* Re: Allocating dedicated RAM to host that guest can not use
@ 2014-11-27 11:29 ` Wanpeng Li
From: Wanpeng Li @ 2014-11-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mad Engineer; +Cc: kvm, Paolo Bonzini, linux-kernel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 05:12:52PM +0530, mad Engineer wrote:
>Hi,
>    Is there any way to set some RAM dedicated to host that guest can
>not access?
>Similar to setting RAM to Dom0 in Xen.
>
>I am over committing RAM for the instances but don't want host to swap.
>
>i understand that virtual machines are process,but can we achieve this

How about limit the memory of which guest can access through memory cgroup?

Regards,
Wanpeng Li

@ 2014-11-27 11:42 mad Engineer
From: mad Engineer @ 2014-11-27 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

@ 2014-11-27 12:09   ` mad Engineer
From: mad Engineer @ 2014-11-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanpeng Li; +Cc: kvm, Paolo Bonzini, linux-kernel

never tried that.
can we do that transparently ie with out setting cgroups for each
virtul machines?.
A global group such that all combined virtual machines RAM utilization
to be with in a specific value ?

@ 2014-11-27 12:16     ` mad Engineer
From: mad Engineer @ 2014-11-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanpeng Li; +Cc: kvm, Paolo Bonzini, linux-kernel

a random thought can we set qemu user/group rss to a particular hard
limit in limits.conf

Can this work?

@ 2014-12-02 13:30       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2014-12-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mad Engineer, Wanpeng Li; +Cc: kvm, linux-kernel

On 27/11/2014 13:16, mad Engineer wrote:
> a random thought can we set qemu user/group rss to a particular hard
> limit in limits.conf

Those apply per process, not per user/group.

Paolo