* ntpd fails to start if libcap not installed
@ 2014-03-28 13:40 Diego
From: Diego @ 2014-03-28 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi openembedders!

I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from the
initscript:
/etc/init.d/ntpd

giving the error:
Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled -- built
without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5

That is caused by the line:
start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntp.pid
"$@"

and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which is
not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Bests,
Diego

* USB wifi configuration
@ 2014-03-28 17:43 ` MONDON Daniel
From: MONDON Daniel @ 2014-03-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I have a 3.2.30 kernel.
With DISTRO = "angstrom" and DISTRO_VERSION = "v2012.05"

I want to use USB wifi dongle.

I do "bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel" modifications and put the output file .config in the required directory (renamed in defconfig).
/networking support / Wireless / ...
And /Device Drivers/Network device support/Wireless LAN/...
(I've got RTL8287L (and a netgear WG111v2) waiting for Belkin surf N150 reception).

But I have the error to "iw list" --> "nl80211 not found."

What am I forgetting.

Thanks
Daniel.

* Re: ntpd fails to start if libcap not installed
@ 2014-03-28 17:55 ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2014-03-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Diego

On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, Diego wrote:
> Hi openembedders!
>
> I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from the
> initscript:
> /etc/init.d/ntpd
>
> giving the error:
> Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled -- built
> without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
> ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5
>
> That is caused by the line:
> start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntp.pid
> "$@"
>
> and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which is
> not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Oddly enough, I was about to report the symptom today also :)

Any ntp experts know what the proper solution is? I'd be glad to propose
a patch.

Philip

@ 2014-03-28 18:04   ` Diego
From: Diego @ 2014-03-28 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Balister; +Cc: openembedded-devel

In data venerdì 28 marzo 2014 10:55:28, Philip Balister ha scritto:
> On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, Diego wrote:
> > Hi openembedders!
> >
> > I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from
> > the initscript:
> > /etc/init.d/ntpd
> >
> > giving the error:
> > Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled --
> > built without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
> > ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5
> >
> > That is caused by the line:
> > start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p
> > /var/run/ntp.pid "$@"
> >
> > and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which
> > is not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.
> >
> > Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
>
> Oddly enough, I was about to report the symptom today also :)
>
> Any ntp experts know what the proper solution is? I'd be glad to propose
> a patch.

Hi Philip,

I'd like to rephrase better my statement, as I put two errors in it:
The problem is caused by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported if ntp
is build without "--enable-linuxcaps".

As far as the manual goes, the "--enable-clockctl" is a build option for
NetBSD:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

Removing the "-u ntp:ntp" makes the initscript work, but I don't know if
shipping different ntpd initscripts based on pkgconfig is the correct thing to
do. Any expert opinion?

Bests,
Diego

* Re: ntpd fails to start if libcap not installed
@ 2014-03-30  0:07     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2014-03-30  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembeded-devel

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Diego <diego.ml@zoho.com> wrote:
> In data venerdì 28 marzo 2014 10:55:28, Philip Balister ha scritto:
>> On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, Diego wrote:
>> > Hi openembedders!
>> >
>> > I've noticed that if ntp is built without libcap, ntpd fails to start from
>> > the initscript:
>> > /etc/init.d/ntpd
>> >
>> > giving the error:
>> > Starting ntpd: /usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has been disabled --
>> > built without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
>> > ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.6p5
>> >
>> > That is caused by the line:
>> > start-stop-daemon --start -x /usr/sbin/ntpd -- -u ntp:ntp -p
>> > /var/run/ntp.pid "$@"
>> >
>> > and in particular by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported which
>> > is not supported if ntp is build without --enable-clockctl.
>> >
>> > Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
>>
>> Oddly enough, I was about to report the symptom today also :)
>>
>> Any ntp experts know what the proper solution is? I'd be glad to propose
>> a patch.
>>

> Hi Philip,
>
> I'd like to rephrase better my statement, as I put two errors in it:
> The problem is caused by the option "-u ntp:ntp" which is not supported if ntp
> is build without "--enable-linuxcaps".
>
> As far as the manual goes, the "--enable-clockctl" is a build option for
> NetBSD:
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html
>
> Removing the "-u ntp:ntp" makes the initscript work, but I don't know if
> shipping different ntpd initscripts based on pkgconfig is the correct thing to
> do. Any expert opinion?

remove the cap PKGCONFIG its redundant and everything in recipe wants
it enabled, it was  added just for having consistent builds otherwise
it was autodetected by autotools and if you had libpcap staged then it
was enabled automatically otherwisie not.

so you can either change PACKAGECONFIG ??= "" to PACKAGECONFIG_append = " cap"

or remove this completely and add the dependencies on libcap unconditionally.

* Re: USB wifi configuration
@ 2014-03-31  7:58   ` MONDON Daniel
From: MONDON Daniel @ 2014-03-31  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I have a 3.2.30 kernel.
With DISTRO = "angstrom" and DISTRO_VERSION = "v2012.05"

I want to use USB wifi dongle.

I do "bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel" modifications and put the output file .config in the required directory (renamed in defconfig).
/networking support / Wireless / ...
And /Device Drivers/Network device support/Wireless LAN/...
(I've got RTL8287L (and a netgear WG111v2) waiting for Belkin surf N150 reception).

But I have the error to "iw list" --> "nl80211 not found."

What am I forgetting.

Thanks
Daniel.

I've just cleansstate the kernel. Have I anything else more to rebuild ?

Thanks
Daniel.

* Re: USB wifi configuration
@ 2014-04-01 13:51     ` MONDON Daniel
From: MONDON Daniel @ 2014-04-01 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I have a 3.2.30 kernel.
With DISTRO = "angstrom" and DISTRO_VERSION = "v2012.05"

I want to use USB wifi dongle.

I do "bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel" modifications and put the output file .config in the required directory (renamed in defconfig).
/networking support / Wireless / ...
And /Device Drivers/Network device support/Wireless LAN/...
(I've got RTL8287L (and a netgear WG111v2) waiting for Belkin surf N150 reception).

But I have the error to "iw list" --> "nl80211 not found."

What am I forgetting.

Thanks
Daniel.

In fact, build is done and I have everything in the deploy directory.

But I don't have new modules in the packaged system :(
Isn't it automatic ? Where is the list to be updated ?

Thanks
Daniel.

* Re: USB wifi configuration
@ 2014-04-01 15:47       ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-04-01 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

It pretty much depends on your image recipe (and/or kernel recipe if you've
got a custom one).  It sounds like your custom kernel config is being used,
which is the first thing to check (there should be a kernel module package
with your driver).

Second is what gets installed to the image , so you would need to check
your image recipe (and any include files) to see whether anything installs
"kernel-modules" or a list of individual module packages (not sure if
there's a package_group).  I specifically include kernel-modules in my
image recipes so I get them all, but if you only want specific ones then
you probably need to list each one in your IMAGE_INSTALL.  So either add
"kernel-modules" or the package name to your image, or maybe just include
an image that already does that (eg, console-image).

Steve

@ 2014-04-01 16:05       ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-04-01 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I would agree, as well as making sure the ntp user owns the drift file and
its run and log directories (although I don't believe the latter is
configured in the current recipe).  Moving the drift file (and keys) to
/var/lib/ntp is a pretty standard config.

Just my $.02 ...

Steve