* Seek feedback: BMC console and debug info
@ 2020-08-26  3:22 Zhenfei Tai
From: Zhenfei Tai @ 2020-08-26  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

We have worked with our vendor on a system that provides console and debug
information, which can be useful in times of debugging BMC issues.

On a high level, we use obmc-console
<https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console> and phosphor-debug-collector
<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector> to collect data.

   - obmc-console: We collect console inputs from the *host* and save to
   local log files (max 8 files of 1 MB size with rotation.)
   - phosphor-debug-collector: We run this process on the BMC with no
   modification.

For the interface, the data is exposed via bmcweb where there are a pair of
URIs for console inputs and debug collector respectively.
e.g.

   - /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/Console -- Enable/disable
   console inputs data collection.
   - /redfish/v1/Systems/system/LogServices/ConsoleDownload -- Download the
   log files in a zipped file.

It will be great if we can get some feedback on whether the community finds
such a system useful and advice to improve the design.

Thanks,
Zhenfei

* Re: Seek feedback: BMC console and debug info
@ 2020-08-26  3:35 ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2020-08-26  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenfei Tai; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Yes, this would be useful to others.  A number of commercial stacks
(including some I helped write) have this feature, and I had hoped
someone would tackle it at some point in the future.

My only comment is I'd rather that we don't duplicate the endpoints in
Redfish, and have both a Console and a ConsoleDownload collection.  If
we need a mechanism to download the full log files, I'd recommend that
the Console endpoint obey an Accept header of "text/plain;
charset=utf-8" and an Accept-Encoding header of "gzip".  That way,
we're still meeting the intent of the HTTP and Redfish specs, even if
we're providing more data download options than they require.

Other than that, yeah, sounds great, lets see the patchset.

-Ed

@ 2020-08-26 16:51 ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-08-26 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhenfei Tai, OpenBMC Maillist

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Zhenfei Tai <ztai@google.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 8:24 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Seek feedback: BMC console and debug info

Hi,

We have worked with our vendor on a system that provides console and debug information, which can be useful in times of debugging BMC issues.

On a high level, we use obmc-console<https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console> and phosphor-debug-collector<https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-debug-collector> to collect data.

  *   obmc-console: We collect console inputs from the host and save to local log files (max 8 files of 1 MB size with rotation.)
There is already an application name phosphor-hostlogger which saves console data in a file.

@ 2020-08-26 19:58   ` Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2020-08-26 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 8/25/2020 8:35 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> Yes, this would be useful to others.  A number of commercial stacks
> (including some I helped write) have this feature, and I had hoped
> someone would tackle it at some point in the future.
>
> My only comment is I'd rather that we don't duplicate the endpoints in
> Redfish, and have both a Console and a ConsoleDownload collection.  If
> we need a mechanism to download the full log files, I'd recommend that
> the Console endpoint obey an Accept header of "text/plain;
> charset=utf-8" and an Accept-Encoding header of "gzip".  That way,
> we're still meeting the intent of the HTTP and Redfish specs, even if
> we're providing more data download options than they require.
I still need to go dig into it, but I think the new Redfish schemas that
were added to support the Dump service, added an "AdditionalDataURI"
property that can provide a URI to download a larger set of additional
dump data.  It may be what you need for the log file download.

@ 2020-08-30  3:53     ` Zhenfei Tai
From: Zhenfei Tai @ 2020-08-30  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks a lot for the feedback and we're glad that it's something the
community is interested in!
We'll incorporate the advice and improve the patchset.

Jason - If you have time, could you share the findings of the
"AdditionalDataURI" schema change? I've only managed to find some slides
<https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/Redfish_Diagnostic_Data_Logging_Proposal_05-2020-WIP_0.pdf>
from May.

Thanks,
Zhenfei

@ 2020-09-02 18:59       ` Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2020-09-02 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 8/29/2020 8:53 PM, Zhenfei Tai wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the feedback and we're glad that it's something the
> community is interested in!
> We'll incorporate the advice and improve the patchset.
>
> Jason - If you have time, could you share the findings of the
> "AdditionalDataURI" schema change? I've only managed to find some slides
> <https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/Redfish_Diagnostic_Data_Logging_Proposal_05-2020-WIP_0.pdf>
> from May.
Sorry, I don't know much about it besides that the schema change is
coming.  I checked on the DMTF website and it doesn't look like the new
schema has been posted, yet.

@ 2020-09-03  3:29         ` Richard Hanley
From: Richard Hanley @ 2020-09-03  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

I've been out of the loop on this for a while. Does anyone know if progress
has been made on the DumpService in DMTF. I remember there were some
proposals a while back, but I can't remember where they left off.

- Richard

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Bills, Jason M <

@ 2020-09-08  0:27           ` Gunnar Mills
From: Gunnar Mills @ 2020-09-08  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Hanley, Bills, Jason M; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist