* Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-12 10:01 M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found] ` <CANA9Uk5YZYbq5EN40PX5vo55wPzjYLU+Oy9m8Hm-DRG-f1zxFw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-12 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Hello - I have a couple of questions on ceph cluster stability, even
we follow all recommendations as below:
- Having separate replication n/w and data n/w
- RACK is the failure domain
- Using SSDs for journals (1:4ratio)

Q1 - If one OSD down, cluster IO down drastically and customer Apps impacted.
Q2 - what is stability ratio, like with above, is ceph cluster
workable condition, if one osd down or one node down,etc.

Thanks
Swami

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
       [not found] ` <CANA9Uk5YZYbq5EN40PX5vo55wPzjYLU+Oy9m8Hm-DRG-f1zxFw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-19 17:26   ` David Turner
From: David Turner @ 2019-02-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack
powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly
take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any
problems with client IO.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> Hello - I have a couple of questions on ceph cluster stability, even
> we follow all recommendations as below:
> - Having separate replication n/w and data n/w
> - RACK is the failure domain
> - Using SSDs for journals (1:4ratio)
>
> Q1 - If one OSD down, cluster IO down drastically and customer Apps
> impacted.
> Q2 - what is stability ratio, like with above, is ceph cluster
> workable condition, if one osd down or one node down,etc.
>
> Thanks
> Swami

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-20 14:27     ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]       ` <CANA9Uk5_FfQqEbZ7O3xp4PPy=cSYUwSf-xWVM6+5WnQO6YkqmQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Turner; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM David Turner <drakonstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any problems with client IO.
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello - I have a couple of questions on ceph cluster stability, even
>> we follow all recommendations as below:
>> - Having separate replication n/w and data n/w
>> - RACK is the failure domain
>> - Using SSDs for journals (1:4ratio)
>>
>> Q1 - If one OSD down, cluster IO down drastically and customer Apps impacted.
>> Q2 - what is stability ratio, like with above, is ceph cluster
>> workable condition, if one osd down or one node down,etc.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Swami

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
       [not found]       ` <CANA9Uk5_FfQqEbZ7O3xp4PPy=cSYUwSf-xWVM6+5WnQO6YkqmQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-20 15:47         ` Darius Kasparavičius
       [not found]           ` <CANrNMwUVupc80VWW_OKbYnH1JzB9fKRJFB7q7wVgJH9MY8fB6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Darius Kasparavičius @ 2019-02-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Hello,

Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
ms_nocrc
ms_crc_data
ms_crc_header

And setting all your debug messages to 0.
If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
osd recovery max active
osd max backfills

You can also lower your file store threads.
filestore op threads

If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
compared to filestore + leveldb .

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
<swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..
>
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM David Turner <drakonstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any problems with client IO.
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello - I have a couple of questions on ceph cluster stability, even
> >> we follow all recommendations as below:
> >> - Having separate replication n/w and data n/w
> >> - RACK is the failure domain
> >> - Using SSDs for journals (1:4ratio)
> >>
> >> Q1 - If one OSD down, cluster IO down drastically and customer Apps impacted.
> >> Q2 - what is stability ratio, like with above, is ceph cluster
> >> workable condition, if one osd down or one node down,etc.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Swami

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
       [not found]           ` <CANrNMwUVupc80VWW_OKbYnH1JzB9fKRJFB7q7wVgJH9MY8fB6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-20 15:55             ` Alexandru Cucu
       [not found]               ` <CAHrLTFnMc3Jep4P8WwdR-8J+qNeWhXHtgba4E88V=NBx99YJqw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alexandru Cucu @ 2019-02-20 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darius Kasparavičius; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Hi,

I would decrese max active recovery processes per osd and increase
recovery sleep.
    osd recovery max active = 1 (default is 3)
    osd recovery sleep = 1 (default is 0 or 0.1)

osd max backfills defaults to 1 so that should be OK if he's using the
default :D

Disabling scrubbing during recovery should also help:
    osd scrub during recovery = false

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:47 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
> had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
> usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
> try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
> If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
> ms_nocrc
> ms_crc_data
> ms_crc_header
>
> And setting all your debug messages to 0.
> If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
> osd recovery max active
> osd max backfills
>
> You can also lower your file store threads.
> filestore op threads
>

> If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
> lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
> it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
> compared to filestore + leveldb .
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> > recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> > face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any problems with client IO.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 10:23                 ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Cucu; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Yep...these are setting already in place. And also followed all
recommendations to get performance, but still impacts with osd
down..even we have 2000+ osd.
And using 3 pools with diff. HW nodes for each pool. One pool's OSD
down, also impacts other pools performance...
which not expected with Ceph (here are using the separate NICs for
data and replication)..

