* [RFC v4 0/4] watchdog: add driver for RWDT watchdog
@ 2016-01-08 21:12 Wolfram Sang
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2016-01-08 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

So, here is my newest version of the RWDT watchdog driver. Changes since last RFC:

* added binding docs
* removed 'timeout' module parameter in favor of dt setting 'timeout-sec'
  (The Gen3 BSP did this using an incremental patch)
* added comment about this driver and Gen2 HW issues
* rebased to renesas-drivers-2016-01-05-v4.4-rc8
* use min_t() instead of min()

I tested this on Lager with my hacky patches enabling RWDT in UP mode. For this
series, I picked and updated the integration patches for Gen3 from the BSP.
Note that this driver also needs a RESET module driver to work on Gen3. Since
we don't have that yet (couldn't even find it in the BSP), it is untested on
Gen3. Since it works on Gen2 and the datasheet doesn't specify any difference,
my proposal would be that I mark this task as done and leave the integration
with the reset module to the core group. If any problems with this driver show
up, I'll be there, of course. Would that be okay with the core group?

Regards,

   Wolfram

Takeshi Kihara (1):
  arm64: dts: salvator-x: Enable watchdog timer

Wolfram Sang (3):
  watchdog: renesas-rwdt: add driver
  arm64: dts: r8a7795: Add RWDT node
  clk: r8a7795: add RWDT clock

 .../devicetree/bindings/watchdog/renesas-rwdt.txt  |  18 ++
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7795-salvator-x.dts |   4 +
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7795.dtsi           |   7 +
 drivers/clk/shmobile/r8a7795-cpg-mssr.c            |   1 +
 drivers/watchdog/Kconfig                           |   8 +
 drivers/watchdog/Makefile                          |   1 +
 drivers/watchdog/renesas_rwdt.c                    | 224 +++++++++++++++++++++
 7 files changed, 263 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/watchdog/renesas-rwdt.txt
 create mode 100644 drivers/watchdog/renesas_rwdt.c

--
2.1.4

* Re: [RFC v4 0/4] watchdog: add driver for RWDT watchdog
@ 2016-01-14 17:32 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2016-01-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

Hi Wolfram,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
> So, here is my newest version of the RWDT watchdog driver. Changes since last RFC:
>
> * added binding docs
> * removed 'timeout' module parameter in favor of dt setting 'timeout-sec'
>   (The Gen3 BSP did this using an incremental patch)
> * added comment about this driver and Gen2 HW issues
> * rebased to renesas-drivers-2016-01-05-v4.4-rc8
> * use min_t() instead of min()
>
> I tested this on Lager with my hacky patches enabling RWDT in UP mode. For this
> series, I picked and updated the integration patches for Gen3 from the BSP.
> Note that this driver also needs a RESET module driver to work on Gen3. Since
> we don't have that yet (couldn't even find it in the BSP), it is untested on
> Gen3. Since it works on Gen2 and the datasheet doesn't specify any difference,
> my proposal would be that I mark this task as done and leave the integration
> with the reset module to the core group. If any problems with this driver show
> up, I'll be there, of course. Would that be okay with the core group?

Just wondering: can't you test it on Gen3 the same way as on Gen2?
Or does the firmware interfere?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: [RFC v4 0/4] watchdog: add driver for RWDT watchdog
@ 2016-03-01 11:31 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2016-03-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh

Hi Wolfram,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Wolfram Sang <wsa@the-dreams.de> wrote:
>> So, here is my newest version of the RWDT watchdog driver. Changes since last RFC:
>>
>> * added binding docs
>> * removed 'timeout' module parameter in favor of dt setting 'timeout-sec'
>>   (The Gen3 BSP did this using an incremental patch)
>> * added comment about this driver and Gen2 HW issues
>> * rebased to renesas-drivers-2016-01-05-v4.4-rc8
>> * use min_t() instead of min()
>>
>> I tested this on Lager with my hacky patches enabling RWDT in UP mode. For this
>> series, I picked and updated the integration patches for Gen3 from the BSP.
>> Note that this driver also needs a RESET module driver to work on Gen3. Since
>> we don't have that yet (couldn't even find it in the BSP), it is untested on
>> Gen3. Since it works on Gen2 and the datasheet doesn't specify any difference,
>> my proposal would be that I mark this task as done and leave the integration
>> with the reset module to the core group. If any problems with this driver show
>> up, I'll be there, of course. Would that be okay with the core group?
>
> Just wondering: can't you test it on Gen3 the same way as on Gen2?
> Or does the firmware interfere?

Have you tried this on Gen3?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: [RFC v4 0/4] watchdog: add driver for RWDT watchdog
@ 2016-03-01 13:49 ` Wolfram Sang
From: Wolfram Sang @ 2016-03-01 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sh