From: Hyunchul Lee <hyc.lee@gmail.com>
To: Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>
Cc: CIFS <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Ksmbd and max credits
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:58:11 +0900	[thread overview]

2021년 10월 14일 (목) 오후 2:03, Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>님이 작성:

> Thinking about the patch "ksmbd: improve credits management"
> (https://github.com/smfrench/smb3-kernel/commit/bf8acc9e10e21c28452dfa067a7d31e6067104b1)
>
> Hyunchul noted in the description:
> "Windows server 2016 or later grant up to 8192 credits to clients at once."
>
> I noticed that SMB2_MAX_CREDITS is defined as 8192 in
> fs/ksmbd/smb2pdu.h.  Isn't this a little low, although I see Samba
> default to it as well.
>
> Was thinking that that is roughly equivalent to 64 8MB writes, or 128
> 4MB writes.   Although Samba defaults to 8192 max credits as well, for
> Samba it is configurable (via "smb2 max credits" in smb.conf).
> Should it be configurable?  What do more current Windows servers
> default to as the max?

According to MS-SMB2, the maximum credit limit is configurable, but
the default maximum credit limit in Windows Server 2022 is also 8192.

It looks good if it can be configurable, but I can't find out the possible range
of values.
And there is a description, "You should never need to set this parameter"
about "smb2 max credits in smb.conf" in the Samba manual.

> --
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Hyunchul