* bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-27 17:56 Shay Gover
From: Shay Gover @ 2016-10-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bcache

Hi,

I saw this:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8879681/

So does bcache support suspend?

Thanks,

Shay Gover

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-27 19:45 ` Killian De Volder
From: Killian De Volder @ 2016-10-27 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Gover, linux-bcache

Bcache "supports" suspend.
However, like all file-systems, you cannot mount it while you are resuming.
And bcache is basically automount.

I use bcache with suspend, but I have taken special precautions to ensure bcache is never active
before attempting a resume. To do this I wrote my own initramfs.
If you are using a prebuild initramfs, ask your provider if it supports this.

For more info:
https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/FAQ/ "Can I use bcache with suspend/resume?"

Killian De Volder

On 27-10-16 19:56, Shay Gover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw this:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8879681/
>
> So does bcache support suspend?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shay Gover

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-27 19:55   ` Shay Gover
From: Shay Gover @ 2016-10-27 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Killian De Volder; +Cc: linux-bcache

Define provider.

I want to use it for my personal PC. I'm using arch. What exacly do I
need to do? disable cache before suspend?

Thanks

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Killian De Volder
<killian.de.volder@megasoft.be> wrote:
> Bcache "supports" suspend.
> However, like all file-systems, you cannot mount it while you are resuming.
> And bcache is basically automount.
>
> I use bcache with suspend, but I have taken special precautions to ensure bcache is never active
> before attempting a resume. To do this I wrote my own initramfs.
> If you are using a prebuild initramfs, ask your provider if it supports this.
>
> For more info:
> https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/FAQ/ "Can I use bcache with suspend/resume?"
>
> Killian De Volder
>

> On 27-10-16 19:56, Shay Gover wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw this:
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8879681/
>>
>> So does bcache support suspend?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Shay Gover
>> --

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-27 22:12     ` Killian De Volder
From: Killian De Volder @ 2016-10-27 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Gover; +Cc: linux-bcache

What initramfs are you using ?

If you want a simple answer:
- Use a kernel without bcache build in.
- Do not modprobe bcache before resume.

Killian De Volder

On 27-10-16 21:55, Shay Gover wrote:
> Define provider.
>
> I want to use it for my personal PC. I'm using arch. What exacly do I
> need to do? disable cache before suspend?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Killian De Volder
> <killian.de.volder@megasoft.be> wrote:
>> Bcache "supports" suspend.
>> However, like all file-systems, you cannot mount it while you are resuming.
>> And bcache is basically automount.
>>
>> I use bcache with suspend, but I have taken special precautions to ensure bcache is never active
>> before attempting a resume. To do this I wrote my own initramfs.
>> If you are using a prebuild initramfs, ask your provider if it supports this.
>>
>> For more info:
>> https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/FAQ/ "Can I use bcache with suspend/resume?"
>>
>> Killian De Volder
>>

>> On 27-10-16 19:56, Shay Gover wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw this:
>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8879681/
>>>
>>> So does bcache support suspend?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Shay Gover
>>> --

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-28 10:02       ` Shay Gover
From: Shay Gover @ 2016-10-28 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Killian De Volder; +Cc: linux-bcache

I have no Idea what you just said. :(

I'm using the one provided by arch.

As far as I know, initramfs is relevant only if I intend to use bcache
for my root partition. I don't. I'm going to use it for my /home
partition. Does this change something?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Killian De Volder
<killian.de.volder@megasoft.be> wrote:
> What initramfs are you using ?
>
> If you want a simple answer:
> - Use a kernel without bcache build in.
> - Do not modprobe bcache before resume.
>
> Killian De Volder
>

> On 27-10-16 21:55, Shay Gover wrote:
>> Define provider.
>>
>> I want to use it for my personal PC. I'm using arch. What exacly do I
>> need to do? disable cache before suspend?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Killian De Volder
>> <killian.de.volder@megasoft.be> wrote:
>>> Bcache "supports" suspend.
>>> However, like all file-systems, you cannot mount it while you are resuming.
>>> And bcache is basically automount.
>>>
>>> I use bcache with suspend, but I have taken special precautions to ensure bcache is never active
>>> before attempting a resume. To do this I wrote my own initramfs.
>>> If you are using a prebuild initramfs, ask your provider if it supports this.
>>>
>>> For more info:
>>> https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/FAQ/ "Can I use bcache with suspend/resume?"
>>>
>>> Killian De Volder

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-28 11:26         ` Killian De Volder
From: Killian De Volder @ 2016-10-28 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shay Gover; +Cc: linux-bcache

Sorry,

That doesn't change a thing.
Did a quick search on the internet, can't find in 3 mins what initramfs your distro uses (per default).
(My pc is slow atm ;)

Regards,
Killian De Volder

On 28-10-16 12:02, Shay Gover wrote:
> I have no Idea what you just said. :(
>
> I'm using the one provided by arch.
>
> As far as I know, initramfs is relevant only if I intend to use bcache
> for my root partition. I don't. I'm going to use it for my /home
> partition. Does this change something?
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Killian De Volder
> <killian.de.volder@megasoft.be> wrote:
>> What initramfs are you using ?
>>
>> If you want a simple answer:
>> - Use a kernel without bcache build in.
>> - Do not modprobe bcache before resume.
>>
>> Killian De Volder
>>

>> On 27-10-16 21:55, Shay Gover wrote:
>>> Define provider.
>>>
>>> I want to use it for my personal PC. I'm using arch. What exacly do I
>>> need to do? disable cache before suspend?
>>>
>>> Thanks

* Re: bcache and suspend
@ 2016-10-28 11:27           ` Shay Gover
From: Shay Gover @ 2016-10-28 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Killian De Volder; +Cc: linux-bcache

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Killian De Volder