* [[net-next] lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use IFF_NO_QUEUE instead
@ 2015-08-25 11:16 Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2015-08-25 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Sutter, David S. Miller; +Cc: netdev

I don't know if this was reported before (I'm not subscribed to netdev), but
Google couldn't find it:

lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use
IFF_NO_QUEUE instead

Presumably introduced by
commit 906470c19da771e638e7c8e16e16c31995b139cc
Author: Phil Sutter <phil@nwl.cc>
Date:   Tue Aug 18 10:30:48 2015 +0200

    net: warn if drivers set tx_queue_len = 0

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: [[net-next] lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use IFF_NO_QUEUE instead
@ 2015-08-26  9:34 ` Phil Sutter
From: Phil Sutter @ 2015-08-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: David S. Miller, netdev

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:16:41PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> I don't know if this was reported before (I'm not subscribed to netdev), but
> Google couldn't find it:
>
> lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use
> IFF_NO_QUEUE instead

This is fixed by commit e65db2b ("net: loopback: convert to using
IFF_NO_QUEUE"), part of a bigger series converting drivers (see here:
http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2015/08/18/52).

Cheers, Phil

* Re: [[net-next] lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use IFF_NO_QUEUE instead
@ 2015-08-26 10:16   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2015-08-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven, David S. Miller, netdev

Hi Phil,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Phil Sutter <phil@nwl.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:16:41PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> I don't know if this was reported before (I'm not subscribed to netdev), but
>> Google couldn't find it:
>>
>> lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use
>> IFF_NO_QUEUE instead
>
> This is fixed by commit e65db2b ("net: loopback: convert to using
> IFF_NO_QUEUE"), part of a bigger series converting drivers (see here:
> http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2015/08/18/52).

Strange, that commit is included in my tree, which is based on
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/geert/renesas-drivers.git/
and includes net-next?

@ 2015-08-26 11:03     ` Phil Sutter
From: Phil Sutter @ 2015-08-26 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: David S. Miller, netdev

Hi Geert,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:16:47PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Phil Sutter <phil@nwl.cc> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:16:41PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >> I don't know if this was reported before (I'm not subscribed to netdev), but
> >> Google couldn't find it:
> >>
> >> lo uses DEPRECATED zero tx_queue_len - convert driver to use
> >> IFF_NO_QUEUE instead
> >
> > This is fixed by commit e65db2b ("net: loopback: convert to using
> > IFF_NO_QUEUE"), part of a bigger series converting drivers (see here:
> > http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2015/08/18/52).
>
> Strange, that commit is included in my tree, which is based on
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/geert/renesas-drivers.git/
> and includes net-next?

I'm sorry, the above statement was too quickly put. Florian Westphal
confirmed the problem you are seeing privately, and I can follow from
looking at the code. Obviously I failed to notice that by using
alloc_netdev instead of alloc_etherdev, there is a way for drivers to
circumvent ether_setup completely which leaves tx_queue_len
uninitialized (i.e., 0) and therefore triggers the warning.

I'm yet unsure how to properly fix this issue, but moving the check to a
more appropriate place is certainly advisable.

Thanks for pointing this out,

Phil