* WHAT IS YOCTO PROJECT ACTUALLY MEAN?
@ 2024-02-18 10:56 cqthoctap
From: cqthoctap @ 2024-02-18 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everyone,

I am new to Yocto and sorry for my poor english.  I have a question is that, what actually Yocto is?. I am so confuse about this term. Of courses i have done some research and the definition on the internet is " *Yocto is an open source collaboration project that helps developers create custom Linux-based systems* ", but what does that actually mean. Is Yocto is a combine of some tool like Kbuild, mkimage to build Linux kernel and Uboot for example. Please help me clear this mist

* Re: [yocto] WHAT IS YOCTO PROJECT ACTUALLY MEAN?
@ 2024-02-18 13:08 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2024-02-18 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cqthoctap, yocto

I think you could start with this page

https://www.yoctoproject.org/development/technical-overview/

Alex

@ 2024-02-18 15:50   ` cqthoctap
From: cqthoctap @ 2024-02-18 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, yocto

Thanks for your reply.

I have go through your recommend article, and I have a question. " Yocto is an open source collaboration project " and in my opinion " open source collaboration project" is a process of  create and maintain open source software, so what open source software does Yocto maintain?

* Re: [yocto] WHAT IS YOCTO PROJECT ACTUALLY MEAN?
@ 2024-02-19 10:44     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2024-02-19 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, cqthoctap

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 at 16:50, <cqthoctap@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I have go through your recommend article, and I have a question. "Yocto is an open source collaboration project" and in my opinion "open source collaboration project" is a process of  create and maintain open source software, so what open source software does Yocto maintain?

The answer is directly in the article. Note the list at the start:

"The Yocto Project combines and maintains several key elements:"

and the section "Components And Tools Maintained By The Yocto Project"
(which has a link to a more detailed description of each).

The git repositories for them are:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/
https://git.openembedded.org/

Alex