* string_selftest_init needs 636 ms to run
@ 2018-03-12 13:45 Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2018-03-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Geert,

Sorry for writing you directory, but I saw you created the module
*string_selftest* in commit d6b28e09 (lib: add module support to string
tests).

I believe, I only did `make olddefconfig`, and the option is selected.

```
$ grep STRING_SELFTEST .config
CONFIG_STRING_SELFTEST=y
```

But booting with `initcall_debug` and looking at the systemd-bootchart
output in `/run/log`, doing this lasts 600 ms on my ASRock E350M1 with
Linux 4.16-rc5 (probably since the 4.15 cycle).

 > string_selftest_init 636.2ms

If I didn’t do anything incorrectly, should the module be disable by
default?

Kind regards,

Paul

* Re: string_selftest_init needs 636 ms to run
@ 2018-03-12 14:17 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2018-03-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
> Sorry for writing you directory, but I saw you created the module
> *string_selftest* in commit d6b28e09 (lib: add module support to string
> tests).
>
> I believe, I only did `make olddefconfig`, and the option is selected.
>
> ```
> $ grep STRING_SELFTEST .config
> CONFIG_STRING_SELFTEST=y
> ```
>
> But booting with `initcall_debug` and looking at the systemd-bootchart
> output in `/run/log`, doing this lasts 600 ms on my ASRock E350M1 with Linux
> 4.16-rc5 (probably since the 4.15 cycle).
>
>> string_selftest_init 636.2ms
>
> If I didn’t do anything incorrectly, should the module be disable by
> default?

lib/Kconfig:

    config STRING_SELFTEST
            tristate "Test string functions"

In the absence of any "default" statement, the default is "n", so the module
should be already disabled by default.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds