* kclient: Missing directories
@ 2013-08-16 18:19 Milosz Tanski
From: Milosz Tanski @ 2013-08-16 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: Sage Weil

I've been experiencing some weird issues with the kclient that I don't
know how to debug. In some cases the kclient is only seeing part of
the directory tree.

For example earlier today one clients was not seeing a top level
directory (with around 100G of data) that's been created on the ceph
cluster for 2 months now. After I removed another unrelated directory
(also at the top level) in a different node this node started seeing
this.

I don't really know how to debug this issue as it seams intermittent
and comes and goes (as you see). Usually re-mounting helps.

If you have any pointers how to deal / debug with this when file /
directory becomes invisible I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
- Milosz

* Re: kclient: Missing directories
@ 2013-08-16 20:12 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-08-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milosz Tanski; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Milosz,

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Milosz Tanski wrote:
> I've been experiencing some weird issues with the kclient that I don't
> know how to debug. In some cases the kclient is only seeing part of
> the directory tree.
>
> For example earlier today one clients was not seeing a top level
> directory (with around 100G of data) that's been created on the ceph
> cluster for 2 months now. After I removed another unrelated directory
> (also at the top level) in a different node this node started seeing
> this.
>
> I don't really know how to debug this issue as it seams intermittent
> and comes and goes (as you see). Usually re-mounting helps.
>
> If you have any pointers how to deal / debug with this when file /
> directory becomes invisible I would greatly appreciate it.

This sounds like it might http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5927.  I just
pushed a patch from Yan into the testing branch that hopefully resoles an
issue with d_prune in the VFS, so we'll hopefully know shortly if that
resolves the problem.  Unfortunately in our QA it's not something that
triggers very often so only time will tell.  If this is something you can
reproduce easily, that is good news...

sage

* Re: kclient: Missing directories
@ 2013-08-16 20:50   ` Milosz Tanski
From: Milosz Tanski @ 2013-08-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Okay,

I'll incorporate rebase our work on top of testing once Yan's changes
have some time to make it through the test bots.

Sadly it's very intermittent for us happening randomly... I feel like
we experience it once or twice a week. It might be that we're more
prone to it then the test bots because we end rewriting a lot of data
(when new data makes it into our system we end up optimizing it a few
times in the first few days before it settles).

Thanks,
-- Milosz