* [dm-crypt] LUKS container creation without device mapper or loop device access
@ 2021-06-18  8:22 Yoann CONGAL
From: Yoann CONGAL @ 2021-06-18  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi,

In some environments, we would like to build an image of a LUKS
container from a cleartext image of a filesystem without having access
to the device-mapper or a loop-device.

For context : this is often the case for building embedded linux
images with Yocto/Buildroot. These builds are more and more frequently
launched from containers (Docker, LXC, ...) and these do not have easy
access to the host kernel (for DM and loop).

From what I understood of the internals of cryptsetup, it knows how to
build the LUKS header but rely on the dm-crypt module of the kernel to
do the actual data encryption. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I have two questions :
* Do you know of a tool that does the full LUKS image (header and
data) fully in userland? (I did search for it and found nothing)
* If the above answer is "It does not exist yet", would you be open to
its inclusion in cryptsetup? My guess is that a tightly managed intern
may handle this.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--