* CUPS ppd drivers
@ 2015-05-18 14:39 Steven Descheemaeker
From: Steven Descheemaeker @ 2015-05-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello,

I'm trying to add printer support to my embedded board. I'm able to
build cups but there aren't any driver packages.

Are there any recent packages for printer drivers? I already tried to
build gutenprint/foomatic myself but I'm relatively new to yocto so I'm
not that good in writing recipes my own.

Anyone can help me out with this ?
--
Steven Descheemaeker
Software developer

* Re: CUPS ppd drivers
@ 2015-05-19  0:42 ` Marc Reilly
From: Marc Reilly @ 2015-05-19  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Descheemaeker; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hi Steven,

I got printing going a couple of years ago for HP printers, (the only type we
needed to support). I haven't been keeping track since, so I'm not sure what
the current state of recipes in yocto is.

We only need to be able to print pdfs. It's not fast, but it works.

On Monday, May 18, 2015 04:39:41 PM Steven Descheemaeker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to add printer support to my embedded board. I'm able to
> build cups but there aren't any driver packages.
>
> Are there any recent packages for printer drivers? I already tried to
> build gutenprint/foomatic myself but I'm relatively new to yocto so I'm
> not that good in writing recipes my own.
>
> Anyone can help me out with this ?

What type of printer are you using?

For HP printers, use the hplip drivers. There is a detect/add printer script
which is handy for adding USB printers.
For other brands, I'm not sure. I think there were some recipes for canon and
epson printers.

Below is a list of the packages in the image related to printing, the python
packages are for the hplip add scripts, and the perl is (i think) for the
foomatic filters.

Cheers,
Marc

IMAGE_PRINTING_INSTALL = " \
	ghostscript \
	ghostscript-cups \
	cups \
	cups-doc \
	cups-lib \
	cups-libimage \
	foomatic-filters \
	poppler \
	poppler-data \
	hplip \
	hplip-ppd \
	hplip-cups \
	hplip-backend \
	hplip-filter \
	python-syslog \
	python-pprint \
	python-compression \
	python-shell \
	python-xml \
	python-unixadmin \
	python-html \
	python-resource \
	python-terminal \
	python-lang \
	python-stringold \
	python-netclient \
	python-fcntl \
	"

PRINTPERL = " \
	perl-module-strict \
	perl-module-posix \
	perl-module-fcntl  \
	perl-module-exporter-heavy \
	perl-module-cwd \
	perl-module-sigtrap \
	perl-module-io-handle \
	perl-module-data-dumper \
	perl-module-bytes \
	"

* Re: CUPS ppd drivers
@ 2015-05-19  6:02   ` Steven Descheemaeker
From: Steven Descheemaeker @ 2015-05-19  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Reilly; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Marc Reilly schreef op di 19-05-2015 om 10:42 [+1000]:
> Hi Steven,
>

> I got printing going a couple of years ago for HP printers, (the only type we
> needed to support). I haven't been keeping track since, so I'm not sure what
> the current state of recipes in yocto is.
>
> We only need to be able to print pdfs. It's not fast, but it works.
>
> On Monday, May 18, 2015 04:39:41 PM Steven Descheemaeker wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to add printer support to my embedded board. I'm able to
> > build cups but there aren't any driver packages.
> >
> > Are there any recent packages for printer drivers? I already tried to
> > build gutenprint/foomatic myself but I'm relatively new to yocto so I'm
> > not that good in writing recipes my own.
> >
> > Anyone can help me out with this ?
>

> What type of printer are you using?
>
> For HP printers, use the hplip drivers. There is a detect/add printer script
> which is handy for adding USB printers.
> For other brands, I'm not sure. I think there were some recipes for canon and
> epson printers.
>
> Below is a list of the packages in the image related to printing, the python
> packages are for the hplip add scripts, and the perl is (i think) for the
> foomatic filters.
>
> Cheers,
> Marc
>

> IMAGE_PRINTING_INSTALL = " \
> 	ghostscript \
> 	ghostscript-cups \
> 	cups \
> 	cups-doc \
> 	cups-lib \
> 	cups-libimage \
> 	foomatic-filters \
> 	poppler \
> 	poppler-data \
> 	hplip \
> 	hplip-ppd \
> 	hplip-cups \
> 	hplip-backend \
> 	hplip-filter \
> 	python-syslog \
> 	python-pprint \
> 	python-compression \
> 	python-shell \
> 	python-xml \
> 	python-unixadmin \
> 	python-html \
> 	python-resource \
> 	python-terminal \
> 	python-lang \
> 	python-stringold \
> 	python-netclient \
> 	python-fcntl \
> 	"
>
> PRINTPERL = " \
> 	perl-module-strict \
> 	perl-module-posix \
> 	perl-module-fcntl  \
> 	perl-module-exporter-heavy \
> 	perl-module-cwd \
> 	perl-module-sigtrap \
> 	perl-module-io-handle \
> 	perl-module-data-dumper \
> 	perl-module-bytes \
> 	"

