* Changing the release cadence
@ 2019-06-05 15:57 Sage Weil
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906051556500.987-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2019-06-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dev-a8pt6IJUokc

Hi everyone,

Since luminous, we have had the follow release cadence and policy:
 - release every 9 months
 - maintain backports for the last two releases
 - enable upgrades to move either 1 or 2 releases heads
   (e.g., luminous -> mimic or nautilus; mimic -> nautilus or octopus; ...)

This has mostly worked out well, except that the mimic release received
less attention that we wanted due to the fact that multiple downstream
Ceph products (from Red Has and SUSE) decided to based their next release
on nautilus.  Even though upstream every release is an "LTS" release, as a
practical matter mimic got less attention than luminous or nautilus.

We've had several requests/proposals to shift to a 12 month cadence. This
has several advantages:

 - Stable/conservative clusters only have to be upgraded every 2 years
   (instead of every 18 months)
 - Yearly releases are more likely to intersect with downstream
   distribution release (e.g., Debian).  In the past there have been
   problems where the Ceph releases included in consecutive releases of a
   distro weren't easily upgradeable.
 - Vendors that make downstream Ceph distributions/products tend to
   release yearly.  Aligning with those vendors means they are more likely
   to productize *every* Ceph release.  This will help make every Ceph
   release an "LTS" release (not just in name but also in terms of
   maintenance attention).

So far the balance of opinion seems to favor a shift to a 12 month
cycle[1], especially among developers, so it seems pretty likely we'll
make that shift.  (If you do have strong concerns about such a move, now
is the time to raise them.)

That brings us to an important decision: what time of year should we
release?  Once we pick the timing, we'll be releasing at that time *every
year* for each release (barring another schedule shift, which we want to
avoid), so let's choose carefully!

A few options:

 - November: If we release Octopus 9 months from the Nautilus release
   (planned for Feb, released in Mar) then we'd target this November.  We
   could shift to a 12 months candence after that.
 - February: That's 12 months from the Nautilus target.
 - March: That's 12 months from when Nautilus was *actually* released.

November is nice in the sense that we'd wrap things up before the
holidays.  It's less good in that users may not be inclined to install the
new release when many developers will be less available in December.

February kind of sucked in that the scramble to get the last few things
done happened during the holidays.  OTOH, we should be doing what we can
to avoid such scrambles, so that might not be something we should factor
in.  March may be a bit more balanced, with a solid 3 months before when
people are productive, and 3 months after before they disappear on holiday
to address any post-release issues.

People tend to be somewhat less available over the summer months due to
holidays etc, so an early or late summer release might also be less than
ideal.

Thoughts?  If we can narrow it down to a few options maybe we could do a
poll to gauge user preferences.

Thanks!
sage

[1] https://twitter.com/larsmb/status/1130010208971952129

* Re: Changing the release cadence
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906051556500.987-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-05 17:37   ` Daniel Baumann
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Baumann @ 2019-06-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On 6/5/19 5:57 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> So far the balance of opinion seems to favor a shift to a 12 month
> cycle [...] it seems pretty likely we'll make that shift.

thanks, much appreciated (from an cluster operating point of view).

> Thoughts?

GNOME and a few others are doing April and October releases which seems
balanced and to be good timing for most people; personally I prefer
spring rather than autum for upgrades, hence.. would suggest April.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: Changing the release cadence
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906051556500.987-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-05 19:16   ` Alexandre DERUMIER
       [not found]     ` <12252276.433203.1559762173198.JavaMail.zimbra-U/x3PoR4x10AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexandre DERUMIER @ 2019-06-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

Hi,

>>- November: If we release Octopus 9 months from the Nautilus release
>>(planned for Feb, released in Mar) then we'd target this November. We
>>could shift to a 12 months candence after that.

For the 2 last debian releases, the freeze was around january-february,
november seem to be a good time for ceph release.

@ 2019-06-05 20:27       ` Chris Taylor
From: Chris Taylor @ 2019-06-05 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre DERUMIER; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

It seems like since the change to the 9 months cadence it has been bumpy
for the Debian based installs. Changing to a 12 month cadence sounds
like a good idea. Perhaps some Debian maintainers can suggest a good
month for them to get the packages in time for their release cycle.

