* what's best way for playing with kernel configurations and source code
@ 2013-05-26 15:43 Alshamlan, Mohammad
From: Alshamlan, Mohammad @ 2013-05-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everybody,

How you can reconfigure and also modify your source code without
affected your system? Please, if you want to suggest a virtual machine is
the best option, then could you tell me why? Thanks in advance.

--
Best Regards,
Mohammad Alshamlan <http://www.linkedin.com/in/maalshamlan/>

* what's best way for playing with kernel configurations and source code
@ 2013-05-26 18:31 ` Sankar P
From: Sankar P @ 2013-05-26 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Alshamlan, Mohammad <malsh002@fiu.edu> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> How you can reconfigure and also modify your source code without affected
> your system? Please, if you want to suggest a virtual machine is the best
> option, then could you tell me why? Thanks in advance.

Usually while kernel development, you do not overwrite your existing
distro-provided kernel, but install your built kernel as a new option.
This helps you in not losing access to your machine in case the kernel
changes you have made are serious.

For keeping different configurations at a source level, you can use
git local branches. See
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging
--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com

* what's best way for playing with kernel configurations and source code
@ 2013-05-27 14:21   ` Jonathan Neuschäfer
From: Jonathan Neuschäfer @ 2013-05-27 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:01:20AM +0530, Sankar P wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Alshamlan, Mohammad <malsh002@fiu.edu> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > How you can reconfigure and also modify your source code without affected
> > your system? Please, if you want to suggest a virtual machine is the best
> > option, then could you tell me why? Thanks in advance.
> >

> Usually while kernel development, you do not overwrite your existing
> distro-provided kernel, but install your built kernel as a new option.
> This helps you in not losing access to your machine in case the kernel
> changes you have made are serious.

If they're serious enough you might still break your file system and
lose your data, so it's in any case good to have a backup. ;-)

Jonathan Neusch?fer