* [Printing-architecture] Hosting of OpenPrinting
@ 2016-07-12 16:30 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2016-07-12 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing; +Cc: Matthew Morikawa

Hi,

for the time being until I will (hopefully) come around with the call
next week, I will give you all something to think about and a call for help.

It is about the web hosting of OpenPrinting. You now that we are hosted
at the Linux Foundation currently. And with the Linux Foundation there
are problems, in the form that I do not get any help by the system
admins any more. The front page (www.openprinting.org) is messed up and
I cannot change it any more. Therefore I asked the help desk already
several times and never got an answer.

So for me it seems that the best is to move.

For the BZR repositories I am thinking about converting to GIT and use
GIThub. CUPS and many other projects are already there. I would also
handle the bug tracking there.

What does not work on GIThub (or does it already?) is to have a general
LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python/Perl) server to run the database
and also the documentation, mailing lists, announcements, ... I think I
would drop the forums then and go back to mailing lists.

Perhaps the PWG could help me?

A problem would be the domain www.openprinting.org, to get it moved from
the Linux Foundation to the new place. Or should we perhaps rename the
project as a last mean.

I appreciate any kind of help.

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Hosting of OpenPrinting
@ 2016-07-12 23:46 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2016-07-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: printing-architecture, Matthew Morikawa

Till,

> On Jul 12, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the BZR repositories I am thinking about converting to GIT and use GIThub. CUPS and many other projects are already there. I would also handle the bug tracking there.
>
> What does not work on GIThub (or does it already?) is to have a general LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python/Perl) server to run the database and also the documentation, mailing lists, announcements, ... I think I would drop the forums then and go back to mailing lists.

Github does not provide full support for this sort of thing, although IIRC SourceForge.net *does* (along with mailing lists, issue tracker, etc.)

> Perhaps the PWG could help me?

There would definitely be legal issues to consider.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Hosting of OpenPrinting
@ 2016-10-14 20:18 ` Brian Norris
From: Brian Norris @ 2016-10-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Open Printing, Matthew Morikawa

Hi Till,

I'm a little late on this, I suppose:

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Till Kamppeter
<till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is about the web hosting of OpenPrinting. You now that we are hosted at
> the Linux Foundation currently. And with the Linux Foundation there are
> problems, in the form that I do not get any help by the system admins any
> more. The front page (www.openprinting.org) is messed up and I cannot change
> it any more. Therefore I asked the help desk already several times and never
> got an answer.

I think I just reported some issues with the front page to you by
email. Now it seems those are probably issues you already knew about,
and can't resolve :(

> For the BZR repositories I am thinking about converting to GIT and use
> GIThub. CUPS and many other projects are already there. I would also handle
> the bug tracking there.

I'd love if this happens. I've tried working with bzr (and I've sent
you several patches), but git is *so* much easier for me to work with.
This also seems like something that could happen right now (except for
the pesky problem of documentation you can't update, if the
openprinting website is really that hostile to you).

Any progress on moving the repos? I think that alone would improve
others' ability to contribute (i.e., help you out).

Brian