* [meta-virtualization]: dunfell docker run issues
@ 2021-02-04 15:03 Marek Belisko
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marek Belisko @ 2021-02-04 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Bruce Ashfield

Hi,

I'm trying to run docker containers on orangepi and use
meta-virtualization layer to add docker. I've installed the docker-ce
package and everything seems to be fine.

But docker service seems fails to start with:
Feb 04 15:00:01 orange-pi-zero dockerd[495]: failed to start daemon:
Devices cgroup isn't mounted

I was trying to add various options to kernel command line like
described here: https://github.com/docker/cli/issues/2104

but it doesn't work. My command-line looks like:
...systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 cgroup_enable=memory
cgroup_memory=1 swapaccount=1 cgroup_no_v1=all

Any other ideas what to check? Thanks a lot.

BR,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

* Re: [yocto] [meta-virtualization]: dunfell docker run issues
@ 2021-02-05 11:10 ` Nicolas Jeker
From: Nicolas Jeker @ 2021-02-05 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Belisko, yocto; +Cc: Bruce Ashfield

On Thu, 2021-02-04 at 16:03 +0100, Marek Belisko wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to run docker containers on orangepi and use
> meta-virtualization layer to add docker. I've installed the docker-ce
> package and everything seems to be fine.
>
> But docker service seems fails to start with:
> Feb 04 15:00:01 orange-pi-zero dockerd[495]: failed to start daemon:
> Devices cgroup isn't mounted

Is your kernel actually configured with cgroups support?

You need CONFIG_CGROUPS and many of the child configs. From your error
message I suspect you're missing CONFIG_CGROUP_DEVICE, but that's just
an educated guess.

Maybe take a look at the Gentoo wiki to see which CONFIG's need to be
set (just disregard the Gentoo specifics):
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Docker#Kernel

These are the CGROUP-related configs:

Menuconfig:
General setup  --->
    [*] POSIX Message Queues
    -*- Control Group support  --->
        [*]   Memory controller
        [*]     Swap controller
        [*]       Swap controller enabled by default
        [*]   IO controller
        [ ]     IO controller debugging
        [*]   CPU controller  --->
              [*]   Group scheduling for SCHED_OTHER
              [*]     CPU bandwidth provisioning for FAIR_GROUP_SCHED
              [*]   Group scheduling for SCHED_RR/FIFO
        [*]   PIDs controller
        [*]   Freezer controller
        [*]   HugeTLB controller
        [*]   Cpuset controller
        [*]     Include legacy /proc/<pid>/cpuset file
        [*]   Device controller
        [*]   Simple CPU accounting controller
        [*]   Perf controller
        [ ]   Example controller

@ 2021-02-06  9:02 ` Robert Berger
From: Robert Berger @ 2021-02-06  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Belisko, yocto; +Cc: Bruce Ashfield

Hi,

On 04/02/2021 17:03, Marek Belisko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run docker containers on orangepi and use
> meta-virtualization layer to add docker. I've installed the docker-ce
> package and everything seems to be fine.
>
> But docker service seems fails to start with:
> Feb 04 15:00:01 orange-pi-zero dockerd[495]: failed to start daemon:
> Devices cgroup isn't mounted

Can you please tell us which version of yocto this is?

Also which kernel and especially which kernel config.

I use something pretty recent (master kind of) and I am able to start
docker and podman with a custom kernel, but networking is very wrong.

e.g.
1) if I run a web service in a container and open port 8080 to the
outside world it is not accessible.

2) it's also not possible with docker-compose/podman-compose to
communicate between containers

... unless I put everything on the host network.

Once you reconfigure your kernel and get it up and running could you
please also test the issues I mention here?

BTW will dunfell it seems to work, I need to retest, but I have some
boards running with it, I believe.

If you manage to get an upstream kernel to run on your orangepi zero I
guess I could even give you my layers to give it a try. You will need
another device tree and boot loader, but the rest should work.

Regards,

Robert

* Re: [yocto] [meta-virtualization]: dunfell docker run issues
@ 2021-02-07  0:01 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2021-02-07  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Belisko; +Cc: yocto, Bruce Ashfield

Marek,

This might indeed indicate a configuration mismatch. Lots of stuff
comes up on Google that you might want to check.

One is a change in systemd that affects this. Sorry I don't have a
link ready anymore.

Regards,

Leon.

--