Any concerns from the community on taking that route where  appropriate?

regards,
Armin

* Re: [oe] meta-python Dunfell branch maintenance
@ 2020-06-29 15:19 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2020-06-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster; +Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 07:59:13AM -0700, akuster wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have notice many meta-python3 recipes are having their .inc files
> being consolidated. I am considering backporting those consolidations
> that are bug fix only

Those consolidations can never be "bug fix only" - part of a recipe in
an .inc file is not a bug.

> so that maintenance moving forward is easier.
>
> Any concerns from the community on taking that route where  appropriate?

I wouldn't see it appropriate for a stable branch in most cases.

If you are backporting other changes for a recipe that were done in
master on top of such a change this approach sounds like an option, but
in the normal case that the recipe is never touched for other reasons in
a stable branch I do not see the benefits of making such unnecessary changes.

> regards,
> Armin

cu
Adrian

* Re: [oe] meta-python Dunfell branch maintenance
@ 2020-06-30 15:07   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-06-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: akuster, OpenEmbedded Devel List

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 8:20 AM Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 07:59:13AM -0700, akuster wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have notice many meta-python3 recipes are having their .inc files
> > being consolidated. I am considering backporting those consolidations
> > that are bug fix only
>
> Those consolidations can never be "bug fix only" - part of a recipe in
> an .inc file is not a bug.
>
> > so that maintenance moving forward is easier.
> >
> > Any concerns from the community on taking that route where  appropriate?
>
> I wouldn't see it appropriate for a stable branch in most cases.
>
> If you are backporting other changes for a recipe that were done in
> master on top of such a change this approach sounds like an option, but
> in the normal case that the recipe is never touched for other reasons in
> a stable branch I do not see the benefits of making such unnecessary changes.

I reckon that this would make it easy to maintain then in the future,
so the question is do
we do this now or do we wait until a bug fix is required on dunfell,
at that time the
the effort would be to do both. If its moving code around without
other changes then it's a trivial fix
I would leave it up to maintainer's discretion if it makes their work
easier, it's perhaps fine to
cherry-pick the easy ones.