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:25 PM Alexandru Cucu <me@alexcucu.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would decrese max active recovery processes per osd and increase
> recovery sleep.
>     osd recovery max active = 1 (default is 3)
>     osd recovery sleep = 1 (default is 0 or 0.1)
>
> osd max backfills defaults to 1 so that should be OK if he's using the
> default :D
>
> Disabling scrubbing during recovery should also help:
>     osd scrub during recovery = false
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:47 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
> > had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
> > usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
> > try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
> > If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
> > ms_nocrc
> > ms_crc_data
> > ms_crc_header
> >
> > And setting all your debug messages to 0.
> > If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
> > osd recovery max active
> > osd max backfills
> >
> > You can also lower your file store threads.
> > filestore op threads
> >

> > If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
> > lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
> > it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
> > compared to filestore + leveldb .
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> > <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> > > recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> > > face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
       [not found]           ` <CANrNMwUVupc80VWW_OKbYnH1JzB9fKRJFB7q7wVgJH9MY8fB6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-22 10:58             ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]               ` <CANA9Uk5+D1GU55Goc0+TEjfYhtS8wQ0XRC-3QrSqBpEXPR9Z-g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darius Kasparavičius; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

No seen the CPU limitation because we are using the 4 cores per osd daemon.
But still using "ms_crc_data = true and ms_crc_header = true". Will
disable these and try the performance.

And using the filestore + leveldB only. filestore_op_threads = 2.

Rest of recovery and backfill settings done minimum already.

Thanks
Swami

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
> had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
> usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
> try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
> If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
> ms_nocrc
> ms_crc_data
> ms_crc_header
>
> And setting all your debug messages to 0.
> If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
> osd recovery max active
> osd max backfills
>
> You can also lower your file store threads.
> filestore op threads
>

> If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
> lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
> it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
> compared to filestore + leveldb .
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> > recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> > face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any problems with client IO.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
       [not found]           ` <CANrNMwUVupc80VWW_OKbYnH1JzB9fKRJFB7q7wVgJH9MY8fB6w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-22 11:01             ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]               ` <CANA9Uk5p7so6BYrR+BMhN-qQv3BFnqJwW7cpNA-Xpqtu3mQFhg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darius Kasparavičius; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Debug setting defaults are using..like 1/5 and 0/5 for almost..
Shall I try with 0 for all debug settings?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
> had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
> usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
> try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
> If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
> ms_nocrc
> ms_crc_data
> ms_crc_header
>
> And setting all your debug messages to 0.
> If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
> osd recovery max active
> osd max backfills
>
> You can also lower your file store threads.
> filestore op threads
>

> If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
> lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
> it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
> compared to filestore + leveldb .
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> > recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> > face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > With a RACK failure domain, you should be able to have an entire rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without seeing any problems with client IO.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:10                 ` David Turner
       [not found]                   ` <CAN-GepJDYqs931SwNvevPPYLUnAcqWPc3oQUDLDeBVFVrWHZEw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: David Turner @ 2019-02-22 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

What about the system stats on your mons during recovery? If they are
having a hard time keeping up with requests during a recovery, I could see
that impacting client io. What disks are they running on? CPU? Etc.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> Debug setting defaults are using..like 1/5 and 0/5 for almost..
> Shall I try with 0 for all debug settings?
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
> > had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
> > usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
> > try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
> > If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
> > ms_nocrc
> > ms_crc_data
> > ms_crc_header
> >
> > And setting all your debug messages to 0.
> > If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
> > osd recovery max active
> > osd max backfills
> >
> > You can also lower your file store threads.
> > filestore op threads
> >

> > If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
> > lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
> > it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
> > compared to filestore + leveldb .
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 4:27 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> > <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thats expected from Ceph by design. But in our case, we are using all
> > > recommendation like rack failure domain, replication n/w,etc, still
> > > face client IO performance issues during one OSD down..

> rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I
> regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without
> seeing any problems with client IO.

> impacted.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:39                     ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]                       ` <CANA9Uk4_Ynn8+3BDWDiy5Pshv2u_cp90a=vGWwUxrJXS+Q-STQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Turner; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

ceph mons looks fine during the recovery.  Using  HDD with SSD
journals. with recommeded CPU and RAM numbers.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 4:40 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about the system stats on your mons during recovery? If they are having a hard time keeping up with requests during a recovery, I could see that impacting client io. What disks are they running on? CPU? Etc.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Debug setting defaults are using..like 1/5 and 0/5 for almost..
>> Shall I try with 0 for all debug settings?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:17 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >

>> > Check your CPU usage when you are doing those kind of operations. We
>> > had a similar issue where our CPU monitoring was reporting fine < 40%
>> > usage, but our load on the nodes was high mid 60-80. If it's possible
>> > try disabling ht and see the actual cpu usage.
>> > If you are hitting CPU limits you can try disabling crc on messages.
>> > ms_nocrc
>> > ms_crc_data
>> > ms_crc_header
>> >
>> > And setting all your debug messages to 0.
>> > If you haven't done you can also lower your recovery settings a little.
>> > osd recovery max active
>> > osd max backfills
>> >
>> > You can also lower your file store threads.
>> > filestore op threads
>> >

>> > If you can also switch to bluestore from filestore. This will also
>> > lower your CPU usage. I'm not sure that this is bluestore that does
>> > it, but I'm seeing lower cpu usage when moving to bluestore + rocksdb
>> > compared to filestore + leveldb .

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:43                         ` David Turner
       [not found]                           ` <CAN-Gep+wy9axKNL26RUpCKy3S2uTxzOrSXq+bf=+zhsrGxAvCQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: David Turner @ 2019-02-22 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Mon disks don't have journals, they're just a folder on a filesystem on a
disk.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:40 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> ceph mons looks fine during the recovery.  Using  HDD with SSD
> journals. with recommeded CPU and RAM numbers.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 4:40 PM David Turner <drakonstein-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > What about the system stats on your mons during recovery? If they are
> having a hard time keeping up with requests during a recovery, I could see
> that impacting client io. What disks are they running on? CPU? Etc.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:01 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Debug setting defaults are using..like 1/5 and 0/5 for almost..
> >> Shall I try with 0 for all debug settings?

> little.

> all

> rack powered down without noticing any major impact on the clients.  I
> regularly take down OSDs and nodes for maintenance and upgrades without
> seeing any problems with client IO.

> even

> Apps impacted.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:50                             ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]                               ` <CANA9Uk6rHoAtvAUGtW1VqZnXDz6EjaFOUfxmYUocChRe5mZwDw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Turner; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

ceph-mon disk with 500G with HDD (not journals/SSDs).  Yes, mon use
folder on FS on a disk

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mon disks don't have journals, they're just a folder on a filesystem on a disk.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:40 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ceph mons looks fine during the recovery.  Using  HDD with SSD
>> journals. with recommeded CPU and RAM numbers.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 4:40 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What about the system stats on your mons during recovery? If they are having a hard time keeping up with requests during a recovery, I could see that impacting client io. What disks are they running on? CPU? Etc.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:55                                 ` Darius Kasparavičius
       [not found]                                   ` <CANrNMwUuODV3Ju+TxosZE0hM9qwAU1Rk0efST6QmzmWXW+hXFA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Darius Kasparavičius @ 2019-02-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

If your using hdd for monitor servers. Check their load. It might be
the issue there.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
<swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:

> ceph-mon disk with 500G with HDD (not journals/SSDs).  Yes, mon use
> folder on FS on a disk
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mon disks don't have journals, they're just a folder on a filesystem on a disk.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, 6:40 AM M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> ceph mons looks fine during the recovery.  Using  HDD with SSD
> >> journals. with recommeded CPU and RAM numbers.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 11:59                 ` Janne Johansson
       [not found]                   ` <CAA6-MF9ki_eHY=ZHwreHJ1KpB1iFrJd-+k7CeaOtTdTMBmD=DA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Janne Johansson @ 2019-02-22 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Den fre 22 feb. 2019 kl 12:35 skrev M Ranga Swami Reddy <
swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:

> No seen the CPU limitation because we are using the 4 cores per osd daemon.
> But still using "ms_crc_data = true and ms_crc_header = true". Will
> disable these and try the performance.