Hello Marc,

For HP I already found hplip indeed, but I need more than only HP as
printer brand. I'm searching for recipes like gutenprint/foomatic with a
large amount of printer drivers for different brands.

kind regards

--
Steven Descheemaeker
Software developer

* Re: CUPS ppd drivers
@ 2015-05-19  6:08     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-05-19  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembeded-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Steven Descheemaeker
<stevend@limotec.be> wrote:

> [...]
>>       python-terminal \
>>       python-lang \
>>       python-stringold \
>>       python-netclient \
>>       python-fcntl \
>>       "
>>
>> PRINTPERL = " \
>>       perl-module-strict \
>>       perl-module-posix \
>>       perl-module-fcntl  \
>>       perl-module-exporter-heavy \
>>       perl-module-cwd \
>>       perl-module-sigtrap \
>>       perl-module-io-handle \
>>       perl-module-data-dumper \
>>       perl-module-bytes \
>>       "
>>

> Hello Marc,
>
> For HP I already found hplip indeed, but I need more than only HP as
> printer brand. I'm searching for recipes like gutenprint/foomatic with a
> large amount of printer drivers for different brands.

does this help

http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-extended/foomatic/foomatic-filters_4.0.17.bb

* Re: CUPS ppd drivers
@ 2015-05-19  7:25       ` Steven Descheemaeker
From: Steven Descheemaeker @ 2015-05-19  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Khem Raj schreef op ma 18-05-2015 om 23:08 [-0700]:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Steven Descheemaeker
> <stevend@limotec.be> wrote:
> >
> > Marc Reilly schreef op di 19-05-2015 om 10:42 [+1000]:
> >> Hi Steven,
> >>

> >> I got printing going a couple of years ago for HP printers, (the only type we
> >> needed to support). I haven't been keeping track since, so I'm not sure what
> >> the current state of recipes in yocto is.
> >>
> >> We only need to be able to print pdfs. It's not fast, but it works.

> >> What type of printer are you using?
> >>
> >> For HP printers, use the hplip drivers. There is a detect/add printer script
> >> which is handy for adding USB printers.
> >> For other brands, I'm not sure. I think there were some recipes for canon and
> >> epson printers.
> >>
> >> Below is a list of the packages in the image related to printing, the python
> >> packages are for the hplip add scripts, and the perl is (i think) for the
> >> foomatic filters.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Marc
> >>

> >> IMAGE_PRINTING_INSTALL = " \
> >>       ghostscript \
> >>       ghostscript-cups \
> >>       cups \
> >>       cups-doc \
> >>       cups-lib \
> >>       cups-libimage \
> >>       foomatic-filters \
> >>       poppler \
> >>       poppler-data \
> >>       hplip \
> >>       hplip-ppd \
> >>       hplip-cups \
> >>       hplip-backend \
> >>       hplip-filter \
> >>       python-syslog \
> >>       python-pprint \
> >>       python-compression \
> >>       python-shell \
> >>       python-xml \
> >>       python-unixadmin \
> >>       python-html \
> >>       python-resource \
> >>       python-terminal \
> >>       python-lang \
> >>       python-stringold \
> >>       python-netclient \
> >>       python-fcntl \
> >>       "
> >>
> >> PRINTPERL = " \
> >>       perl-module-strict \
> >>       perl-module-posix \
> >>       perl-module-fcntl  \
> >>       perl-module-exporter-heavy \
> >>       perl-module-cwd \
> >>       perl-module-sigtrap \
> >>       perl-module-io-handle \
> >>       perl-module-data-dumper \
> >>       perl-module-bytes \
> >>       "
> >>

> > Hello Marc,
> >
> > For HP I already found hplip indeed, but I need more than only HP as
> > printer brand. I'm searching for recipes like gutenprint/foomatic with a
> > large amount of printer drivers for different brands.
> >

> does this help
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-extended/foomatic/foomatic-filters_4.0.17.bb

That are only filters, I think I need the foomatic-db and
foomatic-db-engine to use these? When I install this package in my
image, and try to print an image I get this : lpr Unsupported
document-format "image/jpeg". I know this has something to do with
filters. When I install cups-filters then I can print images but I can't
install foomatic-filters since it conflicts with cups-filters. So I was
wondering how I could add more drivers for these filters, or am I
totally wrong in this?

kind regards

--
Steven Descheemaeker