* ptest-runner "No ptests found."
@ 2018-08-16 14:07 Nader Hariri
From: Nader Hariri @ 2018-08-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi, I am new to Yocto. I am working on ptest-runner.

I followed the wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Ptest , but when I boot to my image and run ptest-runner I have the output : "No ptests found."

Is this normal ? I thought that

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"

and

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs"

 would install all the ptests for me in my image, apparently I am wrong but could you please explain to me why this is not the case i.e why ptests are not automatically installed in the image even though I included the above lines in my local.conf ?

Thx,
raden

* Re: ptest-runner "No ptests found."
@ 2018-08-20 11:09 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-20 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nader Hariri; +Cc: yocto

> Hi, I am new to Yocto. I am working on ptest-runner.
>
> I followed the wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Ptest , but when I
> boot to my image and run ptest-runner I have the output : "No ptests found."
>
> Is this normal ? I thought that
>
> DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ptest"
>
> and
>
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs"
>
>  would install all the ptests for me in my image, apparently I am wrong but
> could you please explain to me why this is not the case i.e why ptests are
> not automatically installed in the image even though I included the above
> lines in my local.conf ?

Please note that ptests are only supported by a (small) subset of
recipes. If none of the packages that are in your image are
ptest-enabled, then no ptests will go to the image. Is there a recipe
in particular for which you expected ptests to be in the image, and
they're not?

Alex

* Re: ptest-runner "No ptests found."
@ 2018-08-20 12:07   ` Nader Hariri
From: Nader Hariri @ 2018-08-20 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

Yes, I expect to find in my image ptests for systemd and zlib because these recipes are ptest-enabled.

In fact, after some trials, I got to understand that the problem is related to  EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "ptest-pkgs" , because  I replaced it with IMAGE_FEATURES_append = " ptest-pkgs" in local.conf and to my surprise I found all -ptests packages from all the ptest-enabled recipes in my image.

So,  contrary to what is stated in the ptest wiki and the yocto documentation, using EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES doesn't install ptests packages (from ptest-enabled recipes) in my image, and I can't figure out why ..
<https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#testing-packages-with-ptest>

Nader
________________________________

@ 2018-08-20 12:26     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-20 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nader Hariri; +Cc: yocto

> So,  contrary to what is stated in the ptest wiki and the yocto
> documentation, using EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES doesn't install ptests packages
> (from ptest-enabled recipes) in my image, and I can't figure out why ..

You can run 'bitbake -e <image>' to figure out why
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES has no effect. In my tests (poky master) it seems
to work as intended:

#
# $IMAGE_FEATURES [8 operations]
#   append /home/alexander/development/meta-qt5/conf/layer.conf:36
#     [validitems] "qtcreator-debug"
#   set? /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc:24
#     ""
#   set /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:208
#     [doc] "The primary list of features to include in an image.
Configure this variable in an image recipe."
#   append /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:812
#     "${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
#   set? /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/classes/image.bbclass:34
#     ""
#   set /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/classes/image.bbclass:35
#     [type] "list"
#   append /home/alexander/development/poky/meta/classes/image.bbclass:36
#     [validitems] "debug-tweaks read-only-rootfs empty-root-password
allow-empty-password allow-root-login post-install-logging"
#   set image.bbclass:166
[__anon_168__home_alexander_development_poky_meta_classes_image_bbclass]
#     "debug-tweaks"
# pre-expansion value:
#   "debug-tweaks"
IMAGE_FEATURES="debug-tweaks"

Alex

* Re: ptest-runner "No ptests found."
@ 2018-08-20 13:36       ` Nader Hariri
From: Nader Hariri @ 2018-08-20 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

I ran 'bitbake -e <image>' as you have suggested. I can see from the logs that the variable IMAGE_FEATURES does get appended the value of ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}, however I still have no -ptest packages in my image. Is there anything wrong in my logs?

# $IMAGE_FEATURES [3 operations]
#   set? /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc:23
#     ""
#   set /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:210
#     [doc] "The primary list of features to include in an image. Configure this variable in an image recipe."
#   append /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:806
#     "${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
# pre-expansion value:
#   " ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
IMAGE_FEATURES="  ptest-pkgs"

Nader
________________________________

@ 2018-08-20 13:54         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nader Hariri; +Cc: yocto

> I ran 'bitbake -e <image>' as you have suggested. I can see from the logs
> that the variable IMAGE_FEATURES does get appended the value of
> ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}, however I still have no -ptest packages in my
> image. Is there anything wrong in my logs?
>

> # $IMAGE_FEATURES [3 operations]
> #   set?
> /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc:23
> #     ""
> #   set
> /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:210
> #     [doc] "The primary list of features to include in an image. Configure
> this variable in an image recipe."
> #   append /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:806
> #     "${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
> # pre-expansion value:
> #   " ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
> IMAGE_FEATURES="  ptest-pkgs"

The space looks suspicious in there. Can you try to set
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES directly with = instead of appending to it?

Alex

* Re: ptest-runner "No ptests found."
@ 2018-08-21  7:54           ` Nader Hariri
From: Nader Hariri @ 2018-08-21  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

ok, so I changed my local.conf from IMAGE_FEATURES_append = " ptest-pkgs" to EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "ptest-pkgs", here are the logs:

# $IMAGE_FEATURES [3 operations]
#   set? /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc:23
#     ""
#   set /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:210
#     [doc] "The primary list of features to include in an image. Configure this variable in an image recipe."
#   append /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:806
#     "${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
# pre-expansion value:
#   " ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
IMAGE_FEATURES=" ptest-pkgs"

As we can see, I still have the suspicious space but it has shrunk from 2 spaces to 1 space. And -ptest packages didn't get installed in my image.

Nader
________________________________

@ 2018-08-21  8:30             ` Alexander Kanavin
       [not found]               ` <HE1PR06MB168936FB8DFCB8CC0564B8FB94310@HE1PR06MB1689.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com>
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-21  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nader Hariri; +Cc: yocto

This looks like we *might* have a bug in here. Extra whitespace like
this should not have such broken effects. Can you add some unrelated
feature to IMAGE_FEATURES, so that we get a list without leading and
trailing whitespaces?

Alex

@ 2018-08-22  5:26                 ` Nader Hariri
From: Nader Hariri @ 2018-08-22  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: yocto

I added some features so my local.conf looks like this:

IMAGE_FEATURES = "tools-debug debug-tweaks"
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "ptest-pkgs"

here are my logs:

# $IMAGE_FEATURES [4 operations]
#   set /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/meta-corbos-linux/scripts/build/conf/local.conf:62
#     "tools-debug debug-tweaks"
#   set? /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/distro/include/default-distrovars.inc:23
#     ""
#   set /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:210
#     [doc] "The primary list of features to include in an image. Configure this variable in an image recipe."
#   append /home/nader/poky-docker/workdir/poky/meta/conf/bitbake.conf:806
#     "${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
# pre-expansion value:
#   "tools-debug debug-tweaks ${EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES}"
IMAGE_FEATURES="tools-debug debug-tweaks ptest-pkgs"

Now the suspicious space disappears, however there are no -ptest packages installed in my image.

Nader