* bitbake gstreamer1.0 : "Nothing PROVIDES 'gobject-introspection'"
@ 2018-09-05 13:36 Tarun Tej K
From: Tarun Tej K @ 2018-09-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I am trying to build the latest gstreamer version 1.14.2 using the yocto
recipes from
https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/tree/master/meta/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer

I have added new version recipes to my custom yocto layer; added the
required .bbclass files to 'classes' directory inside my custom layer.
There are older version (1.4.5, 1.6.0) recipes in other layers but my layer
has higher priority so the 'bitbake -s' shows 1.14.2 as the version of
gstreamer family, so that proves the recipes are successfully parsed.

After that I am trying to build gstreamer1.0 using the command '*bitbake
gstreamer1.0*' but I get an error saying
*Nothing PROVIDES 'gobject-introspection' .......... *
*Close matches: *
*gobject-introspection-stub *
*gobject-introspection-native*

I have verified that the gobject-introspection.bbclass file has been added
to classed directory of my layer. I have removed gobject-introspection from
the inherit list in the  gstreamer1.0_1.14.2.bb and it successfully
continued to bitbake until some 'installed but not shipped' error occurred
at do_package_qa task. Also another class 'upstream-version-is-even.bbclass'
is also inherited by gstreamer1.0_1.14.2.bb and that is also present in
same directory as gobject-introspection.bbclass but I don't get any error
with that.

I am using the yocto setup cloned from freescale's repository (
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git/tree/imx-4.1.15-1.1.2.xml?h=imx-4.1.15-1.0.0_ga),
so this might contain older dependency libraries. Also the bitbake version
is 1.28.0

What could be the problem? Please let me know if I need to provide any
additional information to understand issue better.

Thanks
Tarun

* Re: bitbake gstreamer1.0 : "Nothing PROVIDES 'gobject-introspection'"
@ 2018-09-05 14:14 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-09-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarun Tej K; +Cc: OE-core

What is the issue though? You need to be clear about it: paste the
exact, specific error message you are getting.

Generally, I would recommend that you update to the latest YP release
first. Backporting recipes in this fashion is a complicated task.

Alex

@ 2018-09-05 14:25   ` Tarun Tej K
From: Tarun Tej K @ 2018-09-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-core

Thanks for the response.

The issue I have is, although I have added the
gobject-introspection.bbclass within the classes directory, I get an error
saying 'Nothing PROVIDES 'gobject-introspection'.

The other class I use (upstream-version-is-even.bbclass) is also present in
the same directory but it gets inherited by gstreamer1.0_1.14.2.bb without
any error. Why is there a problem for gobject-introspection only?

I totally agree to your point about updating to latest YP release. It is
just that our project is depending on some recipes related to older version
BSP so it will be a while before we completely migrate to latest release.

Thanks
Tarun

@ 2018-09-05 14:31     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-09-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarun Tej K; +Cc: OE-core

'Nothing PROVIDES 'gobject-introspection' means you do not have the
gobject-introspection recipe, which is added as a dependency by the
g-i class. I do not recommend you try to backport it though: just
remove the class inherit from gstreamer recipes.

Alex