* Question about initramfs and fitImage
@ 2022-04-28 21:12 Khoi Dinh Trinh
From: Khoi Dinh Trinh @ 2022-04-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi All,

I'm trying to build an image that uses the currently built image as the
initramfs instead of having to specify it in "INITRAMFS_IMAGE". For
example, when I run "bibake image-something", I'm hoping to use the recipe
"image-something" as the initramfs with the end goal that it's used in
creating a fit image. AFAIK, INITRAMFS_IMAGE has to be hardcoded instead of
being dynamically set to the name of the currently built recipe(which I
completely understand since the recipe being built might not necessarily be
an image) and this makes it easy to boot the wrong thing since the recipe
specified with bitbake isn't the thing being used for booting.

My workaround so far is to create my own image recipe and set it to depend
on the image being built(specifically depend on the .cpio.gz one), however,
a lot of it is duplicate of the current fit image code.

Our use case is that we use initramfs as our only rootfs storage to make
checksum at boot easier(since the final rootfs is a .cpio.gz blob) and also
to avoid any writes to rootfs to persist across reboot.

--
Best,
Khoi Trinh

* Re: [yocto] Question about initramfs and fitImage
@ 2022-04-29 14:09 ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2022-04-29 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Khoi,

This might be is your starting point: