* Yocto Project Status WW18`21
@ 2021-05-04 14:46 Stephen Jolley
From: Stephen Jolley @ 2021-05-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Current Dev Position: YP 3.4 M1

Next Deadline: 7th June 2021 YP 3.4 M1 build

Next Team Meetings:

*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday May 6th at 7:30am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09>
https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
*	Monthly Project Meeting Tuesday May 4th at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> )
*	Weekly Engineering Sync Tuesday May 11th at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09>
https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> )
*	Twitch -  See https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester

Key Status/Updates:

*	YP 3.2.4 is due to build this week which would be the final release
in the 3.2 series.
*	We are pleased to announce that our April 2022 release (potentially
3.5) will be the next LTS as per our original two year schedule. If there
are features desired in the next LTS, now is the time to get them submitted
and stabilized ready.
*	Patches are now flowing into master for 3.4 for M1 which is now
undergoing active development.
*	We upgraded to gcc 11, thanks Khem for a lot of work in getting up
ready to do that!
*	A couple of key fixes for multiconfig builds were added to bitbake.
*	A new uninative version was released to address issues found in
patchelf with some native binaries, particularly when gold was used as a
linker due to differing note section alignment values.
*	Intermittent autobuilder issues continue to occur and are now at a
record high level. You  can see the list of failures we're continuing to see
by searching for the "AB-INT" tag in bugzilla:
<https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT>
https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT

We are working to identify the load pattern on the infrastructure that seems
to trigger these.

Ways to contribute:

*	There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
*	There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 3.4. See:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_3.4_Unassigned_Enha
ncements.2FBugs>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_3.4_Unassigned_Enhan
cements.2FBugs
*	We'd welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the
list at:
<http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/mai
ntainers.inc>
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/main
tainers.inc and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core
mailing list. We will likely move a chunk of these to "Unassigned" soon to
help facilitate this.

YP 3.4 Milestone Dates:

*	YP 3.4 M1 build date 2021/06/07
*	YP 3.4 M1 Release date 2021/06/18
*	YP 3.4 M2 build date 2021/07/12
*	YP 3.4 M2 Release date 2021/07/23
*	YP 3.4 M3 build date 2021/08/23
*	YP 3.4 M3 Release date 2021/09/03
*	YP 3.4 M4 build date 2021/10/04
*	YP 3.4 M4 Release date 2021/10/29

Planned upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 3.2.4 build date 2021/05/3
*	YP 3.2.4 release date 2021/05/14
*	YP 3.3.1 build date 2021/05/17
*	YP 3.3.1 release date 2021/05/28
*	YP 3.1.8 build date 2021/05/24
*	YP 3.1.8 release date 2021/06/04
*	YP 3.1.9 build date 2021/06/21
*	YP 3.1.9 release date 2021/07/02
*	YP 3.3.2 build date 2021/07/19
*	YP 3.3.2 release date 2021/07/30
*	YP 3.1.10 build date 2021/07/26
*	YP 3.1.10 release date 2021/08/06
*	YP 3.1.11 build date 2021/09/13
*	YP 3.1.11 release date 2021/9/24

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2659 (last week 2645) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1322 (last week 1314)
*	Patches in the Pending State: 499 (38%) [last week 496 (38%)]

The Yocto Project's technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Program Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com>

* Re: [yocto] Yocto Project Status WW18`21
@ 2021-05-04 16:38 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2021-05-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Jolley; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, OE-core

On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 16:46, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are pleased to announce that our April 2022 release (potentially 3.5)
> will be the next LTS as per our original two year schedule. If there are
> features desired in the next LTS, now is the time to get them submitted and
> stabilized ready.

What will happen to the current LTS at that point? Will support be cut off,
will there be a transition window, or is it currently undefined?

Alex

* Re: [OE-core] [yocto] Yocto Project Status WW18`21
@ 2021-05-04 22:32   ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-05-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, Stephen Jolley; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, OE-core

On Tue, 2021-05-04 at 18:38 +0200, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 16:46, Stephen Jolley <sjolley.yp.pm@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce that our April 2022 release (potentially 3.5) will
> > be the next LTS as per our original two year schedule. If there are features
> > desired in the next LTS, now is the time to get them submitted and stabilized
> > ready.
> >

> What will happen to the current LTS at that point? Will support be cut off,
> will there be a transition window, or is it currently undefined?

We have discussed extending it but we currently only have the funding for the
originally planned 2 years. Discussions are continuing but since we do all
agree that the next LTS will start then, we decided to at least let people
plan against that.

Unless funding/support is secured, dunfell would move to community support
if anyone were willing to step up, or become EOL and replaced by the new LTS.
There would likely be some period of overlap of a few months to transition.

There is also concern about pressuring wider community layers for longer support
cycles which is something we need to think about.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [OE-core] [yocto] Yocto Project Status WW18`21
@ 2021-05-05 14:11     ` Zoran
From: Zoran @ 2021-05-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie
  Cc: Alexander Kanavin, Stephen Jolley, Yocto discussion list, OE-core

> We have discussed extending it but we currently only have the funding
> for the originally planned 2 years.

Really/echt??? Why? ;)

Zoran
_______