I am a bit sceptical to crc being so heavy that it would impact a CPU made
after 1990..

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-22 12:14                                     ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]                                       ` <CANA9Uk6CFJnGXz-Bcwe7Cb9JMBFGw5rwd3xgFvyo9teCWoUcCQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darius Kasparavičius; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

But ceph recommendation is to use VM (not even the  HW node
recommended). will try to change the mon disk as SSD and HW node.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:

> If your using hdd for monitor servers. Check their load. It might be
> the issue there.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
> <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ceph-mon disk with 500G with HDD (not journals/SSDs).  Yes, mon use
> > folder on FS on a disk
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM David Turner <drakonstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Mon disks don't have journals, they're just a folder on a filesystem on a disk.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janne Johansson; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

Opps...is this really impact...will righ-away change this and test it.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:29 PM Janne Johansson <icepic.dz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Den fre 22 feb. 2019 kl 12:35 skrev M Ranga Swami Reddy <swamireddy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
>>
>> No seen the CPU limitation because we are using the 4 cores per osd daemon.
>> But still using "ms_crc_data = true and ms_crc_header = true". Will
>> disable these and try the performance.
>

> I am a bit sceptical to crc being so heavy that it would impact a CPU made after 1990..
>
> --
> May the most significant bit of your life be positive.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-23  1:01                                         ` Anthony D'Atri
       [not found]                                           ` <7B24D99C-9F31-401F-9455-8F7B0E013160-lmG3kWHAawoohuQDye/k0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anthony D'Atri @ 2019-02-23  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M Ranga Swami Reddy; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

? Did we start recommending that production mons run on a VM?  I'd be very hesitant to do that, though probably some folks do.

I can say for sure that in the past (Firefly) I experienced outages related to mons running on HDDs.  That was a cluster of 450 HDD OSDs with colo journals and hundreds of RBD clients.  Something obscure about running out of "global IDs" and not being able to create new ones fast enough.  We had to work around with a combo of lease settings on the mons and clients, though with Hammer and later I would not expect that exact situation to arise.  Still it left me paranoid about mon DBs and HDDs.

-- aad

> But ceph recommendation is to use VM (not even the  HW node
> recommended). will try to change the mon disk as SSD and HW node.
>
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If your using hdd for monitor servers. Check their load. It might be
>> the issue there.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 1:50 PM M Ranga Swami Reddy
>> <swamireddy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ceph-mon disk with 500G with HDD (not journals/SSDs).  Yes, mon use
>>> folder on FS on a disk

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-25  9:33                                             ` M Ranga Swami Reddy
       [not found]                                               ` <CANA9Uk7=gbKEpzrN7XAe71FD5M7Y+MgUi=FM1qNDc0Y_s6E6gA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: M Ranga Swami Reddy @ 2019-02-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony D'Atri; +Cc: ceph-users, ceph-devel

We have taken care all HW recommendations, but missing that ceph mons
are VMs with good configuration (4 core, 64G RAM + 500G disk)...
Is this ceph-mon configuration might cause issues?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 6:31 AM Anthony D'Atri <aad@dreamsnake.net> wrote:

> ? Did we start recommending that production mons run on a VM?  I'd be very hesitant to do that, though probably some folks do.
>
> I can say for sure that in the past (Firefly) I experienced outages related to mons running on HDDs.  That was a cluster of 450 HDD OSDs with colo journals and hundreds of RBD clients.  Something obscure about running out of "global IDs" and not being able to create new ones fast enough.  We had to work around with a combo of lease settings on the mons and clients, though with Hammer and later I would not expect that exact situation to arise.  Still it left me paranoid about mon DBs and HDDs.
>
> -- aad
>

> > But ceph recommendation is to use VM (not even the  HW node
> > recommended). will try to change the mon disk as SSD and HW node.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM Darius Kasparavičius <daznis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If your using hdd for monitor servers. Check their load. It might be
> >> the issue there.

* Re: Ceph cluster stability
@ 2019-02-25 11:23                                                 ` Darius Kasparavičius
From: Darius Kasparavičius @ 2019-02-25 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)