* Additional interface to kernel timekeeping for leapsecond clarity
@ 2020-02-04 22:31 Watson Ladd
From: Watson Ladd @ 2020-02-04 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dear all,

I'm writing because I'm interested in adding a system call to linux
and other free operating systems that will return the current time in
a structure that will include a flag for whether or not there is a
leap second when the result is taken. While adjtimex exists, it's a
very heavy interface to this functionality. This is necessary for
computing the Modified Julian Day+microseconds since midnight in
userspace, something of interest for roughtime.

ntp_gettimex doesn't quite do this either: the TAI offset doesn't let
one compute the Modified Julian day without an almanac. To the best of
my knowledge this doesn't exist yet, but I would be happy to be proven
wrong.

Adding this would make it possible to adapt userspace to the harsh
realities of UTC.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-04 22:31 UTC | newest]