* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-09 23:55 Markus Willhelm Schmid
From: Markus Willhelm Schmid @ 2022-03-09 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

I am trying to use the TSS library tpm2-tss with a simulator (any simulator
that works). The documentation for tpm2-tss states I have to use the
microsoft simulator but you mentioned I have to use IBM's simulator (see my
previous email). I have the microsoft simulator executable, which I
initially tested (my first email). Based on your instructions, I then tried
to compile IBM's simulator, which failed (see my previous email ' this code
will not compile on Windows or Linux').

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 3:07 PM Roberts, William C <
william.c.roberts(a)intel.com> wrote:

> So there are two projects here:
>

>    1. TSS - This is the library for using a TPM, its the software API
>    2. ibmswtpm2 - This is the simulator playing the role of TPM hardware
>

> As far as TSS's go, there are two choices:
> IBM TSS
> tpm2-tss (this mailing list).
>
> The tpm2-tss follows a more complete specification created by the TCG
> (covers way more stuff than what the IBM TSS is built to).
> the tpm2-tss has the lions share of the market (70%), but both TSS's work.
>
> But lets back up, what are you trying to build and run on? Is it windows,
> linux, mac, bsd, etc? What version?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>

> ------------------------------

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 16104 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-11 19:25 Markus Willhelm Schmid
From: Markus Willhelm Schmid @ 2022-03-11 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Markus Willhelm Schmid
11:24 AM (0 minutes ago)
to Kenneth
Thank you Ken, but I am OK just using Microsoft's TPM Simulator.exe, which
I now got working after modifying tpm2-tss/src/util/io.c. The MS simulator
only listens on IPv4 and io.c may fail since the list from getaddrinfo may
return IPv6 address before IPv4 address. I did not look into the logic, I
just did a quick fix:
        if (*sock == INVALID_SOCKET
           || p->ai_family != AF_INET) //PATCH MS sim listens on IPv4 only
            continue;

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 5:34 AM Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 07:44 -0800, Markus Willhelm Schmid wrote:
> > I made an error in my previous email, I pasted in the URL to IBM's TCC
> > stack and not to IBM's SW TPM. This is what I am trying to compile.
> > INVALID URI REMOVED
> > rojects_ibmswtpm2_&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=DZCVG43VcL8GTne
> > MZb8k8lEwb-O1GZktFfre1-mlmiA&m=k6WL9yJ4ArEed9DYXhOAaVAksQL5eN0-AESxyTz
> > f2Oo&s=jrTnVugnHRzLNiYwgHBvGhVR1XxGQJy1WFmXGZQyrBw&e=
>

> FYI Ken has a staged version that's ready to go with OpenSSL 3.0.1:
> https://github.com/kgoldman/ibmswtpm2/tree/next
>
> [kgold] A bit of background.  The TPM reference code (from the
> specification) sometimes looks inside a OpenSSL structure that was later
> made opaque.  Each time a new openssl version is released, I check to see
> if the structure has changed.  The #error message reminds me to check.  So
> far, we're good to 3.0.1.
>
> As Bill said, the staged version updated the check.

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 8538 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-11 13:34 Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2022-03-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

@ 2022-03-10 16:17 Roberts, William C
From: Roberts, William C @ 2022-03-10 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

On Wed, 2022-03-09 at 13:08 -0800, Markus Willhelm Schmid wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
>
> I am a noob and I am just trying to learn. I have no TPM on my
> computer so I have to use a simulator.
>
> I am a little confused since this page:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ibmswtpm2/
> Says: The latter implements the protocol exposed by the Microsoft
> software TPM2 simulator. Google sent me to:
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52507
>
> When you say IBM simulator, are you referring to:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ibmtpm20tss/
> If so, this code will not compile on Windows or Linux. I tried to
> bypass the ifdef for OpenSSL version check in the headers, but I then
> got a lot of errors. I believe this code requires an ancient
> (unspecified) OpenSSL version. Also, I could not find anything pre-
> built.

That's the TSS which provides an API to the TPM, nothing more, nothing
less.

