* New Longterm Kernel before 6.1 Rust?
@ 2022-10-03 13:35 Carl Dasantas
From: Carl Dasantas @ 2022-10-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if a new longterm kernel will be made prior to 6.1
being released with Rust support added? As the kernel.org page
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html states "Longterm kernels
are picked based on various factors -- major new features...". In my
opinion, adding Rust support is a major new feature. Of course it goes
on to say new longterm kernels are dependent on time, etc so I thought
I would inquire. No harm in that, right? I'm sure there are a lot of
others in our community that are hesitant as I am with Rust and want
to see where it goes. It would be nice to have a recent longterm
kernel so we can see how this Rust stuff plays out. Possibly from 6.0
or 5.19?

Thank you for your consideration,

Carl Desantas

* Re: New Longterm Kernel before 6.1 Rust?
@ 2022-10-05  5:05 ` Slade Watkins
From: Slade Watkins @ 2022-10-05  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Dasantas; +Cc: linux-kernel, stable

On 10/3/22 at 9:35 AM, Carl Dasantas wrote:

> I was wondering if a new longterm kernel will be made prior to 6.1
> being released with Rust support added? As the kernel.org page
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html states "Longterm kernels
> are picked based on various factors -- major new features...". In my
> opinion, adding Rust support is a major new feature. Of course it goes
> on to say new longterm kernels are dependent on time, etc so I thought
> I would inquire. No harm in that, right? I'm sure there are a lot of
> others in our community that are hesitant as I am with Rust and want
> to see where it goes. It would be nice to have a recent longterm
> kernel so we can see how this Rust stuff plays out. Possibly from 6.0
> or 5.19?

Not sure if a decision has been made yet. IMHO, it may be _a bit_ before
we see this year's longterm release picked.

+stable list

All the best,
-srw

* Re: New Longterm Kernel before 6.1 Rust?
@ 2022-10-05  6:06   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2022-10-05  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slade Watkins; +Cc: Carl Dasantas, linux-kernel, stable

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 01:05:08AM -0400, Slade Watkins wrote:
> On 10/3/22 at 9:35 AM, Carl Dasantas wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if a new longterm kernel will be made prior to 6.1
> > being released with Rust support added? As the kernel.org page
> > https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html states "Longterm kernels
> > are picked based on various factors -- major new features...". In my
> > opinion, adding Rust support is a major new feature. Of course it goes
> > on to say new longterm kernels are dependent on time, etc so I thought
> > I would inquire. No harm in that, right? I'm sure there are a lot of
> > others in our community that are hesitant as I am with Rust and want
> > to see where it goes. It would be nice to have a recent longterm
> > kernel so we can see how this Rust stuff plays out. Possibly from 6.0
> > or 5.19?
>
> Not sure if a decision has been made yet. IMHO, it may be _a bit_ before we
> see this year's longterm release picked.

I try to make the LTS release the "last kernel of the year" unless that
turns out to have major issues (i.e. people use the LTS release as an
excuse to throw a lot of crap into it, which has happened in the past,
and almost happened here again for 6.1).

Rust has nothing at all to do with this decision, sorry.  For 6.1 it is
only a "hello world" type thing, not like you would be using Rust for
anything else in the kernel at this point in time.

hope this helps,

greg k-h