* "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-01-03 13:52 Andrey Utkin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrey Utkin @ 2016-01-03 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, git; +Cc: Andrey Utkin

After "Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y" prompt and
before "Password for 'smtp://XXX@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587':"
prompt I always have a delay of 2-3 minutes. It is weird! "Unsafe
clients" are allowed in Gmail settings.
I experience this both with @gmail.com mailbox and with gmail-based
company domain mail.
I noticed this happening the first time several months ago.
Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution?
My git version is 2.6.4.

--
Bluecherry developer.

* Re: "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-01-03 15:59 ` Jeff Merkey
From: Jeff Merkey @ 2016-01-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Utkin; +Cc: linux-kernel, git, Andrey Utkin

On 1/3/16, Andrey Utkin <andrey.utkin@corp.bluecherry.net> wrote:
> After "Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y" prompt and
> before "Password for 'smtp://XXX@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587':"
> prompt I always have a delay of 2-3 minutes. It is weird! "Unsafe
> clients" are allowed in Gmail settings.
> I experience this both with @gmail.com mailbox and with gmail-based
> company domain mail.
> I noticed this happening the first time several months ago.
> Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution?
> My git version is 2.6.4.
>
> --

Yes. I see it.  It's the gmail smtp gateway but 3 minutes is short, I
am seeing longer.  It's gmail not git.

Jeff

@ 2016-01-05 11:27 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2016-01-05 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Andrey Utkin
<andrey.utkin@corp.bluecherry.net> wrote:
> After "Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y" prompt and
> before "Password for 'smtp://XXX@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587':"
> prompt I always have a delay of 2-3 minutes. It is weird! "Unsafe
> clients" are allowed in Gmail settings.
> I experience this both with @gmail.com mailbox and with gmail-based
> company domain mail.
> I noticed this happening the first time several months ago.
> Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution?
> My git version is 2.6.4.

Does it work better if you store the (preferably app-specific) password in
smtppass in .gitconfig?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-01-05 15:41   ` Andrey Utkin
From: Andrey Utkin @ 2016-01-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Does it work better if you store the (preferably app-specific) password in
> smtppass in .gitconfig?

No.

* Re: "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-02-08  0:22 ` Andrey Utkin
From: Andrey Utkin @ 2016-02-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Andrey Utkin
<andrey.utkin@corp.bluecherry.net> wrote:
> After "Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y" prompt and
> before "Password for 'smtp://XXX@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587':"
> prompt I always have a delay of 2-3 minutes. It is weird! "Unsafe
> clients" are allowed in Gmail settings.
> I experience this both with @gmail.com mailbox and with gmail-based
> company domain mail.
> I noticed this happening the first time several months ago.
> Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution?
> My git version is 2.6.4.

Tested more with fresh git version 2.7.1.380.g0fea050 (from git's git)
 # equery list '*' | grep -i smtp
dev-perl/Net-SMTP-SSL-1.30.0
mail-mta/ssmtp-2.64-r3

It seems the delay is caused by git-send-email trying to resolve
workstation's FQDN.
When I add "smtpdomain = localhost.localdomain" to [sendmail] section
in gitconfig, it proceeds immediately.
The same behavior (including workaround case) happens with
openmailbox.org and fastmail.com for me.
BTW "smtpEncryption = tls" in gitconfig seems to mean STARTTLS, so
using fastmail's TLS port 465 doesn't work at all, you need to use
587.

* Re: "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-02-08  0:42   ` Jeff Merkey
From: Jeff Merkey @ 2016-02-08  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/7/16, Andrey Utkin <andrey.utkin@corp.bluecherry.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Andrey Utkin
> <andrey.utkin@corp.bluecherry.net> wrote:
>> After "Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): y" prompt and
>> before "Password for 'smtp://XXX@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587':"
>> prompt I always have a delay of 2-3 minutes. It is weird! "Unsafe
>> clients" are allowed in Gmail settings.
>> I experience this both with @gmail.com mailbox and with gmail-based
>> company domain mail.
>> I noticed this happening the first time several months ago.
>> Has anybody else experienced this? Any solution?
>> My git version is 2.6.4.
>
> Tested more with fresh git version 2.7.1.380.g0fea050 (from git's git)
>  # equery list '*' | grep -i smtp
> dev-perl/Net-SMTP-SSL-1.30.0
> mail-mta/ssmtp-2.64-r3
>
> It seems the delay is caused by git-send-email trying to resolve
> workstation's FQDN.
> When I add "smtpdomain = localhost.localdomain" to [sendmail] section
> in gitconfig, it proceeds immediately.
> The same behavior (including workaround case) happens with
> openmailbox.org and fastmail.com for me.
> BTW "smtpEncryption = tls" in gitconfig seems to mean STARTTLS, so
> using fastmail's TLS port 465 doesn't work at all, you need to use
> 587.

Try this page.  Some good gmail config info.

http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch

Jeff

* Re: "git send-email" thru Gmail incurs few minutes delay
@ 2016-02-08  3:15     ` Andrey Utkin
From: Andrey Utkin @ 2016-02-08  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try this page.  Some good gmail config info.
>
> http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but I believe there's nothing new for me. I have
successfully sent my first kernel patch a long time ago.
Also my gitconfig sendemail section follows exactly the gmail-based
example from git-send-email manpage.

--
Bluecherry developer.