* Recipe versions and layer confusion
@ 2017-10-05 14:49 Mike Looijmans
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2017-10-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I'm confused.

Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:

recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb

This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"

recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb

Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
2017.3 version.

bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
..
meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
..

so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products
Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
E-mail: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

Visit us at the Space Tech Expo Europe (Stand E-71)

* Re: Recipe versions and layer confusion
@ 2017-10-05 14:59 ` Mark Hatle
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Hatle @ 2017-10-05 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans, openembedded-core

On 10/5/17 9:49 AM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I'm confused.
>
> Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>
> This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>

> Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
> 2017.3 version.

Typically the version is selected by whichever PV is 'higher'.  However there
are many ways to change this behavior.

The primary way is for a configuration file (often the machine configuration) to
defined a preferred version.  I.e.

  PREFERRED_VERSION_arm-trusted-firmware = "2017.1"

Most likely there is a line like that someone in meta-xilinx.

Additional ways would be to have a recipe define itself as never the default
version.

> bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
> ..
> meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
> meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
> ..

The layer priority does not directly affect recipe selection.  It may if you
have two layers of the -same- version.

--Mark

@ 2017-10-05 15:11   ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2017-10-05 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, openembedded-core

On 05-10-17 16:59, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 10/5/17 9:49 AM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>>
>> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>>
>> This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>>
>> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>>

>> Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
>> 2017.3 version.
>
> Typically the version is selected by whichever PV is 'higher'.  However there
> are many ways to change this behavior.
>
> The primary way is for a configuration file (often the machine configuration) to
> defined a preferred version.  I.e.
>
>    PREFERRED_VERSION_arm-trusted-firmware = "2017.1"
>
> Most likely there is a line like that someone in meta-xilinx.

Nope, no such line.

@ 2017-10-05 15:19 ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2017-10-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:49:28 +0200
Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans@topic.nl> wrote:

> I'm confused.
>
> Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>
> This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>

> Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
> 2017.3 version.
>
> bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
> ..
> meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
> meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
> ..
>
> so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?

"For example, a layer that has a recipe with a higher PV value but for which the BBFILE_PRIORITY is set to have a lower precedence still has a lower precedence."

taken from

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.3.2/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-BBFILE_PRIORITY

> Kind regards,
>
> Mike Looijmans
> System Expert
>
> TOPIC Products
> Materiaalweg 4, NL-5681 RJ Best
> Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
> Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
> E-mail: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
> Website: www.topicproducts.com

> Visit us at the Space Tech Expo Europe (Stand E-71)

Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com>

* Re: Recipe versions and layer confusion
@ 2017-10-05 21:18 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2017-10-05 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: openembedded-core

Hi Mike,

On Friday, 6 October 2017 3:49:28 AM NZDT Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I'm confused.
>
> Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>
> This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>

> Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
> 2017.3 version.
>
> bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
> ..
> meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
> meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
> ..
>
> so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?

At face value I would have to agree - it doesn't sound like it's working the
way it should.

What does bitbake-layers show-recipes  arm-trusted-firmware show ?

Another diagnostic would be to do bitbake -DDD arm-trusted-firmware and see if
it gives any explanation as to why it's picking the older version (you'll have
to wade through all of the other irrelevant debug info though).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Recipe versions and layer confusion
@ 2017-10-05 21:44   ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2017-10-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Sandoval; +Cc: Mike Looijmans, openembedded-core

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 10:19:18 -0500
Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:49:28 +0200
> Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans@topic.nl> wrote:
>
> > I'm confused.
> >
> > Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
> >
> > recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
> >
> > This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
> >
> > recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
> >

> > Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
> > 2017.3 version.
> >
> > bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
> > ..
> > meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
> > meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
> > ..
> >
> > so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?
>
> "For example, a layer that has a recipe with a higher PV value but for which the BBFILE_PRIORITY is set to have a lower precedence still has a lower precedence."

My bad. topic has higher priority than xilinx, so there is something wrong as you mentioned.

Leo

@ 2017-10-05 22:10     ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2017-10-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Leonardo Sandoval
<leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 10:19:18 -0500
> Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:49:28 +0200
>> Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans@topic.nl> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm confused.
>> >
>> > Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>> >
>> > recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>> >
>> > This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>> >
>> > recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>> >

>> > Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
>> > 2017.3 version.
>> >
>> > bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
>> > ..
>> > meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
>> > meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
>> > ..
>> >
>> > so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?

Yes. The comments in bitbake/lib/bb/providers.py -> findBestProvider()
explain the process pretty well:

  If there is a PREFERRED_VERSION, find the highest-priority bbfile
  providing that version.  If not, find the latest version provided by
  an bbfile in the highest-priority set.

The only caveat is that if PREFERRED_VERSION contains a wildcard (%)
and matches more than one available version then all bets are off and
results may be unpredictable. It's up to the user to ensure that
doesn't happen.

Note that looking at the meta-xilinx recipe it seems that PV is set
manually and doesn't follow the recipe name, so depending on how you
set PV in your new recipe, it may not be completely obvious which
recipe is actually being used?

  https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/blob/master/recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb

* Re: Recipe versions and layer confusion
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-07  2:33 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-10-07  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans@topic.nl> wrote:
> I'm confused.
>
> Layer "meta-xilinx" defines:
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb
>
> This recipe is too old for my liking, so I made a newer one in "meta-topic"
>
> recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.3.bb
>

> Much to my surprise, when I build, OE picks the 2017.1 version and not the
> 2017.3 version.
>
> bitbake-layers show-layers reveils:
> ..
> meta-xilinx           /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-xilinx  5
> meta-topic            /home/mike/projects/zynq-platform/meta-topic  6
> ..
>
> so that means that my meta-topic should win even if my PV were lower, right?

what does your BBPATH look like

* Re: Recipe versions and layer confusion
@ 2017-10-07  9:15       ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2017-10-07  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06-10-17 00:10, Andre McCurdy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Leonardo Sandoval
> <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 10:19:18 -0500
>> Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Yes. The comments in bitbake/lib/bb/providers.py -> findBestProvider()
> explain the process pretty well:
>
>    If there is a PREFERRED_VERSION, find the highest-priority bbfile
>    providing that version.  If not, find the latest version provided by
>    an bbfile in the highest-priority set.
>
> The only caveat is that if PREFERRED_VERSION contains a wildcard (%)
> and matches more than one available version then all bets are off and
> results may be unpredictable. It's up to the user to ensure that
> doesn't happen.
>
> Note that looking at the meta-xilinx recipe it seems that PV is set
> manually and doesn't follow the recipe name, so depending on how you
> set PV in your new recipe, it may not be completely obvious which
> recipe is actually being used?
>
>    https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/blob/master/recipes-bsp/arm-trusted-firmware/arm-trusted-firmware_2017.1.bb

Yeah, that turned out to be the problem. The recipe is versioned as
"2017.1" but that is not the version it will actually build.

"bitbake-layers show-recipes arm-trusted-firmware" reveiled the true
versions, as Paul suggested, and that explained the strange choices.

--
Mike Looijmans