@ 2019-06-06  0:31   ` Linh Vu
       [not found]     ` <ME1PR01MB070645B4EDCB63853433D02A81170-2wSXk0H63TwVj78W2k5HnsNU+h3Mz0HLvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Linh Vu @ 2019-06-06  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ,
	ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

I think 12 months cycle is much better from the cluster operations perspective. I also like March as a release month as well.
________________________________

@ 2019-06-06  7:26       ` Xiaoxi Chen
       [not found]         ` <CAEYCsVLdWh_hGQN+LoTrX1=BOVJZ-ras+PTGgRJ0n1Z_3-P3dw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Xiaoxi Chen @ 2019-06-06  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linh Vu
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ,
	dev-a8pt6IJUokc

We go with upstream release and mostly Nautilus now, probably the most
aggressive ones among serious production user (i.e tens of PB+ ),

I will vote for November for several reasons:

 1.   Q4 is holiday season and usually production rollout was blocked
, especially storage related change, which usually give team more time
to prepare/ testing/ LnP the new releases, as well as catch up with
new features.

 2.  Q4/Q1 is usually the planning season,  having the upstream
released and testing to know the readiness of new feature, will
greatly helps when planning the feature/offering of next year.

 3.  Users have whole year to migrate their
provision/monitoring/deployment/remediation system to new version, and
have enough time to fix and stable the surrounding system before next
holiday season.

Release in Feb or March will make the Q4 just in the middle of the
cycle, and lot of changes will land at last minutes(month),   in which
case, few things can be test and forecasted based on the state-of-art
in Q4.

-Xiaoxi

Linh Vu <vul@unimelb.edu.au> 于2019年6月6日周四 上午8:32写道:

@ 2019-06-06  7:37           ` Daniel Baumann
From: Daniel Baumann @ 2019-06-06  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On 6/6/19 9:26 AM, Xiaoxi Chen wrote:
> I will vote for November for several reasons:

[...]

as an academic institution we're aligned by August to July (school year)
instead of the January to December (calendar year), so all your reasons
(thanks!) are valid for us.. just shifted by 6 months, hence Q1 is ideal
for us.

however, given that academic institutions are the minority, I'm
convinced now that November is the better choice for everyone.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: Changing the release cadence
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906051556500.987-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-17 16:21   ` Sage Weil
       [not found]     ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906171621000.20504-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2019-06-17 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Sage Weil wrote:
> That brings us to an important decision: what time of year should we
> release?  Once we pick the timing, we'll be releasing at that time *every
> year* for each release (barring another schedule shift, which we want to
> avoid), so let's choose carefully!

I've put up a twitter poll:

	https://twitter.com/liewegas/status/1140655233430970369

Thanks!
sage

@ 2019-06-17 20:08       ` David Turner
       [not found]         ` <CAN-Gep+9bxadHMTFQgUFUt_q9Jmfpy3MPU5UTTRNY1jueu7n9w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: David Turner @ 2019-06-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

This was a little long to respond with on Twitter, so I thought I'd share
my thoughts here. I love the idea of a 12 month cadence. I like October
because admins aren't upgrading production within the first few months of a
new release. It gives it plenty of time to be stable for the OS distros as
well as giving admins something low-key to work on over the holidays with
testing the new releases in stage/QA.

@ 2019-06-18  5:39           ` Daniel Baumann
From: Daniel Baumann @ 2019-06-18  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

Hi,

I didn't bother to create a twitter account just to be able to
participate in the poll.. so.. please count me in for October.

Regards,
Daniel

@ 2019-06-25 14:31           ` Alfredo Deza
       [not found]             ` <CAC-Np1zcniBxm84SEGhzYfu55t+fckg1d-Dq0xpab62+ON4K5w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
       [not found]             ` <CAE6AcseMEfRjRtA0iUPMwsQPP+ebEqDDHYeWUpXWGeWTggnKRw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2019-06-25 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Turner; +Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM David Turner <drakonstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This was a little long to respond with on Twitter, so I thought I'd share my thoughts here. I love the idea of a 12 month cadence. I like October because admins aren't upgrading production within the first few months of a new release. It gives it plenty of time to be stable for the OS distros as well as giving admins something low-key to work on over the holidays with testing the new releases in stage/QA.

October sounds ideal, but in reality, we haven't been able to release
right on time as long as I can remember. Realistically, if we set
October, we are probably going to get into November/December.

For example, Nautilus was set to release in February and we got it out
late in late March (Almost April)

Would love to see more of a discussion around solving the problem of
releasing when we say we are going to - so that we can then choose
what the cadence is.

