* what is the proper way to build with fedora rawhide/gcc-5.0?
@ 2015-03-31 19:54 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-03-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
where i have gcc-5.0.0:

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
$

which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
simple as qemux86.

  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
by adding to local.conf:

  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P"

and there were two native build issues due to gcc-5.0 being far
pickier with warnings that i sidestepped with the cheap hack:

  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "elfutils-native"
  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "binutils-native"

at this point, the build was almost complete when i hit another
compile error for udev on the target:

DEBUG: SITE files ['endian-little', 'bit-32', 'ix86-common',
'common-linux', 'common-glibc', 'i586-linux', 'common']
DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
NOTE: make -j 8
make: *** No rule to make target '/linux/input.h', needed by
'src/keymap/keys.txt'.  Stop.
ERROR: oe_runmake failed
WARNING:
/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/udev/182-r9/temp/run.do_compile.30377:1
exit 1 from
  exit 1
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at
/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/udev/182-r9/temp/log.do_compile.30377)

  in any event, is there a *preferred* way to build using fedora
rawide at this point?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: what is the proper way to build with fedora rawhide/gcc-5.0?
@ 2015-03-31 20:56 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-03-31 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On 31 March 2015 at 20:54, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   in any event, is there a *preferred* way to build using fedora
> rawide at this point?

Blimey, gcc 5 looks like a barrel of laughs.  Is installing gcc 4.x
alongside 5.0 possible, and then set BUILD_CC etc?

Ross

* Re: what is the proper way to build with fedora rawhide/gcc-5.0?
@ 2015-03-31 21:16 ` Khem Raj
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-03-31 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

> On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>

>  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
> for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
> where i have gcc-5.0.0:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
> $
>
> which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
> simple as qemux86.
>
>  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
> by adding to local.conf:
>
>  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”

This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with error details
it should be fixed.

> and there were two native build issues due to gcc-5.0 being far
> pickier with warnings that i sidestepped with the cheap hack:
>
>  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "elfutils-native"
>  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "binutils-native”

There is 2.25 update available on my contrib tree.
http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/master
should help with binutils.

> at this point, the build was almost complete when i hit another
> compile error for udev on the target:
>
> DEBUG: SITE files ['endian-little', 'bit-32', 'ix86-common',
> 'common-linux', 'common-glibc', 'i586-linux', 'common']
> DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
> NOTE: make -j 8
> make: *** No rule to make target '/linux/input.h', needed by
> 'src/keymap/keys.txt'.  Stop.

that seems to be unrelated to gcc 5.0 on host. May be you have a different issue there.

> ERROR: oe_runmake failed
> WARNING:
> /home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/udev/182-r9/temp/run.do_compile.30377:1
> exit 1 from
>  exit 1
> ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at
> /home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/udev/182-r9/temp/log.do_compile.30377)
>
>  in any event, is there a *preferred* way to build using fedora
> rawide at this point?

I think people will care when fedora 22 comes out later this summer or may be when they have beta’s coming out.

> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                        http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

* Re: what is the proper way to build with fedora rawhide/gcc-5.0?
@ 2015-03-31 21:41   ` Robert P. J. Day
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-03-31 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> >  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
> > for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
> > where i have gcc-5.0.0:
> >
> > $ gcc --version
> > gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> > $
> >
> > which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
> > simple as qemux86.
> >
> >  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
> > by adding to local.conf:
> >
> >  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”
>
> This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with
> error details it should be fixed.

  for people not sure what i'm talking about, this issue was
identified back in feb at red hat:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/207549.html

the package that initially tripped me up was ncurses-native, and
ncurses is indeed mentioned in that lengthy list of packages.

  i can try another build without "-P" and note the packages that fail
if that's useful, although i assume anyone else can trivially do the
same thing.

@ 2015-04-02 10:45   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-04-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it
> > ... for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to
> > the point where i have gcc-5.0.0:
> >
> > $ gcc --version
> > gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> > $
> >
> > which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
> > simple as qemux86.
> >
> >  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
> > by adding to local.conf:
> >
> >  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”
>
> This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with error details
> it should be fixed.
> >
> > and there were two native build issues due to gcc-5.0 being far
> > pickier with warnings that i sidestepped with the cheap hack:
> >
> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "elfutils-native"
> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "binutils-native”
>
> There is 2.25 update available on my contrib tree.
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/master
> should help with binutils.

