* PCIe P2P access to GPU memory
@ 2018-09-29  7:00 Dirk Eibach
From: Dirk Eibach @ 2018-09-29  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel, christian.koenig

I want to access GPU VRAM via PCIe P2P access, like DirectGMA but with
mainline drivers.
I can acquire a dmabuf from the GPU and pass it to my PCIe
framegrabber. But I don't see a way to get the PCIe bus address of the
video memory which I need for the P2P transfer. Is there already any
infrastructure in place for doing this? If not, what would be the
right way to implement this? Add another callback to the dmabuf
struct?

Cheers
Dirk

* Re: PCIe P2P access to GPU memory
@ 2018-09-29  7:27 ` Koenig, Christian
From: Koenig, Christian @ 2018-09-29  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eibach; +Cc: dri-devel

This is work in progress.

I published patches to enable DMA_buf P2P a few months ago, but now I'm waiting for the PCI subsystem to pick up core support for this.

I can prepare you a branch based on current upstream kernel next week if you want to test this.

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2018-09-29  8:17   ` Dirk Eibach
From: Dirk Eibach @ 2018-09-29  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian.Koenig; +Cc: dri-devel

> This is work in progress.
>
> I published patches to enable DMA_buf P2P a few months ago, but now I'm waiting for the PCI subsystem to pick up core support for this.

Great news! Can you give me a link to this series so I can already have a look?

> I can prepare you a branch based on current upstream kernel next week if you want to test this.

That would be awesome, thanks.

@ 2018-09-29  9:53     ` Dieter Nützel
From: Dieter Nützel @ 2018-09-29  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eibach; +Cc: Christian.Koenig, dri-devel

Hello Dirk,

I think Christian is talking about this branch:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/linux/log/?h=p2p

His 'home' is, here:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~deathsimple/linux/

Happy hacking! ;-)

Dieter

@ 2018-10-01 13:07       ` Dirk Eibach
From: Dirk Eibach @ 2018-10-01 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter; +Cc: Christian.Koenig, dri-devel

Hi Christian,

I took the repository Dieter suggested and gave it a spin. I am not
sure, if I got the API right.

In userspace I create a bo and get a fd.
bo = gbm_bo_create(gbm, w, h, GBM_FORMAT_ARGB8888, GBM_BO_USE_LINEAR);
dmabuf_fd = gbm_bo_get_fd(bo);

Then I pass the fd to the grabber driver. There I get a sgt, that I
want to pass to the DMA-machine.
struct dma_buf_attach_info dma_buf_attach_info = {
    .dev = &engine->xdev->pdev->dev,
    .peer2peer = true,
};
dma_buf = dma_buf_get(xdma_dma_buf_ioctl.dma_buf_fd);
dma_buf_attach_info.dmabuf = dma_buf;
dma_buf_attachment = dma_buf_attach(&dma_buf_attach_info);
sgt = dma_buf_map_attachment(dma_buf_attachment, DMA_TO_DEVICE);

But the addresses in the sgt do not look like PCIe addresses at at all.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Dirk

@ 2018-10-01 18:12         ` Christian König
From: Christian König @ 2018-10-01 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Eibach, Dieter; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi Dirk,

> Any ideas?
Could be anything. Most likely cause is that some function things the
two device can't communicate directly with each other.

Please provide a full dmesg and "lspci -t -nn -v" as attachment and note
which devices should communicate with which.

I'm currently on vacation so it could take a while till I have time to
look deeper into this.

Christian.

@ 2018-10-01 18:47           ` Dirk Eibach
From: Dirk Eibach @ 2018-10-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi Christian,

Could I simply force it by overwriting peer2peer after the attach call?

Cheers
Dirk

@ 2018-10-03  7:14   ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2018-10-03  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König; +Cc: dirk.eibach, dri-devel

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 9:27 AM Koenig, Christian
<Christian.Koenig@amd.com> wrote:

> This is work in progress.
>
> I published patches to enable DMA_buf P2P a few months ago, but now I'm waiting for the PCI subsystem to pick up core support for this.
>
> I can prepare you a branch based on current upstream kernel next week if you want to test this.

Thread hijack, since I just read the lwn article on p2p for storage folks:

https://lwn.net/Articles/767281/

Totally doesn't match what I remember of your dma-buf p2p work. Do we
need to rework, or is this some kind of higher-level interface on top
of the raw p2p pci stuff? Or do I misremember.