This is the reference implementation of a TPM2.0 simualtor by
microsoft:
  - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52507

The download says TSS but if you follow the link from this page:
  -
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/the-trusted-platform-module-tpm/

its really the simulator as pre-built binary (the zip file name says
simulator as well)

The source for the MS simulator is open source and found here:
  - https://github.com/microsoft/ms-tpm-20-ref

This is the ibmtpm simulator which is the reference code/microsoft
simulator massaged for linux and ken adds a few things if IIUC:
  - https://sourceforge.net/projects/ibmswtpm2/

The interface (2 sockets) to the simulators between the IBM and MS
versions is identical. In tpm2-tss world, they use the mssim tcti.

<snip>

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-10 16:09 Roberts, William C
From: Roberts, William C @ 2022-03-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

Ahh lore, The Microsoft simulator is the IBM simulator. Ken over at IBM takes the Microsoft code and massages it for Linux. The interface over sockets
is the same, Ken never changes that.

Bill
________________________________

[...]

ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:439:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init() Failed to open device file /dev/tpm0: No such file or directory
WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:62:tcti_from_init() TCTI init for function 0x7f9b65ec1fb0 failed with a000a
WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:92:tcti_from_info() Could not initialize TCTI named: tcti-device
ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:150:tcti_from_file() Could not initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-device.so.0
WARNING:esys:src/tss2-esys/api/Esys_GetRandom.c:277:Esys_GetRandom_Finish() Received TPM Error
ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/api/Esys_GetRandom.c:95:Esys_GetRandom() Esys Finish ErrorCode (0x00000100)

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 17728 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-10 16:08 Roberts, William C
From: Roberts, William C @ 2022-03-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 07:44 -0800, Markus Willhelm Schmid wrote:
> I made an error in my previous email, I pasted in the URL to IBM's
> TCC stack and not to IBM's SW TPM. This is what I am trying to
> compile.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ibmswtpm2/

FYI Ken has a staged version that's ready to go with OpenSSL 3.0.1:
https://github.com/kgoldman/ibmswtpm2/tree/next

> On Windows, my OpenSSL version is 3.0.1 and on Linux, it's 1.1.1f
>  (31 Mar 2020). The version number triggers when I compile SW TPM on
> Windows and when I bypass this version check, the following fails:
> #if    defined THIRTY_TWO_BIT && (RADIX_BITS != 32) \
>     || ((defined SIXTY_FOUR_BIT_LONG || defined SIXTY_FOUR_BIT) \
> && (RADIX_BITS != 64))
> #   error Ossl library is using different radix
> #endif
>
> The above compiles after changing the Visual Studio project from 32
> bit to 64 bit. In other words, there appears to be a problem with
> this project file.
>
> So I managed to compile for both Linux and Windows. When I run the
> simulator on Linux and try the test program I mentioned in my first
> email, I see this being printed by the simulator:
>
> Command IPv4 client accepted
> Platform IPv4 client accepted

That's good, that means you have connected from your application to the
TPM 2.0 simulator.

> However, the client still prints:
> ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:439:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init()
> Failed to open device file /dev/tpmrm0: No such file or directory
> WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:62:tcti_from_init() TCTI init
> for function 0x7f56f5701fb0 failed with a000a
> WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:92:tcti_from_info() Could not
> initialize TCTI named: tcti-device
> ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:150:tcti_from_file() Could not
> initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-device.so.0
> ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:439:Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init()
> Failed to open device file /dev/tpm0: No such file or directory
> WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:62:tcti_from_init() TCTI init
> for function 0x7f56f5701fb0 failed with a000a
> WARNING:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr.c:92:tcti_from_info() Could not
> initialize TCTI named: tcti-device
> ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tctildr-dl.c:150:tcti_from_file() Could not
> initialize TCTI file: libtss2-tcti-device.so.0

So based on tpm2-tss version, you'll get some noise from the auto
discovery failing on probes, IIUC it was fixed in

commit 860a2cc628fe775a74b88d71b6df631b0ad3dc42
Author: Tadeusz Struk <tadeusz.struk(a)intel.com>
Date:   Mon Mar 22 17:53:25 2021 -0700

    tcti: quiet tcti ldr noise

    Fixes: #2009
    Signed-off-by: Tadeusz Struk <tadeusz.struk(a)intel.com>

Which is included in releases 3.1.0 and higher (so those releases will
be quiet and not make this noise), which version of tpm2-tss are you
using?