  i *think* i mentioned earlier that the first failing package build
is ncurses-native:

| In file included from
/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/ncurses-native/5.9-r15.1/ncurses-5.9/ncurses/curses.priv.h:283:0,
|                  from ../ncurses/lib_gen.c:19:
| _9187.c:835:15: error: expected ')' before 'int'
| ../include/curses.h:1594:56: note: in definition of macro
'mouse_trafo'
|  #define mouse_trafo(y,x,to_screen)
wmouse_trafo(stdscr,y,x,to_screen)
|                                                         ^
| gcc  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../ncurses
-I/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/ncurses-native/5.9-r15.1/ncurses-5.9/ncurses
-isystem/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/include
-D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -I. -I../include
-I/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/ncurses-native/5.9-r15.1/ncurses-5.9/ncurses/../include
-I/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/include
-isystem/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/include
-D_GNU_SOURCE -O2 -pipe  --param max-inline-insns-single=1200 -fPIC -c
/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/ncurses-native/5.9-r15.1/ncurses-5.9/ncurses/base/lib_isendwin.c
-o ../obj_s/lib_isendwin.o
| Makefile:1682: recipe for target '../obj_s/lib_gen.o' failed

  this appears to be related to the issues listed in this post
describing a mass rebuild of fedora packages with gcc-5.0.0:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2015-February/207549.html

particularly this:

"Main offender this time is probably the gnu11 change that entails
different inline semantics, enables some warnings by default, bumps
the __STDC_VERSION__, and so on.  Hopefully it won't take too long
till these packages catch on. Many packages were not prepared for the
new major version of GCC.  There's also been quite a lot of churn
because of the preprocessor now emitting linemarkers in the output
when the -P option is not turned on.  The C++ compiler now rejects
some code that it used to accept.  Furthermore, GCC 5 has a batch of
new warnings, which, combined with -Werror, caused some additional
failures."

  sure enough, down that page, ncurses and a bunch of other packages
are identified as having the issue:

"these packages failed to build because of the changes in the
preprocessor; gcc started to generate line directives to better detect
whether a macro tokens come from a system header - see
http://gcc.gnu.org/PR60723 The fix is to use the -P option if the code
isn't prepared to deal with such directives."

  i see that your oe-contrib repo has a newer version of binutils, but
not of ncurses, although your ncurses SRC_URI is different. anyway,
this is just what i've tripped over lately on my rawhide system.

@ 2015-04-02 10:56   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-04-02 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> >  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
> > for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
> > where i have gcc-5.0.0:
> >
> > $ gcc --version
> > gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> > $
> >
> > which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
> > simple as qemux86.
> >
> >  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
> > by adding to local.conf:
> >
> >  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”
>
> This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with
> error details it should be fixed.

  FYI, your version of ncurses-5,9 with a more upstream SRC_URI
appears to solve the problem with building ncurses-native.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: what is the proper way to build with fedora rawhide/gcc-5.0?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-04-02 13:12   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2015-04-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >

> >  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
> > for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
> > where i have gcc-5.0.0:
> >
> > $ gcc --version
> > gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> > $
> >
> > which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
> > simple as qemux86.
> >
> >  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
> > by adding to local.conf:
> >
> >  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”
>
> This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with error details
> it should be fixed.
>

> > and there were two native build issues due to gcc-5.0 being far
> > pickier with warnings that i sidestepped with the cheap hack:
> >
> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "elfutils-native"
> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "binutils-native”
>
> There is 2.25 update available on my contrib tree.
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/master
> should help with binutils.

  ok, i finally have a full build for qemux86/core-image-minimal.
things i did:

* wiped the old kernel tarball from my local source mirror -- not
  sure why that fixed the kernel issue but a fresh download seems
  to have done the trick.
* removed the above CPPFLAGS_append line from local.conf
* used khem's ncurses recipe
* left the two ASSUME_PROVIDED lines where they were, out of sheer
  laziness since they seem to work.

  enough excitement for one day ...

@ 2015-04-02 16:17     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2015-04-02 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Khem Raj wrote:
>

>> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 12:54 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>> >

>> >  i asked about this a few weeks ago, finally getting back to it ...
>> > for better or worse, i'm running fedora rawhide, updated to the point
>> > where i have gcc-5.0.0:
>> >
>> > $ gcc --version
>> > gcc (GCC) 5.0.0 20150208 (Red Hat 5.0.0-0.10)
>> > Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> > This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>> > warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>> > $
>> >
>> > which causes a number of build issues trying to build for something as
>> > simple as qemux86.
>> >
>> >  first, there is a linemarkers issue with gcc-5.0 that i got around
>> > by adding to local.conf:
>> >
>> >  CPPFLAGS_append= " -P”
>>
>> This should not be required. Can you post the failing package with error details
>> it should be fixed.
>>

>> > and there were two native build issues due to gcc-5.0 being far
>> > pickier with warnings that i sidestepped with the cheap hack:
>> >
>> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "elfutils-native"
>> >  ASSUME_PROVIDED += "binutils-native”
>>
>> There is 2.25 update available on my contrib tree.
>> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/master
>> should help with binutils.
>
>   ok, i finally have a full build for qemux86/core-image-minimal.
> things i did:
>
> * wiped the old kernel tarball from my local source mirror -- not
>   sure why that fixed the kernel issue but a fresh download seems
>   to have done the trick.
> * removed the above CPPFLAGS_append line from local.conf
> * used khem's ncurses recipe
> * left the two ASSUME_PROVIDED lines where they were, out of sheer
>   laziness since they seem to work.

my branch will have more fixes for packages that are specifically
originating from gcc5 work. Some has already been merged some more are
to come