Thanks, Daniel

> Regards,
> Christian.
>
> Am 29.09.2018 09:01 schrieb Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach@googlemail.com>:
> I want to access GPU VRAM via PCIe P2P access, like DirectGMA but with
> mainline drivers.
> I can acquire a dmabuf from the GPU and pass it to my PCIe
> framegrabber. But I don't see a way to get the PCIe bus address of the
> video memory which I need for the P2P transfer. Is there already any
> infrastructure in place for doing this? If not, what would be the
> right way to implement this? Add another callback to the dmabuf
> struct?
>
> Cheers
> Dirk

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch

* Re: PCIe P2P access to GPU memory
@ 2018-10-03  8:54     ` Koenig, Christian
From: Koenig, Christian @ 2018-10-03  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: dirk.eibach, dri-devel

Am 03.10.2018 um 09:14 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 9:27 AM Koenig, Christian
> <Christian.Koenig@amd.com> wrote:
>> This is work in progress.
>>
>> I published patches to enable DMA_buf P2P a few months ago, but now I'm waiting for the PCI subsystem to pick up core support for this.
>>
>> I can prepare you a branch based on current upstream kernel next week if you want to test this.
> Thread hijack, since I just read the lwn article on p2p for storage folks:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/767281/
>
> Totally doesn't match what I remember of your dma-buf p2p work. Do we
> need to rework, or is this some kind of higher-level interface on top
> of the raw p2p pci stuff? Or do I misremember.

The P2P from the storage folks are some mix of raw p2p capability
detection for PCI and higher level interface.

I'm actually waiting for that stuff to land to extract the p2p
capability detection and use it for this DMA-buf stuff as well.

Alternative would be to convince Logan to extract the capability
detection in his patch set as well, but so far he wasn't very keen about
that.

Christian.

@ 2018-10-03  9:06       ` Daniel Vetter
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2018-10-03  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koenig, Christian; +Cc: dirk.eibach, dri-devel

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 08:54:44AM +0000, Koenig, Christian wrote:
> Am 03.10.2018 um 09:14 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 9:27 AM Koenig, Christian
> > <Christian.Koenig@amd.com> wrote:
> >> This is work in progress.
> >>
> >> I published patches to enable DMA_buf P2P a few months ago, but now I'm waiting for the PCI subsystem to pick up core support for this.
> >>
> >> I can prepare you a branch based on current upstream kernel next week if you want to test this.
> > Thread hijack, since I just read the lwn article on p2p for storage folks:
> >
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/767281/
> >
> > Totally doesn't match what I remember of your dma-buf p2p work. Do we
> > need to rework, or is this some kind of higher-level interface on top
> > of the raw p2p pci stuff? Or do I misremember.
>
> The P2P from the storage folks are some mix of raw p2p capability
> detection for PCI and higher level interface.
>
> I'm actually waiting for that stuff to land to extract the p2p
> capability detection and use it for this DMA-buf stuff as well.
>
> Alternative would be to convince Logan to extract the capability
> detection in his patch set as well, but so far he wasn't very keen about
> that.

So no plan to make dma-buf some kind of orchestrator and use the p2p
map_sg stuff? That seems to be the new/additional bits I haven't seen yet,
and I'm wondered how we should fit dma-buf into that picture.
-Daniel

> Christian.
>

> > Thanks, Daniel
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Christian.
> >>
> >> Am 29.09.2018 09:01 schrieb Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach@googlemail.com>:
> >> I want to access GPU VRAM via PCIe P2P access, like DirectGMA but with
> >> mainline drivers.
> >> I can acquire a dmabuf from the GPU and pass it to my PCIe
> >> framegrabber. But I don't see a way to get the PCIe bus address of the
> >> video memory which I need for the P2P transfer. Is there already any
> >> infrastructure in place for doing this? If not, what would be the
> >> right way to implement this? Add another callback to the dmabuf
> >> struct?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Dirk

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch

* Re: PCIe P2P access to GPU memory
@ 2018-10-03 13:37         ` Christian König
From: Christian König @ 2018-10-03 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Koenig, Christian; +Cc: dirk.eibach, dri-devel

Am 03.10.2018 um 11:06 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 08:54:44AM +0000, Koenig, Christian wrote:
>> Am 03.10.2018 um 09:14 schrieb Daniel Vetter:

>>> Thread hijack, since I just read the lwn article on p2p for storage folks:
>>>
>>> https://lwn.net/Articles/767281/
>>>
>>> Totally doesn't match what I remember of your dma-buf p2p work. Do we
>>> need to rework, or is this some kind of higher-level interface on top
>>> of the raw p2p pci stuff? Or do I misremember.
>> The P2P from the storage folks are some mix of raw p2p capability
>> detection for PCI and higher level interface.
>>
>> I'm actually waiting for that stuff to land to extract the p2p
>> capability detection and use it for this DMA-buf stuff as well.
>>
>> Alternative would be to convince Logan to extract the capability
>> detection in his patch set as well, but so far he wasn't very keen about
>> that.
> So no plan to make dma-buf some kind of orchestrator and use the p2p
> map_sg stuff?

Not sure about that yet. Didn't had time to take a closer look.

Christian.