> WARNING:esys:src/tss2-
> esys/api/Esys_GetRandom.c:277:Esys_GetRandom_Finish() Received TPM
> Error
> ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/api/Esys_GetRandom.c:95:Esys_GetRandom()
> Esys Finish ErrorCode (0x00000100)
> Error: Esys_GetRandom
>
> The last error is from my test program:
>     Esys_Initialize ..... this seems to be OK
>     r = Esys_GetRandom(ctx, ESYS_TR_NONE, ESYS_TR_NONE, ESYS_TR_NONE,
> 20,
>                        &random_bytes);
>
>     if (r != TSS2_RC_SUCCESS){
>         printf("\nError: Esys_GetRandom\n");
>         exit(1);
>     }
>
> Questions:
> How do I make the test program work (Esys_GetRandom) with the
> simulator?

So this is the error:
tpm2 rc_decode 0x00000100
tpm:error(2.0): TPM not initialized by TPM2_Startup or already
initialized

This code was written assuming a resource manager, which sends the
startup command. If you add the startup command it should work, between
Initialize and GetRandom do:

rc - Esys_Startup(ctx, TPM2_SU_CLEAR);

The other option would be to run a resource manager.

@ 2022-03-10 15:44 Markus Willhelm Schmid
From: Markus Willhelm Schmid @ 2022-03-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

> [...]

    Esys_Initialize ..... *this seems to be OK*
    r = Esys_GetRandom(ctx, ESYS_TR_NONE, ESYS_TR_NONE, ESYS_TR_NONE, 20,
                       &random_bytes);

    if (r != TSS2_RC_SUCCESS){
        printf("\n*Error: Esys_GetRandom*\n");
        exit(1);
    }

Questions:
How do I make the test program work (Esys_GetRandom) with the simulator?
if the IBM simulator is required (IBM SW TPM), why does the documentation
state that I have to use the Microsoft simulator (ref:
https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-tss/blob/master/README.md)?
If tpm2-tss library is compliant, should the stack not work with any
compatible TPM 2.0 simulator, including Microsoft's simulator and IBM's
simulator?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 6:11 AM Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 5785 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-10 14:11 Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2022-03-10 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

If so, this code will not compile on Windows or Linux. I tried to bypass the ifdef for OpenSSL version check in the headers, but I then got a lot of errors. I believe this code requires an ancient (unspecified) OpenSSL version. Also, I could not find anything pre-built.
[kgold]
[kgold] I support the IBM SW TPM.  I test it on Windows and many Linux, with various OpenSS, gcc, mingw, Visual Studio.  If something doesn't work, file a bug report, email me, post here, but don't just give up.  It's widely used.

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.htm --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3450 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-09 21:08 Markus Willhelm Schmid
From: Markus Willhelm Schmid @ 2022-03-09 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpm2

> [...]

> ERROR:esys:esys_context.c:69:Esys_Initialize() Initialize default tcti.
> ErrorCode (0x000a000a)
>
> I don't see it try the mssim simulator, I wonder if it wasn't built or not
> found on the library path (no idea how to check that on windows). For linux
> something like ldconfig -v -N | grep mssim should come back with a
> result.
>
> As you can see its on my path. If it isn't you can set env variable
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include it or configure ld to include it (see
> https://blog.andrewbeacock.com/2007/10/how-to-add-shared-libraries-to-linuxs.html
> ).
>
> Additionally you could look at using configure time
> option --with-tctidefaultmodule to set it to tss2-tcti-mssim.so (I guess it
> would be dll for windows?)
>
> Sorry I cannot be of much help with windows, maybe something in there will

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 13210 bytes --]

* [tpm2] Re: How do I use Microsoft's sim (TSS.MSR) with lib tss2-esys
@ 2022-03-09 15:41 Roberts, William C