* How to remove the python3 from Yocto SDK
@ 2022-06-07  9:47 Vinothkumar Eswaran
From: Vinothkumar Eswaran @ 2022-06-07  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

May I know how to remove python3 from the host and target sdk package ?

TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_remove = " nativesdk-python3-core", seems not to work.

The image is built on top of core-image. Python3 is not installed to image.
We deliver SDK to other teams and they are complaining that python3 in sdk
is causing problems after sourcing the sdk. They want to use host python3
instead of the one delivered from Yocto SDK. Could you help ?

Thanks & regards,
Vinothkumar

* Re: [yocto] How to remove the python3 from Yocto SDK
@ 2022-06-07 10:20 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-06-07 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would help if you explain what the problems are. Generally things
are tested together with the python provided from yocto, so if you use
tooling from the host, you might run into other problems.

Alex

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 at 11:47, Vinothkumar Eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> May I know how to remove python3 from the host and target sdk package ?
>
> TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK_remove = " nativesdk-python3-core", seems not to work.
>
> The image is built on top of core-image. Python3 is not installed to image. We deliver SDK to other teams and they are complaining that python3 in sdk is causing problems after sourcing the sdk. They want to use host python3 instead of the one delivered from Yocto SDK. Could you help ?
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Vinothkumar

* Re: How to remove the python3 from Yocto SDK
@ 2022-06-07 10:36   ` Vinothkumar Eswaran
From: Vinothkumar Eswaran @ 2022-06-07 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks Alex for your reply. What kind of testing you mean ?

The problem is when other teams use Yocto sdk after sourcing it, python3 is pointing to the one from SDK and not from the host. During the build for some analysis, the team require python modules which is not part of the standard yocto sdk. These python modules are already installed to the host. Because of the PATH change, the build fails with no python modules found. The python modules the team use is customized ones and adding it to image is not an option here.

* Re: [yocto] How to remove the python3 from Yocto SDK
@ 2022-06-07 10:56     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-06-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to do additional investigation to give a better answer, but is
it possible for the team to start the host python with a full path,
e.g. /usr/bin/python3, so that PATH doesn't get in the way?

Alex

@ 2022-06-07 12:21       ` Vinothkumar Eswaran
From: Vinothkumar Eswaran @ 2022-06-07 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Alex,

yes the absolute path works. May I ask why python3 is part of the SDK and is it possible to remove it from the SDK ?

@ 2022-06-07 13:56         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-06-07 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Python3 isn't directly pulled into the SDK, but is a runtime
dependency of other items, such as meson. You can check that by

$ bitbake core-image-minimal -g -c populate_sdk

and reading/grepping the .dot file for nativesdk-python3.

Meson in turn is pulled in by the sdk packagegroup:

$ grep nativesdk-meson task-depends.dot |grep packagegroup
"nativesdk-packagegroup-sdk-host.do_package_write_rpm" ->
"nativesdk-meson.do_packagedata"

I guess if you drop all python consumers from packagegroups, then
python won't get pulled in either, but that is swimming in uncharted
waters, and you'll need to ensure replacements from the host are
available.

Alex

@ 2022-06-09  7:32           ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2022-06-09  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would be fairly simple to make a ‘dummy’ python3 recipe, like there already is for perl, which you can explicitly add to the SDK to use the host python. This would break anything inside the SDK which is a Python module with a C extension, as those need to be build against the right python.

Ross

From: yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org <yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org> on behalf of Alexander Kanavin via lists.yoctoproject.org <alex.kanavin=gmail.com@lists.yoctoproject.org>
Date: Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 14:56
To: Vinothkumar Eswaran <evinoth1206@gmail.com>