@ 2019-06-26 12:55               ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2019-06-26 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza; +Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM David Turner <drakonstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > This was a little long to respond with on Twitter, so I thought I'd share my thoughts here. I love the idea of a 12 month cadence. I like October because admins aren't upgrading production within the first few months of a new release. It gives it plenty of time to be stable for the OS distros as well as giving admins something low-key to work on over the holidays with testing the new releases in stage/QA.
>
> October sounds ideal, but in reality, we haven't been able to release
> right on time as long as I can remember. Realistically, if we set
> October, we are probably going to get into November/December.
>
> For example, Nautilus was set to release in February and we got it out
> late in late March (Almost April)
>
> Would love to see more of a discussion around solving the problem of
> releasing when we say we are going to - so that we can then choose
> what the cadence is.

I think the "on time" part is solveable.  We should just use the amount
of time between take the previous release's freeze date and the
target release date and go with that.  It is a bit fuzzy because I left it
up to the leads how they handle the freeze, but I think mid-Januaray is
about right (in reality we waiting longer than that for lots of RADOS
stuff).  v14.2.0 was Mar 18, so ~2 months.

The cadence is really separate from that, though: even if every release
were 2 full months late, if we start with the same target it's still a 1
year cycle.

sage

* Re: Changing the release cadence
       [not found]               ` <CAE6AcseMEfRjRtA0iUPMwsQPP+ebEqDDHYeWUpXWGeWTggnKRw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-26 12:57                 ` Sage Weil
       [not found]                   ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906261255530.17148-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2019-06-26 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfonso Martinez Hidalgo; +Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019, Alfonso Martinez Hidalgo wrote:
> I think March is a good idea.

Spring had a slight edge over fall in the twitter poll (for whatever
that's worth).  I see the appeal for fall when it comes to down time for
retailers, but as a practical matter for Octopus specifically, a target of
say October means freezing in August, which means we only have 2
more months of development time.  I'm worried that will turn Octopus
in another weak (aka lightly adopted) release.

March would mean freezing in January again, which would give us July to
Dec... 6 more months.

sage

@ 2019-06-26 14:45                     ` Sage Weil
       [not found]                       ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906261437280.17148-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2019-06-26 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

Hi everyone,

We talked a bit about this during the CLT meeting this morning.  How about
the following proposal:

- Target release date of Mar 1 each year.
- Target freeze in Dec.  That will allow us to use the holidays to do a
  lot of testing when the lab infrastructure tends to be somewhat idle.

If we get an early build out at the point of the freeze (or even earlier),
perhaps this capture some of the time that the retailers have during their
lockdown to identify structural issues with release.  It is probably
better to do more of this testing at this point in the cycle so that we
have time to properly fix any big issues (like performance or scaling
regressions).  It is of course a challenge to motivate testing on
something that is too far from the final a release, but we can try.

This avoids an abbreviated octopus cycle, and avoids placing August (which
also often has people out for vacations) right in the middle of the
lead-up to the freeze.

Thoughts?
sage

@ 2019-06-26 14:56                         ` Bob Farrell
From: Bob Farrell @ 2019-06-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

March seems sensible to me for the reasons you stated. If a release gets
delayed, I'd prefer it to be on the spring side of Christmas (again for the
reasons already mentioned).

That aside, I'm now very impatient to install Octopus on my 8-node cluster.
: )

@ 2019-06-26 15:21                         ` Lars Marowsky-Bree
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree @ 2019-06-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, dev-a8pt6IJUokc

On 2019-06-26T14:45:31, Sage Weil <sweil-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Hi Sage,

I think that makes sense. I'd have preferred the Oct/Nov target, but
that'd have made Octopus quite short.

Unsure whether freezing in December with a release in March is too long
though. But given how much people scramble, setting that as a goal
probably will help with stabilization.

I'm also hoping that one day, we can move towards a more agile
continuously integration model (like the Linux kernel does) instead of
massive yearly forklifts. But hey, that's just me ;-)

Regards,
    Lars

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)

* Re: Changing the release cadence
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1906051556500.987-qHenpvqtifaMSRpgCs4c+g@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-07-22  3:03   ` Brent Kennedy
From: Brent Kennedy @ 2019-07-22  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sage Weil',
	ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dev-a8pt6IJUokc

12 months sounds good to me, I like the idea of march as well since we plan
on doing upgrades in June/July each year.  Gives it time to be discussed and
marinate before we decide to upgrade.

-Brent